Purchasing a Sansui 7070--good deal for $20?

John MegadethJohn Megadeth Posts: 2,179
edited August 2011 in Electronics
Hi all,

I found a gentleman selling the contents of his storage locker on craigslist and he has a Sansui 7070 in there. I offered $20 and he accepted. He said that it works, so pending an inspection of the unit, do you all think this is a good/great deal?

Here's a link I found with pictures and details about the unit. I've been interested in vintage gear, basically because it looks really cool :)

http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/sansuistereoreceivermodel7070.html
Post edited by John Megadeth on

Comments

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,679
    edited July 2011
    Not a stellar buy IMHO, but Sansui from that era is usually pretty good stuff, and for that reason, I would say go for it if it's in great shape. What else can you get that is as nice these days for less? Just remember that a good cleaning and perhaps a recap may be in order due to age.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • stuweestuwee Posts: 1,536
    edited July 2011
    That's one of the nicer looking medium powered 'Sui's, I'd snap it up for a twenty if the cosmetics are good, you might get lucky and it's working fine, get some Caig DeOxit if your getting into vintage gear, it solves alot of issues they have with noisey knobs, and non working switches.
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • halo71halo71 Posts: 4,478
    edited July 2011
    Not a stellar buy IMHO,

Really? :confused: I think if the thing works and is in decent shape.....$20 is a awesome deal. For that money I would not ask, I would have already bought it.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,679
    edited July 2011
    halo71 wrote: »
    Really? :confused: I think if the thing works and is in decent shape.....$20 is a awesome deal. For that money I would not ask, I would have already bought it.

The rest of my post says much the same thing as you... what else can you get for an Andrew Jackson these days. Buying it without testing it, and knowing that some work may be in order to make it right is the same as burning a twenty dollar bill, hense my use of caution on all old gear, classic or not.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • cnhcnh Posts: 13,310
    edited July 2011
    Gotta agree with the boys. I own a Sansui 5000A about 50/55 watts channel. A lot of people, including, yours truly, feel that these earlier Sansuis are a bit more Tubey sounding than the more powerful 9 and 8000 G series that have, perhaps more detail, a lot more glitz, weigh more, and are seemingly the Sansui peak!

I guess the 7070 is a later model though? Late 70s maybe?

If it works, as said, 20, man I paid not quite 4 times that for my unit? Get some Vintage speakers from that period and hook it up!

Have fun!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • larry777larry777 Posts: 480
    edited August 2011
    If it works ok,I bet you won't believe your ears when you hear it. The best $20 bucks you will ever spend.
    Home Theatre.............

Pioneer SC-35
    Polk RTi10's Fronts
    Polk CSiA6 Center
    RTi4 Surrounds
    SVS PB-12 Sub

2 Channel.............................

Yaqin MC-100B
    Energy RC-70 Speakers
    Arcam CD-192 Disc Player
    Van Den Hul Interconnects
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 25,403
    edited August 2011
    indeed. very good for 20 smackers if in good working order; even better if cosmetically good. Quite decent hardware (even if less in demand than the larger 8080 and 9090).
    Sansui info aplenty at www.classicsansui.net

sansui782.jpg
  • RuSsMaNRuSsMaN Posts: 17,995
    edited August 2011
    Anything Sansui with two pair in the model number for a Jackson is usually more than worth it.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
    edited August 2011
    well... maybe not the little 1010... :-)

sansui784.jpg

but, then again, it is hard to imagine any name-brand piece in good working order that isn't worth 20 samoleums.
  • RuSsMaNRuSsMaN Posts: 17,995
    edited August 2011
    I would do a 1010.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • cubdogcubdog Posts: 835
    edited August 2011
    I don't mean to be rude, but really, a Sansui 7070, twenty bucks? What's your question?

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
    edited August 2011
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    I would do a 1010.

For the record: I do not disagree - it is a very cute little receiver, and Sansui had an excellent track record of good sounding low power/entry level hardware.

warehousesoundbotl2.jpg
    warehousesoundbotl1.jpg
    cubdog wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude, but really, a Sansui 7070, twenty bucks? What's your question?

cubdog

raht on, raht on! :-)
  • pearsall001pearsall001 Posts: 4,357
    edited August 2011
    For $20...you had to ask?
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    NAD D 1050 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS Music System
    KEF R3 / mains
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Extensive room treatments
  • Erik TracyErik Tracy Posts: 4,691
    edited August 2011
    I owned the 6060 back in the 70's - my first 'high powered' receiver after upgrading from a Lafayette.

I really can't comment on its sound as I was not in pursuit of sonic quality. I was chasing decibels at that time. :biggrin:

Loved the look - still do - vintage receiver all the way.

