2015 AXPONA - Chicago, IL pictures

WLDock
WLDock Posts: 3,073
Once again, the show is larger than I had time for. Multi-floors, Seminars, Live concerts, etc. You really need two solid days, Nevertheless I had a great time and really enjoyed listening to the very different sounding rooms, meeting new people, and talking music and audio.

Long list of exhibitors - 7 Floors!
P1040376.jpg

Focal Aria 948, Devialet D200, REL Acoustics S2 Longbow - very surprising and organic sound here.
P1040413.jpg

Sonus Faber Lillium, Audio Research G Series - Awesome sound.
P1040402.jpg

Magico Q7 Mk.II, Aesthetix - Sweet and resolving sound!
P1040400.jpg

Wilson Audio Alexia, Dan D'Agostino Momentum - OMG!, OMG! the detail and bass was off the charts!
P1040387.jpg

Dan D'Agostino Master Audio Systems - WOW!
P1040385.jpg

Wilson Audio Sabrina, Doshi Doshi Audio, Brinkmann Audio - Very nice.
P1040390.jpg

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum, Plinius - very Nice
P1040410.jpg

MBL Noble Line - great dispersion.
P1040384.jpg

Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand, Primare I32 Integrated - I really liked these. I listened to these right before the GoldenEar.
P1040396.jpg

GoldenEar Technology, Parasound Halo Integrated, JL Audio - Nice sound...but not as nice as the Vienna. Not sure if it was the material or what?
P1040397.jpg

B&W 802 Nautilus , McCormack
P1040408.jpg

Tyler Acoustics, Rogue Audio
P1040398.jpg

Benchmark DAC2 HGC, AHB2 Amp, SMS1 monitors - What a cool little system!
P1040395.jpg

Madisound , Linkwitz LXmini , MiniDSP, Benchmark, Emotiva - Nice sounding project. Needs a little more low end.
P1040392.jpg
P1040394.jpg

Vaper Audio "Perfect Storm", Lamm Industries - WOW! Wow! WOW! Great sound and construction. I loved these! RAAL tweet, Accuton mid, AudioTechnology woofer.
P1040419.jpg

Vaper Audio "Perfect Storm"- CNC cut, stacked Baltic Birch plywood
P1040422.jpg

Vaper Audio "Perfect Storm"- 360lbs each, $26,995/pair - If I was in the $25K speaker market this co. would be high up on the list!
P1040423.jpg

Sadurni Acoustics Staccato, Merrill Audio - So fun to listen to!
P1040383.jpg

KEF Reference & Blade, Parasound Halo
P1040382.jpg

Classic Audio Loudspeakers - The jazz cuts were flowing!
P1040381.jpg

HSU Research - What a bargain, great sound.
P1040404.jpg

Zu Audio Druid, Pass Labs - Man, was these system belting out some funk! They were jammin' in that huge room.
P1040380.jpg

Seaton Sound 7 ch + 2 stacked SubMersives in each corner! -
P1040418.jpg

AIX records, Benchmark, Revel - Hi-Res 5.1 Surround Demo
P1040379.jpg
P1040378.jpg

There was SO much more....but That's all folks!
2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2

Comments

• WLDock
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Thank you. That was awesome. I wish I knew it was in town as I was only an hour away in Beloit for three days this weekend. Very nice pictures and descriptions. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    You see the 24" woofer from deep sea audio? I bet that baby was a beast!!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • WLDock
    edited April 2015
    24" subs? I missed that....but the owner of Vapor Audio ( one of my new favs) says he is doing a home theater for a high profile client. .. $1Mil floating room! They will be using two 24" up front and some 18's in back...and THREE OF THE PERFECT STORMS UPFRONT!!!. I wonder if that is the same sub they are using?

