Received a pair of RTi8's. Help needed picking new Receiver/Amp

Options
Drewdlz
Drewdlz Posts: 4
edited May 2012 in Forum Testing Area
Was recently given a pair of RTi8's and already have a PSW505. Looking for something to power them loud, clear and not too expensively. I realize there are a lot of posts about good amps/receivers to power the RTi8's but most of those are several years old, as I understand Polk no longer makes these speakers but from what I gather they should still be just fine.

So the question is what, out of what receivers/amps that are on the market currently would be the best. Not looking to spend much more than $800 really and ideally less than that.

Will be using for a lot of music and some tv/movie.

I have done a good amount of research and am currently still in debate about whether I want to just get a good quality stereo amp or a surround sound receiver to be able to expand the system later. But from what I gather for the same price the stereo amps can give better sound, so I would love to hear any suggestions for both stereo and surround receivers.

Have looked a little at:
Marantz SR5006
Onkyo TX-NR809
NAD C 356BEE(the soft-clipping sounds very attractive)

These are pretty much at the top of my budget and would like to know if something like these are really needed or if cheaper better options exist

PS I like my music loud :)
but don't want to damage my speakers

Please help me out experts!:cheesygrin:
Mains: Polk RTi8's (Bi-amped)
Sub: Polk PSW 505
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
TV: Samsung 51" 720p Plasma
PS3
Post edited by Drewdlz on

Comments

• slider2828
    slider2828 Posts: 118
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Should get that done.... Especially if you are doing some 2 channel listening. Go with Onkyo or Yamaha cause they have pre-outs and you can slap an amplifier. If you like it loud, you gotta go with an amp....

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?128992-Vr3-Fortress-Edition-Mods&p=1763186#post1763186
  • mufsoman
    mufsoman Posts: 631
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Can't comment on selection you have listed, but my Rti8's sounded great with both my Pioneer THD-95 and SC07. Doesn;t take much to drive the 8's. If you have a good receiver (AVR) they'll sound fine without an amp.
    Parasound HCA-2003A & 2205A
    Front: Rti12's
    Center: Csi A6
    Side surrounds: Polk Rti A1's
    Atmos: Mirage Nanosats
    APC H15
    Power cords by Pepster, Morrow MA4 IC's, AQ Midnight, AQ Chocolate HDMI's[/SIZE]
    The rest is TBD.
  • Drewdlz
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I called up Polk and got advice from them. They were very helpful!

I just ordered an Onkyo TX-NR809 and am planning on Bi-amping my Rti-8's to it! Hoping it will sound top notch! Paid under $700 shipped for it and am excited! Thanks for the advice!
    PS3
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2012
    Options
    That's not bi-amping.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Drewdlz
    edited May 2012
    Options
    It's not? That's what the Polk guy told me, to use the surround backs and the fronts to "bi-amp" it. I understand that it wont actually double the wattage but have been told that it should make it sound at least a little better. Not true?
    PS3
  • slider2828
    slider2828 Posts: 118
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Depends at volume.... low volume it won't be high volume a slight difference. Thats what I saw after modifying it, but stock crossovers maybe not....

I am not sure about Onkyo, but denon's have discrete circuits for each channel, so allowing to reassign 2 amps from a 7.1 to a front to make it a 5.1, it works ok...
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Don't bother with "bi-amping" honestly but the 809 is plenty for the Rti8s, you should be happy with it.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Drewdlz wrote: »
    It's not? That's what the Polk guy told me, to use the surround backs and the fronts to "bi-amp" it. I understand that it wont actually double the wattage but have been told that it should make it sound at least a little better. Not true?

True bi-amping requires the use of a separate amp (as in each has its own power supply) for each channel and the use of active crossovers. Passive bi-amping would use separate amps (as in each has its own power supply) for each channel, but retains the passive crossovers. AVR's do not have a separate power supply for each channel and therefore are incapable of either form of bi-amping. In addition, the more channels you use on your typical class A/B AVR, the less power each channel is capable of. For example, let's say an AVR is capable of producing 100 wpc when 2 channels are driven, but when 5 channels are driven that could drop to 75 wpc and when 7 channels are driven it could drop to 50 wpc.

IMO, you'd be better off by simply replacing the stock jumper bars with high quality speaker wire.

slider2828 wrote:
    I am not sure about Onkyo, but denon's have discrete circuits for each channel, so allowing to reassign 2 amps from a 7.1 to a front to make it a 5.1

It doesn't have a separate power supply for each channel, therefore my comments above still apply.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Drewdlz
    edited May 2012
    Options
    The Onkyo 809 receiver has volume from 1-100.

What volume is the highest I can safely turn it up to without damaging the speakers? Will clipping occur at max? Please Help! I wanna make sure I don't damage my speakers accidentally.
    PS3
  • F1nut
    edited May 2012
    Options
    What volume is the highest I can safely turn it up to without damaging the speakers?

Hard to say, every AVR is different. When the sound becomes strained, you've gone too far and it's time to turn the volume down.
    Will clipping occur at max?

It will occur before you hit max.

President of Club Polk

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    edited May 2012
    Options
    good info :)
    Randy/Maine