RF's ugly **** amps!

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Has anyone seen the new Rockford Fosgate amps yet? Sheeew! What the hell are they thinking.

I admit I have no sense of style but the 2003 models look awesome; especially the Power amps. These things look like Pyle or Pyramid or...hell I dont know.....anything but the high end amps I love!
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    i dont think they look that bad...but i really dont care how my speakers/amps look, as long as they perform
    maybe the new design will keep them cooler
    about time they started making them to be able to withstand 1 ohm loads
    if you dont like the power design, check out the "type rf" series...thats rockfords high end gear
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2004
    Oh it wont stop me from buying one. Ive been a RF fan since the Punch 30 back in the 80s. Ive always thought they (Power series and up) were as good as a PPI or JL and way better than Kicker or anything in that league. I just really thought the 03 models look freaking cool as hell and I wish theyd left em like that. Im gonna have to buy a 551X now before they go away. Sound Domain has em marked down to $280 now!!!!!! 550 (at least) crystal clear powerful watts for $280!!! I love year end clearance sales!

As far as the type RF series, I dont know of an internet dealer that offers them and theyre in the neighborhood of $1000 in your local shop.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    i thought sounddomain carried them...but i could be wrong
    someone carries them
    maybe it was onlinecarstereo
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited January 2004
    Y'all know my thoughts on RF= anitchrist....however I like the looks of the new amps. Not that I'm gonna run one.hahahah - but quit an improvement over their butt ugly P.o.S. Look.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by TrappedUnder Ice
    however I like the looks of the new amps.
    ill just look at that part...lol
    thats a big jump thomas...RF might convert you yet:D
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2004
    they're nto **** around anymore....

those cases look serious -- i like the look at LOT

3000 x 1 rms at 1 ohm... 2000 x 1 at 2 ohms...

and they're FAN COOLED... not that its a good thing that it needs a goddamn fan, but at least they had the bloody sense to put it in there since you could cook eggs on the 1000.1bd's

there are no hard specs yet -- ie damping factor slew rate etc etc.... whichi 'd like to see, but i may actually take a gander at some of these...

i'm not getting the 88 truck back id otn think... its falling through.... and if not then i'm buyhing this 89 4x4 ram 150 that is in CHERRY condidtion - needs a lotta body work but the motor performs as good as the mtoor in my 99... i'm thinkin 17" rims, some MT tires, roll bar, kc lights... a 5,000 dollar "make it look liek it just rolled off the dealer lot" paint job, dual exhaust, mopar performace ignition, valve covers, air intake, fuel intake, edelbrock carb, and some nice tioys including but not limited to a 2,000 watt audio system (gotta keep it small cuz of the kc lights needing juice) and dvd video screens in the sunvisors... hell i should put audio in the bed maybe --- what about 10 id maxes in the bed... oh where oh where would i put the amps!
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2004
    its gonna take more then a new line of amps to turn me back to RF. They have done some damage to the way I percieve them...If they sound better then they look...might be a good amp. but i have a feeling its all butter cream frosting with a dry white cake inside :(
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    if i may ask, why dont you like their amps?
    i can understand their subs...i dont like them either...i saw one at best buy with a chrome dust cap...fast and the furious subs...egh...but i like their amps, IMO, theyre good for the price
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2004
    why Cody...cause I have a Punch40iDSM that out performs a Punch 401s...Thats why. !!!!!:eek:
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2004
    why Cody...cause I have a Punch40iDSM that out performs a Punch 401s...Thats why. !!!!!:eek:

I know exactly what you mean. I've got a Punch60ix from the good ole days, when RF was king. They used to rate wattage at .05%thd, so you got a great "underrated" amp. My old Punch Audiophile 12's sound a lot more accurate than many of these new subwoofers that seem to just focus on how high they can get their Xmax millimeters up to.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    yes, i know, they have been going a little down hill
    even in the last 4 years
    i have a 1999 500.2...the new ones are the power 551S
    it was rated at 500 watts at 2 ohms
    the birth sheet said 830 something watts at 2 ohms
    i have two 550S', 2002 models, theyre rated at 580 and 570...20-30 watts over rated comcapered to 200-300 watts over rated
    my 2000 BD1000 was rated at 1000, put out 1200+
    but if youre going to say rockford fosgate is going downhill, look at mtx, those used to be great amps
    now you cant even run mids off of them b/c theyre so distorted
    even sony...sony used to make good amps for the price...they were nothing great, but they were good
    now theyre horrible too
    underrated, distorted, **** made amps
    a post was made a couple of days about PPI going down the drain...
    RF isnt the only one
    hopefully 2004 will be a good year for them
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2004
    Yeah, tell me about it. I was the one that posted about the PPI shame. I have been a PPI lover for years and was real disheartened to hear that DEI bought them out but the 03 amps still kicked ****. Now the 04s arent worhtless but spec wise theyre about as good as my Alpine $200 4 channel!!

Another tragedy was Rockford Fosgate buying out MB Quart! Its going to be a real shame when those masterpiece speakers sink down to the level of RF's speakers. I also heard that RF either was or has bought out Diamond Audio as well.

One good thing is that Kicker still seems to care. For 04 they bumped up the power ratings on their amps a tad and smoothed out the electronics and got a little cleaner distrotions levels. Also theyre coming out with a SQ line of speakers. The SS (Superior Sound) series is due out this year. Im thinking about buying their amps just cause they still care about quality audio! Some other companies do as well (Xtant, JL Audio) but their prices are ridiculous!! Kicker makes competition winning level equipment but at reasonable prices. 4 channel amps starting at $280 aint bad.

Attaboy Kicker and Polk Audio for keeping up and continually upgrading a high quality product at fair prices!