Difference between the Rt-55's and Rt-800i's?

Options
brentski
brentski Posts: 96
edited August 2003 in Speakers
Other than the 800's being a floor model, what are the basic differences between the RT-55i's and the Rt-800i's?

They both seem to have the same speakers, just different cabinet dimensions.
Center; CS-400i
Main's; RT-55's
Side Surround's-RT-35's
Rear center;CS-300
Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
Post edited by brentski on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I have a pair of both and think they are very similar with a slight difference in the bass. IMO the 55 has a very tight bass where the 800 is a little more boomy. Don't misinterpret boomy as bad because the 800i is an outstanding speaker just a very subtle difference.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited August 2003
    Options
    one other point...the sensitivity of the 55's is 1db higher...while this may seem small...put next to the other polks...they are a tad louder!. 55's make great front stage speakers IMO...I have both types..and move from front to back...when i get bored

have fun..:cool:
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited August 2003
    Options
    In my experience, regardless of source and amplification, the 55i's destroy my 800i's in a subless two-channel setting.

The 55i's bass is not only significantly tighter, but they convey real weight, impact, both mid bass and down. The 800i's supposedly play lower, but I don't hear it and I surely don't feel it. The 55i's are warm, tight, and big sounding; if you hadn't noticed, I love 'em. Mid range and highs sound roughly the same to my ears, no biggies here; but again, when the mid bass and lower bass are tight and defined, comfortable in their own space, no mud, no hang, no muffle or constriction, it really opens up your mids and highs to let the overall picture develop and hit you true.

I haven't run the 55i's in a home theater setting, but I'm very happy with the 800i's in that regard. With a sub and an 80Hz crossover they're excellent theater speakers; detail and disappear.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • setzer808
    setzer808 Posts: 173
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I gotta agree, I love my 55i's for their accuracy, power handling, and realistic conveyance of bass. Excellent speaker for music and HT. I'd love to see a similar speaker in one of Polk's new "RT(insert "I" in random place) lines". :)
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
    Polk PSW-350 Sub -in storage.
    Yamaha RX-V681 A/V Reciever
    Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Player
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Yeah, I'd love for them to put out another 2 woof, squat box, big bookshelf in the RTi line. I would probably have to buy a pair.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I've got both 55's and 800i's and I would mostly echo the above statements. The 55's sound a little tighter, and give up very little in bass versus the 800's. I think they're crossed over at a slightly different frequency, IIRC, but I haven't checked the specs lately to confirm that. That said, I always go back to my 800i's as fronts. Maybe I just prefer floorstanders.

Strange that the 55's seem to have been very highly regarded among enthusiasts, yet they were the model that got dropped. Kind of like the RT7's before them. Wish I had a pair of those, too.

Jason
  • PhysicsCoder
    PhysicsCoder Posts: 40
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I've got the 55i's in front with a cs400i center. These things are amazing for home theater as well (Loud & Clear asked about this).

I don't even run a sub-woofer (yet) and I feel every impact on the LFE channel. The closing of the Black Gate LOTR Two Towers punched me in the chest and rattled glasses upstairs. Those six 6.5" drivers produce plenty of bass.
  • brussell
    brussell Posts: 40
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I have the upgrade bug. I currently run RT55s for fronts, RT7s as dual centers, RTi15s as front effects, Polk RM1000 sub powered by a Crown D-150AII, a PSB Subsonic 3, and a pair of re-foamed Infinity RS5bs (circa 1980s 10" 3-way) as my rears. All of this is driven by a Yamaha A-1. I'm thinking of ditch'n the infinitiy's and moving the RT7's to the rear. Then the question of what to replace them with. The Yamaha gives me the option of running dual centers. Would you replace with a center or another pair of RT55s? Or should I stick with the infinity's and look into a SVS PB2-isd?

Thanks for the advice
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I would try and match your HT a bit, you have got a few brands there and that can lead to tonal differences, I would set the 55's as front mains, the Rt7's as rears, or a center as you have now and run the 15's where you need them, as rears if the 7's were used for centers.. run one good sub and use the others for what ever.. try and stay with the same line if possible or atleast the same make iE: POLk or what ever.. the SVS pb2-isd would be a great sub depending on your room size.. you will have a hard time finding another pair of 55's.. seems you have alot of mismatch speakers everywhere.. i would try and concentrate on the HT, then 2 channel or what ever your plans are
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp