RTA15TL Mod Thread

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,052
edited August 2012 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Well memeber here wanted me to mod his RTA15TL

We went with Clarity Cap ESA on the tweeter and PX on the woofers with Mundorf resistors...

We are referencing mods made in this thread -

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48075&highlight=RTA+15tl+crossover

I believe we are going to do the stacked perfboard mounting because as you can see in the pics it will be crazy throwing them all on the board lol
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Do you have the speakers there?

If so, why not just get rid of the board?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,925
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Time to open up a small shop in the garage/home and start desining your own line of speakers..:biggrin::wink::tongue:
  • VR3
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I do not have the speakers here.

If I did I would agree with you.

What I like about the stacked perfboard is it allows the owner to put them back in his speakers like stock! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Time to open up a small shop in the garage/home and start desining your own line of speakers..:biggrin::wink::tongue:

Hehe - I wish I had the start up capital to make something like that happen. Until then I will just mod everything and anything!! :)
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    edited July 2011
    Options
    On my RTA11TL, the XO would not fit through the hole after the upgrades. After the components were mounted to the board, I mounted the terminal cup in thecabinet and reattached the XO board form the inside. It was a little tight bit you have more room to work in the RTA15TL.
    Stan
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • VR3
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Hey Stan!

We should be able to mount it back in with no issues...

I came up with a way of stacking components in a neat and orderly manner that allows easy mounting in the stock location
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I would think the components cantilevered off the end would be suceptible to more vibration.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i have currently done four speakers this way with no complaints so i will stick with that....
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I didn't ask about complaints, I asked a simple question about components being stacked and cantilevered that far off the end possibly having issues with added vibration.

I think it's a slick solution, especially the way the components are supported in the LSI x-over you did. But just stacking 3 or more layers vertically with glue on a terminal cup that is mounted horizontally seems like you could have some vibration issues with the component(s) on the very end.

I am encouraging discussion, not necessarily critiqing.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I wouldn't doubt there would be some vibration, the thing I would worry about is fatigue. The terminal cups aren't made of titanium. Although I must say it does look slick the way you did the LSI one. Impressive.
  • VR3
    edited July 2011
    Options
    As far as fatigue -

Every crossover before I send it back or even start building it I will move the rod about .5-.75 of an inch in any direction...

Once you put all the breadboard on there with the nuts the assembly hardly moves at all and is very rigid. The only concern I would have is if you had to ship the speakers in which I would recommend removing the crossovers for shipping just to be safe although I believe they could survived being suspended in a speaker for shipping as well..

As far as vibrations go - I generally put hot glue on the nuts and all of the components are hot glued as well...
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Could you make an adjustable footer that can attach to the end of the crossover and rest at the base of the speaker to help with weight distribution as well as help with vibration??
    It doesn't have to be Fixed to the crossover but assembled during install. Maybe the owner could get a little creative as well when they are received??

Just thoughts..
  • AlanH212
    AlanH212 Posts: 14
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Hi, All ... I'm the owner of these XOs. Thanks for the ideas, but I'm not worried about vibration or fatigure since I can get away with just one breadboard per XO and I'm sure that when properly tightened and hot-glued they'll be fine. I'm OK as long as I can fit them through the hole!

I haven't used a soldering gun since my Heathkit days (about 45 years ago!) so I'm very happy to have Trey do these ... Will let you all know how they work out when I get them and have a chance to install them (after 8/10 when I return from a road trip) and burn them in.
  • VR3
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Hey Alan

We most likely will need to do two bread boards on these one at the bottom and top with the main circuit board in the middle due to the size and number of components for these...

It is actually better to fill up the entire section to keep the rods from moving :)

Will keep you posted on progress! Will be a fun one!
  • VR3
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Larry I am extremely visual when it comes to things. I dont understand what you are suggesting by reading it. Sorry
  • VR3
    edited July 2011
    Options
    The start of something AWESOME! :)
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I think TFL life was suggesting something like a kickstand for the crossover. So when you place it into the speaker cabinet a prop rod would hold it up. Like the hood of a car.
  • Toolfan66
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Correct!! and Trey I wasn't critiquing your work I hope you didn't take it that way as I find your work and creativity Fantastic!!

Was just putting some ideas out there is all..
  • VR3
    edited July 2011
    Options
    kick stand would be cool and possible since most crossovers are at the bottom of the enclosure. When i did the lsi9 that was here i put would strips under it and put some hot glue between the crossover and the boards
  • AlanH212
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Hi, Trey

Two boards are fine; plenty of room. If you want to try the "kick stand" idea, alone or combined with a breadboard, go ahead with it as long as I can mount it easily and don't have to solder anything! The bottom of the cabinet is about an inch below the bottom of the hole.
  • VR3
    edited July 2011
    Options
    CAN YOU SAY POINT TO POINT?

I THINK SO!! :)

I am going to take bolt cutters and trim the rods
  • AlanH212
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Dude, I can say point to point but I don't know what it means! I vaguely remember "breadboard" and I'm guessing it's the same as perfboard! Seriously, they look great! Can't wait to hear 'em!
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Options
    The true question is how much stuff can you stack on a terminal cup... hahaha
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Yup yup!
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited August 2012
    Options
    thats a bunch. mine would not stack on a terminal cup...thus I pulled the passive and used velcro on the bottom of the cabinet...lol
    tlxo.jpg 440.8K
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Thats a coil right there...

You need to turn that small coil...
  • VR3
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I like to check on my past mods to see how they are doing...

Alan just wrote this to me..

Many apologies for not keeping you (and the forum) up-to-date on how the XOs are working for me; I’ve been swamped with work and it fell by the wayside.

They sounded great out of the box and continued to improve as they burned in. I’m getting noticeably more clarity and smoothness all around at all volumes; tighter bass and the boominess is gone, great details in the mids and the high end is sweet and clear without the tweeters putting out so much of the mids. I put the cabinets on points, which helped further on the low end, and tilted them up slightly to help further on the high end. I’d have to spend at least $5,000 (plus an expensive amp upgrade) to get a pair of speakers that sound any better than this!

Thanks again for doing such a superb job!

I can’t promise that I’ll have the time to post this on the forum, but please feel free to re-post this email and I’ll chime in with a brief “Yeah, that’s right!”

Regards … Alan

Too cool! :)