Arcam rDAC - Who has experience?

DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,962
edited June 2014 in Going Digital
There is one available locally and I'm thinking about giving it a whirl. Anyone heard this little DAC?
Post edited by DSkip on

Comments

• voltzvoltz Posts: 5,217
    edited May 2014
    is that the one called the solo? on Audio Advisor I think I saw it has a antennae, and they had links to many pro reviews.

and they have a video for it on their website
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • AsSiMiLaTeDAsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,717
    edited May 2014
    I'm generally not a fan of the Wolfson chips, but in your system Skip it may work quite well. Those chips tend to sound a bit warm and laid back, and with your speakers being on the more forward side of things it may balance out the sound well.

If I remember the sound of your DAC correctly, this will likely be a bit more relaxed sounding and take a little bit of the edge off the top end.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,962
    edited May 2014
    You had me forget it at warm. My system is bordering too warm for me in my room. I need some top end sparkle and sharper imaging... definitely not a warm sound.
    edited May 2014
    Take a look at the W4S DACs then, the W4S DAC 2 for sale here on the forum may be just what you need. They're not bright, but are on the forward side of things.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,962
    edited May 2014
    Take a look at the W4S DACs then, the W4S DAC 2 for sale here on the forum may be just what you need. They're not bright, but are on the forward side of things.

They're also lifeless in my system. I didn't mind it, but I couldn't wait to get the HDACC back in the rig. I'm not discontent with the HDACC, just saw the Arcam for sale and it got me curious.
    edited May 2014
    Agreed on the W4S, didn't do much for me either but they are definitely not warm. If you don't like the W4S you can go ahead and mark the Benchmark models off your list as well, if you have a list...
  • B RunB Run Posts: 1,896
    edited May 2014
    I had one for a little bit and liked it a lot, great bang for the buck. I would say it leans towards the warmer side and won't add that top end sparkle you're looking for. However in my Rotel and Klipsch system I had it was fantastic.
    Living Room: Polk Lsim705’s, Lsim 704c, SVS SB12-NSD, Yamaha Rxa-2030, Denon DBT1713, Doug's Furutech SC's, Pepster PC's, Vizio 75" 4K M Series, Airport Express

Bedroom: 70" Vizio, Pioneer Vsx530, Boston Acoustics CR7’s

Theater Room: BenQ HT2050a, Stewart Firehawk 110", Pioneer Elite SC63, Lsim703’s, LSiM706c, Lsim 702f/x, SVS SB12-NSD, Xbox One
  • deafbykhornsdeafbykhorns Posts: 150
    edited May 2014
    Have you thought about something on the used market?
    Enlightened Audio is where I ended up with DAC's
    Couldnt stand the new generation of DACs including the Sabre DAC
    Main System- Scratch built 2A3 , Lightspeed preamp, Technics SP15/Graham/XV1s,Klipschorns w/ALK xovers/Trachorns, Speakercraft MT8(4), Sonos ZP90, Yamaha Aventage for surround
    Office System- Adcom GTP500, Bedini 45/45,Lexicon RT-20,Enlightened Audio DAC, Polk SDA2.3TL, Northcreek Borealis
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,676
    edited May 2014
    B Run wrote: »
    I had one for a little bit and liked it a lot, great bang for the buck. I would say it leans towards the warmer side and won't add that top end sparkle you're looking for. However in my Rotel and Klipsch system I had it was fantastic.

That's interesting because I have mine right now in my bedroom setup with some Klipsch SF1s that I got for next to nothing at a flea market. SB duet with boulder power supply, feeding a little Topping TP20II t-amp. Bright forward speakers with a warm t-amp and a warmish DAC makes for remarkably good sound for the money I spent. But I guess if you want a blighter sound it might to be for you.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
    edited May 2014
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    That's interesting because I have mine right now in my bedroom setup with some Klipsch SF1s that I got for next to nothing at a flea market. SB duet with boulder power supply, feeding a little Topping TP20II t-amp. Bright forward speakers with a warm t-amp and a warmish DAC makes for remarkably good sound for the money I spent. But I guess if you want a blighter sound it might to be for you.

I agree 100%, i'm sure it sounds awesome! I was referring to Dskip's comment "You had me forget it at warm. My system is bordering too warm for me in my room. I need some top end sparkle and sharper imaging... definitely not a warm sound." I really liked the way it sounded with my Klipsch's too. Great little Dac for the money.
    Living Room: Polk Lsim705’s, Lsim 704c, SVS SB12-NSD, Yamaha Rxa-2030, Denon DBT1713, Doug's Furutech SC's, Pepster PC's, Vizio 75" 4K M Series, Airport Express

Theater Room: BenQ HT2050a, Stewart Firehawk 110", Pioneer Elite SC63, Lsim703’s, LSiM706c, Lsim 702f/x, SVS SB12-NSD, Xbox One
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,676
    edited May 2014
    B Run wrote: »
    I agree 100%, i'm sure it sounds awesome! I was referring to Dskip's comment "You had me forget it at warm. My system is bordering too warm for me in my room. I need some top end sparkle and sharper imaging... definitely not a warm sound." I really liked the way it sounded with my Klipsch's too. Great little Dac for the money.

Yes yes I was just saying its interesting because first I didn't think of this DAC as particularly warm until you mentioned your klipsch system and then I thought about how I was currently using mine. I have also used it with Energy RC-10s, which I would not call bright but they are forward with lots of high end sparkle and detail.

If we were a little closer I would just let you borrow mine skip, oh well...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
    edited May 2014
    Gotcha! I was hoping I remembered its sound correctly, it was my first DAC and it'd been a while since i'd had it in my system but I did remember really liking it.

• tonybtonyb Posts: 31,123
    edited May 2014
    DSkip wrote: »
    You had me forget it at warm. My system is bordering too warm for me in my room. I need some top end sparkle and sharper imaging... definitely not a warm sound.

Maybe look at some silver IC's then. Your dac, the Arcam, Rega, tend to gravitate to the more analog side of things, adding a touch or a degree of warmth. It's a S.O.B. to get that synergy right.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    edited June 2014
    Have you thought about something on the used market?
    Enlightened Audio is where I ended up with DAC's
    Couldnt stand the new generation of DACs including the Sabre DAC

EAD made some good sounding stuff .....what did you get, the 7000 mark 3 ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • cnhcnh Posts: 13,310
    edited June 2014
    Wolfsons sound warm and soft? Then there must be something SERIOUSLY WRONG with my ears because they're unbearably bright, much more than Burr Browns, Analog Devices, etc. SUPER BRIGHT! Must be differences in the way we hear.

The Onkyos that have Wolfsons are way brighter than the Burr Brown versions.

Oh well! Subjectivity or age; I suppose.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
    edited June 2014
    There's a lot more to the sound than just the dac chip itself obviously, but all else being equal I find the Wolfson chips to be more warm. It helps to have something like Audio GD where you have very similar products made with different chips to compare. I've never heard a Wolfson dac sound bright though, though I do find most Onkyo models way too bright for my taste.
    edited June 2014
    I'll echo CNH's thoughts, the Burr Browns sound way warmer than the Wolfson's to these old ears. Wolfson's have more detail over the Burr browns imho, but the overall sound seems brighter to me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's