What's going on with my sub?

LILDRAGON
LILDRAGON Posts: 47
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi I guess I blew one of my MM124's so it is being sent in for warranty service. I decided to hook up a GXR and to my amasement it hit harder than the MOMO. What is up with that! I am running the MM124 off a Cadence Z9000 (800 Watts RMS) bridge in a .88cu sealed box and running the 12" GXR off the same amp on one channel (300 Watts RMS) in a bandpass box. Can someone tell me what I did wrong? Thanks
Post edited by LILDRAGON on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    The GXR sub has a higher sensitivity rating than the MOMO so it will hit harder because it is physically playing louder than the MOMO at the same power level that the MOMO was playing at. Problem is, that 800 watts of power is way too much for that GXR. Which is why you don't see too many GXR subs with alot of power behind them. They probably don't last very long.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • LILDRAGON
    edited July 2003
    Just a correction the GXR is running on 300 Watts RMS @ 13.8V not 800.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    Oh, I thought you were running it at the same power as the MOMO.

The sensitivity still stands as my explination. I imagine that box design could have something to do to it too because sensitivity and things like Xmax, Vas, Fs and Qts are all different for the GXR and that can change the characteristics of the enclosure too. It can still be tuned for maybe something like 35 Hz but that GXR is going to react to that enclosure alot differently.

The sensitivity plays a much larger part in all of it. The GXR has a sensitivity rating of 90 dB and teh MOMO is 87 or 88 I believe. That makes a very large difference that is quite audible. But, as you know, the GXR cannot handle as much power as the MOMO and it's not as clean.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2003
    i agree, increased sens. rating as well as being thrown in a BP box... i imagine the GXR while maybe louder in the BP box off less power is not nearly as musically pleasing as the momo is.

and the cadence amp is pimp !
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • LILDRAGON
    edited July 2003
    Thanks for both your replys. Yeah I love my Cadence Z9000 it kicks @ss, thanks PBD for the great recommendation a while back. Just waiting for my MM124 to come back.