Installed the spikes in my RTi 70's - but my fear came true!

Options
brasil
brasil Posts: 267
edited August 2003 in Speakers
Well, I installed the spikes in the RTI 70's per most of your recommendations. I did not overtighten them, but I turned them until they felt snug. Well when I stood the speakers up they were not level. So I saw that one spike needed to be loosened a little. When I loosenned it I quickly realized that the spike came off along with the stud that is mounted on the base of the RTi 70. I was very dissapointed at how weak that stud is that is mounted on the base of these speakers. Is this normal, because I did not put that much pressure when tightening the spikes to the base? Should I take the speakers back and exchange them for other ones?:confused:
Post edited by brasil on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited July 2003
    Options
    DANG POS MDF!!!!!! ;) - Warranty?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    i've never had this happen to me.. you must be a big brute of a man. ha ha ha.

i've seen some towers where this has happen. or worse... where the bass is actually broken or cracked. Like Mx said.. it is only MDF afterall.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2003
    Options
    It happened to me twice with my RTi70's when I had them. The first time I swapped the speaker at the store, the second time Ken from Polk sent me a new speaker base. They should be spiked though, so don't be afraid to do it when you get the new speaker.
  • brasil
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Well, I will take them back. I guess in my next pair, I will tighten the spikes only hand tight with my fingers.
  • brasil
    edited August 2003
    Options
    There is not much thread at all when you screw the spikes in, therefor there is not much room to make adjustments when you need to get them all leveled. Honestly, I barely tightened them with a ranch. Very poor quality.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I don't think its poor quality, you have to be careful as you stated you were, I have had a few pairs of 70's and never happend. Not to say it can't, its not a usual accurance.. hand tighten always.. no need at all to tighten with a wrench, makes it harder to adjust later.. you don't need much adjustment to make them level..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp