Video games are boring

DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,195
edited May 2011 in Video Games
I just can't get into them like I used to. I don't know what the deal is and I absolutely hate it. I love gaming, but my attention span lasts about as long as it takes to pick up the game case. I fondle all the games at GameStop and always walk out empty handed. I can't even justify $10 for a game I always wanted to play. It's like I "grew up" or something.

Anyone else have these issues?
Post edited by DSkip on

Comments

• ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,881
    edited March 2011
    The only one that floats my boat is Madden football...
  • leroyjr1leroyjr1 Posts: 8,799
    edited March 2011
    I can't play more than a hour or two at a time.
  • snotpmahsnotpmah Posts: 40
    edited March 2011
    I'm experiencing the same thing.
    I don't see the point of single-player games. Multi, though, is still cool. As long as there's a live person playing co-op or against me, then it's fun.
  • codyc1arkcodyc1ark Posts: 2,543
    edited March 2011
    Ugh, I've put SOOO many hours lately into GT5, and now I've hit a wall with it and have jumped back to Black Op's, and it's not doing it for me also. I've heard alot of Dragon Age buzz, and I think a new RPG type game could get me going again. Anybody ever play MUDs?
  • polkfarmboypolkfarmboy Posts: 5,724
    edited March 2011
    DSkip wrote: »
    I just can't get into them like I used to. I don't know what the deal is and I absolutely hate it. I love gaming, but my attention span lasts about as long as it takes to pick up the game case. I fondle all the games at GameStop and always walk out empty handed. I can't even justify $10 for a game I always wanted to play. It's like I "grew up" or something.

Ever try a nice big bag of weed ?
  • bobman1235bobman1235 Posts: 11,045
    edited March 2011
    Or real, in-person human interaction?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • tcrossmatcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited March 2011

I know what you mean, to a degree. At this point in my life out of every 4-5 games I buy I really get into 1 of them. But, the key is to keep trying. I don't know what the secret is, but I still *do* get into games, and when I do, it's as good as it used to be.

My latest favorites (over the past 2 years) have been Borderlands, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, and most recently Two Worlds II. But for those 3 I've probably tried 12-ish that I just couldn't get myself into for whatever reason that's yet unexplained.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • HTguru1982HTguru1982 Posts: 1,066
    edited March 2011
    I feel the same way. I've purchased a lot of great games lately and can't get into any of them. I didn't finish Batman Arkham Asylum, Bioshock or Dead Space just to name a few. It's not that the games suck either. I don't know. Maybe I'm getting old.
    Display: Sony 42" LCD
    Sources: Harman Kardon DVD-27,
    Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu ray player
    AVR: Sony STR-DA2400ES
    Amps: Sonance Sonamp 260(fronts),
    Kenwood KM-894(surrounds)
    Fronts: NHT 2.5
    Center: NHT VS-1.2A
    Surrounds: NHT Super One
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-ISD
  • polkfarmboypolkfarmboy Posts: 5,724
    edited March 2011
    I was joking about the weed

I found that towards the end of the ps2 I could not stand playing games and I think its a generation thing . You may not get into games again until the next level comes along

PS4 virtual gaming or something great instead of stare at the tv and just shoot or jump till your thumbs get sore

On the other hand you could be suffering from depression or anxiety ?
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,195
    edited March 2011
    Borderlands was great, and I can still stick it in occasionally and get an hour or so out of it. It's probably the last game I really got into. I love the co-op side of it.

How does TWII compare to the first? I've heard its almost completely revamped, which I'm a little sad about b/c I really enjoyed the first one. The bugs didn't even bother me that much.

I just want a full day of play every 3-4 months or so where its me in a world and I don't care about anything outside of that room, completely engaged in some fantastic journey. Order pizza and buy a 12-pack and just waste away the day. I just can't do it anymore though. I guess too many stresses get in the way. Even now, although I've worked an 8 hour day, I feel like I could be doing something more productive like getting a weekend job.
  • tcrossmatcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited March 2011
    Borderlands was great, and I can still stick it in occasionally and get an hour or so out of it. It's probably the last game I really got into. I love the co-op side of it.

How does TWII compare to the first? I've heard its almost completely revamped, which I'm a little sad about b/c I really enjoyed the first one. The bugs didn't even bother me that much.

I just want a full day of play every 3-4 months or so where its me in a world and I don't care about anything outside of that room, completely engaged in some fantastic journey. Order pizza and buy a 12-pack and just waste away the day. I just can't do it anymore though. I guess too many stresses get in the way. Even now, although I've worked an 8 hour day, I feel like I could be doing something more productive like getting a weekend job.

I think I'm one of the *very* few that actually enjoyed the first TW. I'm actually surprised to find another person that did :)

TWII is similar. It's still a little on the unpolished side, and it took me about 5 hours of gameplay to really start to get into it and to start overlooking the idiosyncrasies. And I think part of it is that the game just gets more fun once you get more powerful (i.e. lvl 20+). But once that happened it has turned into a very enjoyable game.

I think everybody (at some point in time) goes through stretches where they feel gaming is a waste of time. I know I have. But, I keep ending up back with a game that eventually sucks me in, and I'm happier for it.

If Borderlands was something that you got into then it hasn't been *that* long since a game captured your attention. In my case it might only be one game a year that does that anymore (with a lot of failed attempts in between), so this might just be the normal course of events, I don't know.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,176
    edited March 2011
    I can play for around 15-30 minutes a night, and then get burnt. After a week or two at this rate I will then not even use it for 3 months. Repeat.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,457
    edited March 2011
    I am a social gamer. I like playing with other people in the same room. Online game play does not interest me at all.

I have literally played Halo (Halo 1, 2, 3 odst, reach) for 10 years and still love just about all of them and continue to play them with people.
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • comfortablycurtcomfortablycurt Posts: 6,746
    edited March 2011
    I know what you mean. I was never a real hardcore gamer...but I did used to play them quite a bit when I was younger. I'm 24 now, and for probably the last 4 years or so, I've had virtually zero interest in video games. I've hooked my Xbox up a few times over the last few years...and each time I do, I play it for about 15 minutes...shut it off...and then proceed to forget that I even own an Xbox for about another 9 months.

and this...
    Ever try a nice big bag of weed ?

...doesn't help either. If anything I'm even less into games with a nice big bag of weed...cuz then I just wanna listen to music, play guitar or go hiking.:smile:

Honestly, my Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis get WAY more use than my Xbox anymore...and even those probably only get a few hours of game play a year. Every now and then when I've got friends over, we'll hook up the Genesis or SNES and play some old school games. I honestly just enjoy those older games more than newer games.

So...in closing...

Video games suck.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • cokewithvanillacokewithvanilla Posts: 1,774
    edited March 2011
    Same thing happened to me about 4 years ago. I rarely pick up a game these days, but when I do, it's not for playing, it's for the story. I would actually rather watch someone play the game, or watch a youtube play through than actually play (did this for Stone Keep). Pick up a game with a good storyline with little interaction.... Dreamfall: The Longest Journey comes to mind... excellent... its like a 36 hour movie.

I'll play one game for like one day (the whole day, literally) every 3-4 months or so... usually I beat the game and then I'm done... but I like to pick something with a great storyline.... Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (1 and 2) come to mind... maybe assassins creed... a little more involvement there though.
  • snotpmahsnotpmah Posts: 40
    edited March 2011
    Some of my fondest memories are of my brother and I loading up on pizza and ice cream, and gaming all night until one of us realizes the other one is passed out still holding the controller. Usually sometime after the sun comes up.

Many of today's single-player games have such a steep learning curve that I just lose interest and get buyer's remorse about 2 hrs. in (WTF did I just spend $50 on??)