For $20 - geez - give it a whirl and turn it around if it doesn't do it for you.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • nienteniente Posts: 68
    edited August 2011
    Vintage Sansui gear??? GO for it

I still regularly use my late 70's AU & TU 517 separates

Sure it may not measure up to some current offerings but i would say my set up gives me one of the best sounding home workshops around!!!
    Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver
    Parasound 5250
    LSI 15's
    LSI C
    LSI FX's
    PSW1000 Sub
    OPPO 93
    Sony CDP-C315 CD
    Monster AC line cond
    Audioquest, Blue Jeans & Monster wires/connects
    40" Sony Bravia XBR6
  • napnap Moderator Posts: 1,319
    edited August 2011
    MHARDY - Thanks for posting that picture. Now I have to go and chase down an RA700 ! Can't resist the cheesy rainbow lights. :biggrin:
  • John MegadethJohn Megadeth Posts: 2,179
    edited August 2011
    I knew my question would garner some good feedback! Thanks all! I'll report back on Saturday.
  • stuweestuwee Posts: 1,536
    edited August 2011
    I knew my question would garner some good feedback! Thanks all! I'll report back on Saturday.

Good Luck to ya John! I hope it's in great shape, you'll love it :smile:
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
    edited August 2011
    nap wrote: »
    MHARDY - Thanks for posting that picture. Now I have to go and chase down an RA700 ! Can't resist the cheesy rainbow lights. :biggrin:

Pioneer had some "nice" reverbs, too. I happen to have one of the Pioneers, with a "display" that evokes the 1960s TV series The Time Tunnel to my mind :-P

Please note that I am not quite precisely sure why I have that reverb, but I do...
  • polkatesepolkatese Posts: 6,772
    edited August 2011
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Pioneer had some "nice" reverbs, too. I happen to have one of the Pioneers, with a "display" that evokes the 1960s TV series The Time Tunnel to my mind :-P

Please note that I am not quite precisely sure why I have that reverb, but I do...

dang, I owned that RA700, Dad bought it in 1977 because he thought it looks cool and the sales guy recommended it. RIP Dad.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
    edited August 2011
    Well, the seller flaked out and sold it already. He told me he was going to be out of town, returning on 8/6. He agreed to sell it to me that day, but he went ahead and sold it to someone else. Oh well.
  • devanidevani Posts: 1,499
    edited August 2011
    most likely sold it to someone who offered more money...
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
    edited August 2011
    devani wrote: »
    most likely sold it to someone who offered more money...

Maybe; it was a part of a storage unit of which its contents he was selling for $50. I offered to buy the Sansui alone, which he agreed to. No big deal, really; it just makes me feel better about keeping my word when I deal with prospective buyers.
  • windhauswindhaus Posts: 1
    Do you still have that Sansui 7070
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 16,339
    Welcome to club Polk.

If you read the thread no one here the deal fell through.

• tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,906
    Can't find a CD in my recent purchases totaling close to 1500 bucks less than 20 bucks a piece!!
    Yes that's a great deal .
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
    This is a weirdly reanimated thread.

14669485717_cbff2da7e2_o.jpgsansui782 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

For anyone looking for a Sansui receiver that's a little different and a little off the beaten path...

10511685204_4663a10b74_o.jpgSansuiTA500f by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

It looks better than it is... but it does look nice, with cosmetics ripped off from inspired by the TU-717 and AU-717. ;)
    Nothing like the quality of those components, though.
  • agfrostagfrost Posts: 2,305
    I gots me one of them, Doc! Haven't listened to it in awhile, but it is a looker! (I paid somewhat more than $20 for it, though..)

I see what you did with those italics, too. :wink:
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Marantz DV-9500 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
    edited April 27
    I got mine from either George Grand or his ol' buddy "Tentoze" @ AK. Memory is hazy. Mine, too, was more than 20 smackers, but not all that much more (my being a cheap mortar forker, you know?).

I should emphasize that the TA-500 ain't bad* at all, it just somewhat overstates its heritage by the cosmetic motifs it carries.

10511685204_a01d16fb95_c.jpgSansuiTA500f by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

qgl5jqw8drjp.png

* I can almost imagine George comin' back just to smite me :| -- and Tentoze... well... yeah. ;) Both of those guyses were/are among the very best in this hobby that I've had the privilege to "know" (virtually speaking).

Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • agfrostagfrost Posts: 2,305
    I was well within the "double-digit" price range myself. Not a whole lot of info on the interweb on that model, but they seem to blow out ICs which are no longer being made...

Normally I would apologize to OP here, but I admit that I don't feel bad about derailing a nine-year-old thread about a purchase opportunity that never came to fruition!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Marantz DV-9500 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0