I think I found my 'end game' speaker

124»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    edited August 2012
    ravaneli wrote: »
    But the recording process, quality cannot be sacrificed there. There is no place for tubes of any kind, no vinyl, nothing like that.

You haven't s clue what you are talking about in respect to digital vs. analog and many, many recording consoles in top recording studios have extensively used and still use tube based mixing consoles.

You are just here to cause trouble because your assumptions are so irrational there is no other explaination. Or you got out of your padded cell, once again, and found the internet.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    edited August 2012
    Rave-o-luni,

Here is some reading material.

http://www.studiomastering.net/e/EMI_REDD_series_recording_mixing_consoles.html

http://www.oceanwayrecording.com/about-history.php

I used GOOGLE and in 2-3 minutes came up with all kinds of recording history, past and present using tubes in the studio. All of the greatest music ever recorded used tubes consoles, tube microphones and tube tape machines.

I will say not everyone uses tubes today in the recording process because it's extremely cost prohibitive and you need to master the art of recording on those. Also that is what IS WRONG with much recorded music. Amatuers on their computers creating crappy sounding digital recordings. Horrible, horrible, talentless hacks.

The above links represent just a scratch of the surface.

You really should talk from a perspective of knowledge rather than from the hole in the center of gluteus maximus.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2012
    And many recording studios, and other professionals, use Shunyata cables. Why? Because good cables make a big difference.
    http://www.shunyata.com/Content/endorsements-Prof.html

"Grammy Winning Mastering Engineers James Guthrie and Doug Sax
    The reputations of Mastering Engineers Doug Sax and James Guthrie are beyond reproach.

They are two of the most prolific and sought after mastering engineers in the recording industry, and their body of work is legendary.

Doug Sax's work includes recordings by James Taylor, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Alison Kraus, Diana Krall, Linda Ronstadt, Tom Waits, Aaron Neville, Chris Isaak, Ray Charles, Chet Atkins and countless others. James Guthrie's resume is no less impressive, having been credited with work on 6 Pink Floyd albums and dozens of popular recording artists.

James and Doug learned of Shunyata Research's products through David Gilmour's Astoria recording studio in the United Kingdom. After listening and recording with Shunyata Research products, both Guthrie and Sax were so impressed that they installed Shunyata products into their Sonoma digital mastering chain. Shunyata Research products were most recently utilized at Guthrie's Das Boot Studio for the re-master of Dark Side of the Moon on Sony's SACD format.

"As studio owners, we are regularly exposed to numerous 'quality enhancement products' and have naturally become cautious and very selective; you rarely achieve an audible improvement without somehow adversely affecting another element in the audio chain. We have been using Shunyata power cables at my studio for some time now. Careful placement of the cables has resulted in reduced distortion, improved clarity, better low level detail and richer 3-dimensional depth in the soundstage. The Anaconda PowerSnakes, for example, have transformed our Sonoma system, used during the mastering process for the new 5.1 mix of 'The Dark Side of The Moon'. I look forward to trying the Hydra AC distribution next. Highly recommended."
    -- James Guthrie, Grammy award winning Producer/Engineer (Pink Floyd)"
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2012
    BlueFox wrote: »
    And many recording studios, and other professionals, use Shunyata cables. Why? Because good cables make a big difference.

I should have phrased this differently. While I am a Shunyata fanboy, the point I meant to make is that recording studios also use better cables since it does make a big, big difference in sound quality. Just as Raviole is wrong about vinyl, he is wrong about cables.

That's what happens when trying to quickly post while at work. :smile:
    ravaneli wrote: »

By the way, everyone here should know that the prevailing opinions HERE do not represent AT ALL the prevailing opinion in circles that are actually qualified to make judgement, like Audio Engineering Society. You can find and read presentations of those guys. No tube bullsh1t will ever fly there, no power conditioners, no cables, no amp difference and in general nothing that can't be shown on paper.

If anything I find most of the members here severely misinformed of the opinions of actual people that have knowledge about these things.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited August 2012
    I have found my endgame in the Big Magnepan MG-20.() series, though I cannot say it won't be fun to dip my toes into the SDA pool again someday. I cannot wait to hear SDA's with some tube power.

So them MG 20.(something)s really sound good? I've only heard good things about them, I probably should head to my nearest Magnaplaner dealer and give them a listen.

There is a mathematical formula for end-game speakers.... Your personal tastes / divided by your budget = your endgame speakers.

Happy listening
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    edited August 2012
    Let's not forget two of the best in the business at getting the most out of what others completely hacked, Steve Hoffman and MoFi. Both use tube equipment in their remastering.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    edited August 2012
    wayne3burk wrote: »
    So them MG 20.(something)s really sound good? I've only heard good things about them, I probably should head to my nearest Magnaplaner dealer and give them a listen.

There is a mathematical formula for end-game speakers.... Your personal tastes / divided by your budget = your endgame speakers.

Happy listening

The big ribbons they use are among the best in the world. Now that I have some good tubes in my amps, they really come alive. The biggest improvement will come when I can set them up properly in a room of their own, but for now, given the confined setup I have, they are very, very good indeed.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited November 2012
    Well, I've found a deal on a pair of these Wilson Duette I just can't pass up. I totally don't have gear worthy of running these yet, and very likely won't by the time these get here, but I guess I gotta start somewhere. They're in a dark red and look to be in perfect condition, and will be mine before Christmas.

Now it's time to get down to business with regards to other gear. The first two items on the list are a Pre with HT bypass and an amp to drive these with.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2012
    Congrats!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    edited November 2012
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    edited November 2012
    Hello, AsSiMiLaTeD. I'm very happy and excited for you. Finding one's sonic bliss with regards to a speaker can be a long journey, I'm glad you found yours. Congratulations! I feel for you about the consistent thread derails and rude posts but don't let it bother you. Consider it like water off a ducks back. It sounds like Santa will be very nice to you this year. Enjoy.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~