Proceed has gotten me closer to my nirvana...

blueboxer
blueboxer Posts: 621
edited February 2011 in Electronics
Picked up a used Proceed AMP 5 this afternoon and loved it the moment I put it in place. Starting with the Anthem D2 and MCA 50 provided me with more than sufficient power for my Mythos ST setup and provided a VERY detailed listening experience in both the movie and music format. I think they provided the best movie experience I have experienced to date. However, I found the detail to lend to the brightness of the Mythos when it came to music.

I later switched out the D2 for a NAD T-175 and the music took on the more laid back and neutral sound I was looking for. Movies were less dynamic, but still stellar. The main difference was the THX processing the D2 provided. I was considering going back to Paradigm Studio 100's or the Martin Logan Spires to get closer to the sound I ultimately wanted, but BlueFox hooked me up with a Wadia transport and bypassing the Ipod and Itunes provided a more open and transparent listening experience. My speakers finally started to disappear into the sound the way I had envisioned my setup. This gave me hope that I could continue to improve my sound without abandoning my entire speaker setup.

Enter the Proceed. I was happy with the NAD 955 and 175 combo, the highs had improved to that powdery soft warmness of NAD, but the mids and bass didn't seem as full as they had with the Anthem. So I asked for the advice of a few senior members here and it seemed that B&K, higher end NAD amps, and Proceed were recommended and enjoyed the most. I ended up going with the Proceed based on the many reviews out there as well as one being only a couple hours away. So five hours round trip and some awesome buffalo wings later I was plugging in the Proceed with the NAD.

After listening to some John Mayer, The Band Perry, Johnny Cash, and Morgan Paige I was all around floored with all the genres. The sound was everywhere with none of the speakers being identified with the sound. The detail of the Anthem and flavor of the NAD were both present in all the good ways. I am extremely happy with the sound of my setup at this point and only hope to improve the music with the addition of a solid DAC in the near future.

If anyone is ever wondering if used high end gear is better than new mid fi gear, it definitely was in my case. Here is my overall setup at the time:

Mythos ST upfront
Mythos 10 all around
NAD T-175 HD
Proceed AMP 5
Wadia 170i transport/ digital coax out to the NAD
Interconnects are Audioquest Columbias
Speaker cable up front are MIT EXP
Speaker cable to the rear is some premium monster cable from before
Post edited by blueboxer on

Comments

• danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited February 2011
    Nice System!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • blueboxer
    edited February 2011
    Thanks, it has been an ongoing process for the last couple years. Started with a Denon 2809 and a PS3 with some old school Boston Acoustic VR's and after seeing and hearing the Mythos speakers I thought they would be perfect for the home. Unfortunately, I then listened to a NAD Master Series setup with some Paradigm Sigs and realized there was so much more available. Fast forward to a couple processors, amps, and cables and I think my toe has finally started inching into the right direction. I might go with an Arcam 888 or a used Classe or Halcro down the line, but for now I am beyond where I thought I would be for the money spent.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2011
    Come on Sonny. Tell the truth. You love the Wadia so much that now you need to upgrade the rest of the system to be at the same level. :biggrin:

Nice find. Amps do make a difference.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • blueboxer
    edited February 2011
    Actually, it really did make me realize that every little part of the chain can add up to a better sound, imaging, tone, and that elusive musicality. I knew my source was limiting me before, but I didn't think switching from an apple tv or cd player to the Wadia and internal DAC of the NAD would had made such a subtle, but nice change. I am on the hunt for a Bel Canto DAC at the moment, all the version twos that I had eyed have sold and the version 3 will only be an option with a black face (my blasted OCD strikes again). I am looking forward to some LSiM speakers in the mix in the near future as well.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2011
    My guess is a good external DAC would be an improvement, but it is just a guess. Of course, there is always something to change. The digital cable and power supply are also upgrade options.

My DAC path with the Wadia was from a Benchmark to the Bryston. Along that line, I went from a Wadia stock cable to a Mapleshade digital cable, to MIT. If you are thinking of another DAC send me a PM. The Benchmark is gathering dust.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • blueboxer
    edited February 2011
    I will hit you up, the Benchmark was also on my short list based on reviews, but a pricey piece it it along with the Mapleshade gear. I will likely go with all MIT cables through Joe in a month or two. I was holding off on further upgrades with the ICs until I figured out if I was definitely staying with the Anthem or NAD, thus the balanced or RCA cables. Thanks, Bud.