Anybody remember 'Sacrifice' for the PC, from like 2002? This is still loaded into my laptop and I can still enjoy this when I'm on the road. IMO, one of the best games ever created with graphics way before it's time. It's a combo. of first-person, RPG and strategy rolled into one. After you beat the game there are many maps to play, and you can play with or against up to 4 other people at once. If you can find a copy in the bargain bin, or a garage sale I think you'll be surprised how engrossing it is. Hell, I'll even burn a copy for anyone that wants to try it!

Some all-time favorites:

Sacrifice
    Mario Kart
    Victorious Boxers (hilarious)
    Doom series (especially Doom 3)
    Prophecy
    Lands of Lore
    many of the Tom Clancy games
    Alone in the Dark
    The Seventh Guest, and Eleventh Hour
    Grand Theft Auto (any one)
    Gran Turismo series
    Hitman and Hitman 2
  • factorzfactorz Posts: 351
    edited March 2011
    I think it depends on the game, but I agree that my time for gaming is less these days. I don't I will ever be as I was when I was younger. Many hours of my life are gone because of the Zelda series.
  • cokewithvanillacokewithvanilla Posts: 1,774
    edited March 2011
    I almost forgot about mass effect and mass effect 2
  • mrbironmrbiron Posts: 5,134
    edited March 2011
    I think the biggest problem for me would be the Home Ownership. This box eats up 75% of my free time.
    I also have found that though i have bought some of the recent new releases, they don't do much for me. Repetition is the new trend.
    I'm only looking forward to La Noire and Gears Of War 3. Interest level is falling off at a rapid rate. It's a shame they couldn't stick to the classic hockey feel instead of adding in so many technical aspects...I don't care about broken sticks, i just want to check and score goals....period.
    Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65, Bryston BDA-2, Cheap TT, PS Audio UPC200, PS Audio AC3's, Zu Mission SC's, HTPC, One, Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball, Senn's MD HD600
  • NeskahiNeskahi Posts: 297
    edited March 2011
    Have you tried "Duck Hunt" by Nintendo? I can still play it for days.:smile:
    SDA 2.3/RDO's... xovers by Ben
    SDA 2.3TL/Stock..
    SDA 1C/Solens/RDO's [gave to my Uncle]
    SDA 2B RDO's
    Snell Type CV
    SDA 1.2TL's
    GFA7700 Adcom
    GFP750 Adcom
    TFM55X Carver
    M90 Pioneer/C90 Pre
    M91 x 2 Pioneers/C91 Pre
    Yaqin MC10l
    DCD-1520/1560/2560 Denon
    Marantz DVD-8400
    Carver m1.5T
    DV-79avi Pioneer
    TFM35X x 2
  • lanionlanion Posts: 843
    edited March 2011
    I've just gotten picky. Buy 7 or so games a year... Get into half, wife plays the rest. Games need atmosphere for me. I need to enjoy the game world at all times. Last good game for me was Demon Souls. Enjoying Dragon Age 2 though so far. KillzOne 3 with motion controls has potential... Not sucked in yet though.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,352
    edited March 2011
    factorz wrote: »
    I think it depends on the game, but I agree that my time for gaming is less these days. I don't I will ever be as I was when I was younger. Many hours of my life are gone because of the Zelda series.

I don't play video games but would probably like them some day. Sorry, I did play Star Wars, Rouge Squadron II for a Pc and I really loved it.

But this reply was about my brother inlaw spending hundreds of hours and I mean HUNDREDS of hours on the first Zelda game and he had a ton of all the prizes and weapons and what ever to kick but in that land only to have it all erased or wiped out by mistake by my nephew. My nephew had to stear clear of him for about a week until he calmed down.:biggrin:
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,352
    edited March 2011
    Neskahi wrote: »
    Have you tried "Duck Hunt" by Nintendo? I can still play it for days.:smile:

I read somewhere that that game was VERY addictive and FUN as can be. I'm thinking even in Japan, it made a huge buzz to.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • greyford1979greyford1979 Posts: 763
    edited March 2011
    I had the same thing happen about 4 years ago, actually right around the same time I met my fiance. It's like I just woke up and didn't feel like playing any more and have no urge to play to this day.:confused:
    I love animals, they're delicious!
  • KrazyMofo24KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,144
    edited April 2011
    That's happened to me on most games. I still like some PS3 games. But the only thing I play is Starcraft II. That's able to keep me always wanting to play it.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• stereo55stereo55 Posts: 405
    edited May 2011
    Going through the same scenario with pc gaming . Nothing is really grabbing me like it used to , and I have a TON of on UNfinished games just sitting on my bookshelf . Although part of its probably my older age , or just the lack of interesting newer quality games . At this point Iam really wondering why I upgraded my video cards to a pair of GTX 560's (SLi) , when I probably would have gotten more enjoyment from upgrading something in my bedroom HT .

I still play quite abit of BC2 with my brother as a teammate , but thats still getting abit old/repetitive (and there is alot of bots and scripting going on these days too which really is bringing the interst level down even further) . Going to try something differant (out of my norm) , and picked up Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood for dirt cheap ; so I hope that helps (thats if I can except the consol'ish part of these two , without too much fuss).

I'd realy like Valve to bring back some new Half-life goodies , as the quality on that series was always excellant and with a good storyline .
  • cheif pontiaccheif pontiac Posts: 142
    edited May 2011
    the commitment to play most new games is what turns me off. everything is a big long adventure that takes hours to learn.I was looking to buy a new game at best buy and it is all the same involved first person shooter. I bought some WW2 plane game figuring i'd have as much fun trying to fly it as actually play the game.

back in the day you could put a quarter in the machine, play defender, galaxian, asteroids as much or as little as you want. it is frustrating to be stuck in one spot and not move on because i can't find a secret whatever. i never got the bridge open on gta III. just stuck there forever. I'd also rather shot inanimate objects than people. (disclaimer: don't get me wrong, i'm not one who thinks video games or movies is what causes problems in our society).

I tend to put in a retro game or car race that i can spend x amount of time on and get on with my life.
    System:
    Samsung LN46C630
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V1
    DVD/Blu: Denon 2910/Playstation 3
    Front mains: RT16
    Front presence: F/X 500i
    Center: CS400
    Rear surrounds: RT1000p
    Rear center: RT7
    Subwoofer: PSW505 X 2

2 Channel
    Marantz 2252B
    Technics SL-Q2 turntable
    Kef Q50
  • HTaddictHTaddict Posts: 13
    edited May 2011
    I really think part of it is an age thing..and the other part is in my opinion the storyline of alot of the new games coming out are lame..if i cant get into the story i dont care to play on..Video game developers need better writers..period..I am a huge oblivion fan and cannot believe they wouldnt have an expansion of that game on a regular basis..Seems to me to be money in the bank..Lookin forward to Skyrim due out late this year..Fallout 3 was a decent choice.but having trouble getting into new vegas..Good luck hope yu find sumthing to get yor fix on sumthing..Game on!!:biggrin:
  • AsSiMiLaTeDAsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,717
    edited May 2011
    I played the hell out of some Borderlands on PC, most of it online with a friend or two. I'll still crank that up from time to time, but not much any more.

I really enjoyed Red Dead Redemption on PS3, but replayability isn't all that great.

I thoroughly enjoyed Portal 2 (for PS3 and PC) and just finished up the Co-op stuff last night, finished the single player a couple weeks or so ago. I can't wait for the DLC to come out.

I just finished up Crysis 2 on PC and am doing a replay on that now. I had not read much about C2 but I loved it, using a completely different approach the second time around (turn on cheats and crank difficulty up to max and just blast my way through the game!!!)

Those are really the only 4 games that I've spent any real time on in probably the last year.
  • Toolfan66Toolfan66 Posts: 14,266
    edited May 2011
    If I was still a connoisseur of the marijuana I could get into gaming but those days are long gone with playing hacky sack..:tongue: