AudiogoN Alternatives - The Master List

Options
treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,325
edited April 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
Hello all and good afternoon to you. Well, we all know by now that the 'gone has been consistently been digging their own grave since their "upgrade". The prices have gone up and the hits have gone down. Folks around the globe visiting the 'gone have dwindled to a rather consistent half of what it used to be before the upgrade. I think by now that we all know why, so I won't get into all of that.

Below is a master list of all of the active Audiogone alternatives I have ran across to date. I didn't include Craigslist or E-Bay because CL is not only mostly junk but is also geographically challenged. Also, not much high end gear lists on the Flea-Prey, although it can be a great source for music. What I would like is to start a master list that is gathered from all of our collective knowledge that you ladies and gentlemen would consider an alternative to the 'gone.

At this point, even if it is a "start-up" site trying to get it's feet up off the ground? Please mention it. You never know, that one could end up being the next AudiogoN. Here's what I have so far;

http://www.audiomart.com
http://www.usaudiomart.com/
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/
http://www.myaudioshop.com/
http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/buysell2/yabb.pl
www.audiotechindustries.com
http://www.soundoffers.com/
www.audioasylumtrader.com
www.audioaficionado.org
www.classicaudio.com
www.oaktreevintage.com
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=109.0
http://www.higherfi.com/audio_speakers/1

* www.audiomarkt.de [click the UK/USA flag in the main page to read in English] - *Added note: please be aware that any one can reply to advertisements, even non members and there may be a few fraudulent advertisements. Caveat Emptor.

http://www.hifishark.com/

https://exchange.positive-feedback.com/

www.audionervosa.com

http://www.tmraudio.com

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?22829-AudioFlea-Your-New-HiFi-Marketplace-is-Here!
https://www.usaudiolist.com/

I will try my best to convince the moderators/admin team to update this post every once in a while [since we can't edit anymore] whenever more sites are added. Thanks for looking and hopefully participating.

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• classic carl
    classic carl Posts: 648
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I buy and sell almost all of my used audio gear and records on Audio Karma. However, you must be a subscriber and pay a $25 yearly fee to gain access to that part of the forum called Barter Town. Even when Agon was in it's heyday, I would only sell there after I tried and failed to sell something on Barter Town first, which was a rare occasion. Joining AK is free, but Barter Town is only viewable by being a paid subscriber.
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• Bob in WI
    Bob in WI Posts: 155
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I think AK wants permission to hit your credit card for renewal every year. I plunked down the $25 as a one time join & can't access Bartertown. I am a "member", I think you need to be a "subscriber". Regardless, thats a nice site - good folks there & here.
  • shadowlight
    shadowlight Posts: 327
    edited March 2013
    Options
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2013
    Options
    http://www.audioaficionado.org has a nice classified section, but there is a yearly fee of $25 to use it. Compared to Agon's new fee structure, it's a bargain.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited March 2013
    Options
    add www.audioasylumtrader.com to the original list

I've bought a few items from this site and sold one item on here. Never had a problem.

This is a good thread Tom. Thank you sir for starting it.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • treitz3
    edited March 2013
    Options
    No problem, headrott. Figured it was about time 'cause the 'gone sure isn't trying to fix their self created disaster. Here's another one to add to the list.

* www.audiomarkt.de COLOR="#0000FF"]click the UK/USA flag in the main page to read in English[/COLOR - *Added note: please be aware that any one can reply to advertisements, even non members and there may be a few fraudulent advertisements. Caveat Emptor.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • shadowlight
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Tom,

Thanks for starting the thread. If possible, can you add the new sites to the original post so it can be used as a summary poste.
  • treitz3
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Hello, shadowlight. I'd be happy to do so but we no longer have the edit function enabled for users on this forum. With that said,
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I will try my best to convince the moderators/admin team to update this post every once in a while [since we can't edit anymore] whenever more sites are added.

Tom
  • shadowlight
    edited March 2013
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hello, shadowlight. I'd be happy to do so but we no longer have the edit function enabled for users on this forum. With that said,

Tom

I did not even notice the missing edit function
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Craigslist is still a great place if you have a good, local audio market like here in Seattle. Make sure to check it first as you never know what you might find!
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited March 2013
    Options
    So, are the audiokarma and audioafficianado classifieds of a decent size to justify the yearly subscription?

I'm hesitant to plonk down $25 for a yearly subscription to have access to a classified section that only has 2 amps, 10 speakers, 3 carts, and a dozen cables.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • bored184
    bored184 Posts: 324
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    So, are the audiokarma and audioafficianado classifieds of a decent size to justify the yearly subscription?

I'm hesitant to plonk down $25 for a yearly subscription to have access to a classified section that only has 2 amps, 10 speakers, 3 carts, and a dozen cables.

So far I have been quite impressed with Audiokarma's barter town. I have not bought anything yet but alot of gear gets posted there daily.
    Speakers: TL Monitor 10s, RTA 11TLs, Fortes, Thiel CS 1.2
    Amplifiers: ]Ashly FTX 2001 III, Dynaco ST-70, DIY F6
    Pre: Adcom GFP 750, Aikido Tube Pre
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2013
    Options
    It depends on what you're looking for. At Audio Aficionado, there is a decent selection, but the biggest benefit are the tremendous deals if you're into high end items. For example, JL subs, SF speakers, Mac components for much cheaper than you'll see elsewhere, etc...
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    It depends on what you're looking for. At Audio Aficionado, there is a decent selection, but the biggest benefit are the tremendous deals if you're into high end items. For example, JL subs, SF speakers, Mac components for much cheaper than you'll see elsewhere, etc...
    From the little time I've browsed there it appears those gents play at a very high level.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I think these re similar to what you guys are looking at

http://www.classicaudio.com/ http://www.oaktreevintage.com/
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Lost240
    Lost240 Posts: 176
    edited March 2013
    Options
    This is great! I have been looking for alternatives to agon. Thanks!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited March 2013
    Options
    There is a pretty active selling forum at Audiocircles. Some pretty high end stuff shows up. I found my preamp there.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=109.0
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • mjg
    mjg Posts: 86
    edited March 2013
    Options
    www.audiocircle.com is a great site also. Lots of forums as well as for sale items. Bought my DAC there.
  • classic carl
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Bob in WI wrote: »
    I think AK wants permission to hit your credit card for renewal every year. I plunked down the $25 as a one time join & can't access Bartertown. I am a "member", I think you need to be a "subscriber". Regardless, thats a nice site - good folks there & here.

AK does not charge your card yearly, unless you give them permission to. They send me a notice when my subscription is about to run out. If you paid $25 as a "member" and not a "subscriber" you probably hit the wrong button and made a donation, which they happily accept. It does not cost anything to be a posting member, but you cannot see Barter Town without being a paid subscriber.

There is a ton of audio gear for sale or trade on Barter Town. Receivers, amps, turntables, speakers, cartridges, tubes, parts, etc. Some are recapped or restored, other not so much. The prices are also much more friendly than Agon or that auction site. The Barter Town section has several sub-forums, including one for media (CDs, tape, records) only. There are also many vinyl sellers that I have bought from over the years. BT is where I buy about 99% of my used vinyl. I have sold there as well. I have never had an issue buying or selling on AK. IMO, it is well worth the $25 yearly fee.
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• classic carl
    edited March 2013
    Options

There is a forum on AK near the bottom called Barter Town Preview, right above the Feedback forum, which explains the other advantages of being a subscriber and also shows a weekly preview of what is for sale on BT by thread title only.
    Main System:

Home Theater:

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Cool. Thanks. Added US Audio Mart to my favorites.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Was cruisin' that audiocircles site....man they have alot of gear up for sale,and at some fantastic prices too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I recently used AudiogoN to sell a pre amp. It sold within one week. Their upgrade is still half baked. Their software works great up until you accept an offer. As soon as I accepted offer, didn't get paid, didn't even enter shipping info, I got my invoice for using their service. I had to leave feedback twice for the buyer. I still haven't seen my feedback even though the buyer swears he left it.

Glad this list is up. I'll be selling elsewhere next time.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'll be interested to see how Audiogon's app works when it's released this summer.
  • treitz3
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Here's another one for the list that I ran across last night. Some really nice gear here. From the website;
    We buy, sell & trade hifi audio speakers and equipment, worldwide for manufacturers, dealers and individuals

http://www.higherfi.com/audio_speakers/1

Tom
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Geez Tom, know your audience pal. Most things on that site are more than we pay for houses.:cheesygrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    edited March 2013
    Options
    It gets a little bit more reasonable as you move on to the last pages. It looks like they they list the most expensive gear first, then move down to the lower costing items. For example, take a look at page 6 seen in the link below. Everything on that page would be at what most would consider a "reasonable" price point, I would imagine.

http://www.higherfi.com/audio_speakers/6

Tom
  • bthogan
    bthogan Posts: 151
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Great list, thanks. Gotta bookmark this.

I only started using the 'Gon after the upgrade; got my Adcom there, kind of a special deal. Got my McCormack DNA-1 (in shop for upgrades) from Audio Asylum Trader; got the Parasound from ebay. No problems with any of these purchases.
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I do check that classicaudio site and most of their listings are already sold or their prices are way out of bounds .If you compare the Marantz 22xx they are asking top $ over any body else out there. Yes it's clean and I guess a warranty is given but it's looks high to me. Now Higherfi is talking blingo cashola big time.......
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Bob in WI
    Bob in WI Posts: 155
    edited March 2013
    Options
    "Higherfi is talking blingo cashola" $650,000 for a turntable........ guess I should talk that one over with the wife first.