Man,..... I did see the dual 18" Magico QSub.... that thing is HUGE!
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Can you imagine 2 stacked SubMersives in each corner, 8 SubMersives in one room,wow! :D
  • WLDock
    Yeah, that ballroom was huge and they had Furious 6 playing near references level at the end of the show. They were moving some air for sure!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Thanks for the pics. I had to DJ that weekend otherwise I would have gone.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • WLDock
    Glad to post them up. For sure try to make it next year.....there is so much to check out all in one place.
  • Polkie2009
    WLDock wrote: »
    Yeah, that ballroom was huge and they had Furious 6 playing near references level at the end of the show. They were moving some air for sure!
    People's hair was probably being blown back from all the bass waves permeating the room. >:)

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Thank you for sharing the pictures. nice stuff
  • WLDock
    Yes! Very nice stuff, even...$229K speakers, the Magico Q7 Mk II. I'm looking for a house for less money than that. LOL! But oh boy did they sound awesome. Some guy quieted down the room and they played a requested track of his. It was a very well recorded orchestra recording and it sounded like they were in the room.....and I mean big sound and depth....yet so sweet and pure sounding violins.
  • erniejade
    How did the b&w do vs some of the others in that price rang? When I heard them it was in a less the ideal setting. Did you get the hear legacys newest?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • WLDock
    edited May 2015
    Well....one has to put a show in perspective. Even though the sum of all parts are generally mated well, the room might be a challenge for some. Like in the KEF room for example, there was a high freq whine from a florescent ballast that was getting on my nerves during the Demo of the Reference and Blade Series. I was there at the right time to get to hear both (heard them last year also) but I still had to block that out and I was not seated in the sweet spot. Also, I don't like to go into too much detail between speakers as my time was limited and its hard to make strong comparisons....and someone always cries foul!

Having said all that...here goes...

The older $8K retail 802 Nautilus are gorgeous competent speakers but something was not doing it for me. The top to bottom balance was not the best on the tracks I heard so I did not stay in the room very long. There was a lot of top end detail however....

Nevertheless, I thought the cheaper $5k Focal Aria 948 was knocking it out of the park in an audio show sea of much more costly speakers. The Salk speaker at the $6-12K price point I also like better. The cheaper Tyler Acoustics D2x Special Edition speaker I though had just as much detail ,and complete overall sound vs. the 802's. Would for sure take those over them. Also, the music that was coming out of the Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand was pretty special as well... The sales manager there knows what he is doing...great material and great demo!

As far as Legacy Audio...you would have to bring them up and make me kick myself again. They were on my list but by the time I got back down to the main floor (After checking out the other six!) I ran out of time! CRAP! However, I listened to their room last year and the Focus SE and the Aeris were exceptional! If I had that type of money the Legacy Aeris would be in the top five list for me. I'm a fan of the idea of built-in active bass as well as DSP room correction...many in the 2 ch world don't want it.

Anyway, my pictures are not even that great and there was a TON more to see and listen to. Check out some from the Pro's:
    http://www.axpona.com/photos.asp

MidWest Audio Club - show coverage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPFPJ3oUPks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YeAk8u_K0s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G47ACZtQtsE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKGB2aCAf_M

Vaper Audio - Ryan Scott, Great guys here with a great product....I enjoyed talking with these guys. Great sound and openness...in stating that looks matter too at the high end.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJzPngeIa98

other AXPONA 2015 videos
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/AXPONA_2015/videos/

All interested in hi-end audio should try to make it to at least one show at some point. There's just SO much to see and listen to and people to meet. Also, most are trying to offer deals to sell the stuff! All types of things to spend your money on. Even if you don't have an "audio show budget (I don't, $10K-$300K plus systems)," its nice to just sit back and enjoy the music!
    Post edited by WLDock on
  • Polkie2009
    Awesome videos WLD! Nice of you to post them. :)
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    WLD -

Thanks for posting!

Did you hear the Strad room?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    I bet the Q7mk2 was off the chain.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • erniejade
    I had some tyler taylos. They were a darn gokd speaker!. The Aeris I have heard from a few they loved it. Not just the looks but the sound.

I hope next year I dont have a gig so I can go. Last year same thing. I was going to go but wound up with a gig.

• WLDock
    edited May 2015
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    Awesome videos WLD! Nice of you to post them. :)
    Glad to do it. I have to keep the spirit of the music going.....its still all about the music and staying true to it....nice gear does that for you.
    Joey_V wrote: »
    WLD -
    Thanks for posting! Did you hear the Strad room?
    Oh God, now you too are bringing up a room I wanted to spend more time in....another kick myself moment. I ended up running through the 4th floor towards the end due to lack of time. I briefly heard that room with the Pass amps. This is a room i would have liked to listen to for 30 minutes or so, very sweet sound....there were some classics playing when i went by there. I spend much too much time on the 12th floor,
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I bet the Q7mk2 was off the chain.
    Like I said...I spent too much time on the Quintessence Audio 12th floor. The Magico room was a full house and there was a little bit of chatter going on....and guys snapping pictures in front of the huge sub, etc, etc. Then, a patron asked all in the room if they would quiet down right before his demo. Joey, I have to tell you man....it was like being in the forward most rows of a concert hall. The sound was very "true" and "BIG." We were all listening to a Major league speaker for sure. I could see a recording studio using these for mastering large field orchestra recordings....these were amazing. I for one was glad I was able to be a part of that moment....it sounded SO good with the room quiet.
    erniejade wrote: »
    I had some tyler taylos. They were a darn gokd speaker!. The Aeris I have heard from a few they loved it. Not just the looks but the sound. I hope next year I dont have a gig so I can go. Last year same thing. I was going to go but wound up with a gig.
    Man, if/when you do make a show your are going to want to find many gigs. The show makes you want to buy something! So, much stuff....not just mega buck systems...but cables, vinyl, CD's, headphone rigs, etc... and everything else.
    Post edited by WLDock on
  • Joey_V
    If I was rich, I would be entertaining the Q7.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited May 2015
    Talk about a great and even greater presentation. Just walk from one adjoining room into the other. Carl, Dan, Doug, Aaron and I got there early Friday. One day is plenty for me.

strad_1.jpg

strad_2.jpg

strad_3.jpg

strad_4.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Joey_V
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Talk about a great and even greater presentation. Just walk from one adjoining room into the other. Carl, Dan, Doug, Aaron and I got there early Friday. One day is plenty for me.

strad_1.jpg

strad_2.jpg

strad_3.jpg

strad_4.jpg

Wow... what color are the lower set of Strads? I don't think that's red violin anymore.... is that maple?

How did they sound??
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    WLDock,

Thank you for the great posts, pics, videos.

You've convinced me that going to AXPONA or a similar show needs to be high on my bucket list.

Were the Wilson Alexias all they are cravked up to be?
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• WLDock
    edited May 2015
    Talk about a great and even greater presentation. Just walk from one adjoining room into the other.
    WOW, I missed the second room?

Were the Wilson Alexias all they are cracked up to be?
    Yes, they had their own character for sure. The music had a lot of presence, body and life. The room was large and it was a full house for the demo....the bass was so full , very solid and large. The speakers were very detailed on top with warmth down low. Very nice sounding speaker...but for ~$50K? I don't know? There are many ~$25K and less speakers that are really nice....like the Legacy Aeris for example. just comes down to personal tastes and budget.
  • Joey_V

strad_1.jpg

Interesting turn of events. The actual owner of those Strads in the pictures above has contacted me to buy his pair.
  • Polkie2009
    Those Strads are gorgeous Joey. I'm going to have to go back through WLD's videos and look for them.
  • WLDock
    edited May 2015
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    Those Strads are gorgeous Joey. I'm going to have to go back through WLD's videos and look for them.
    You mean the MidWest Audio Club's videos.....I'm just linked them.

Anyway, those Strads are So beautiful. Just so different that you average speaker. Even a non audiophile type would take notice.

• Polkie2009
    I wanted to ask you WLD, did you get a chance to spend much time with the Lawrence Audio speakers?
  • Joey_V
    Yep, owner of 1 yr old strads. He has both the orange and darker red ones. He wants to get rid the original orange ones for another pair of darker red ones. Selling it to me for 20.

I'm trying to get shipping thrown in.
  • Joey_V
    But I found his friend who also has the darker red strads... Selling for 22.5.

He wants to move up to the 70k Liliums.

Which is better? Orange/red or dark red??
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    WLDock wrote: »
    WOW, I missed the second room?

They didn't make it real clear. I noticed the two sweeps and asked and was directed into the other room.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *