Art vs. ****

Options
falconcry72
falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
edited August 2010 in The Clubhouse
I was bored today decided to compare "art" to "****" in Google Trends. For those who don't know: Google Trends is a feature in Google that lets you compare how often words or phrases are searched for.

As an artist, this was a disappointing comparison.

I expected "****" to be searched for more than "art", but I did not expect "art's" numbers to be in a steady decline. I also didn't expect "art" to have been searched for more back in 2004. I wish it would let you go back farther in the past. Also, this search was just in the USA, but the global results were almost identical.

So what does this mean? Something? Nothing? Who cares?

Edit: upon further inspection of the graph I just noticed that there are several areas where a sharp spike in "****" is echoed by a sharp dip in "art". Interesting.
2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
Post edited by falconcry72 on

Comments

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited August 2010
    Options
    If one were searching for either, would not one be more likely to search in more specific terms, like "Rembrandt" or "...... "? If one is looking for info related to their Toyota, one does not usually begin with a search on "car".
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited August 2010
    Options
    This thread is meaningless to me...

I always thought Art and **** were exactly the same thing.:confused::confused::confused::p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2010
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    If one were searching for either, would not one be more likely to search in more specific terms, like "Rembrandt" or "...... "? If one is looking for info related to their Toyota, one does not usually begin with a search on "car".

Yea I understand that searches for the word "art" only make up small percentage of art-related searches, and searches for the word "****" only make up a small percentage of ****-related searches; I just thought the trend between between those two words was interesting.

Maybe people searching for art have just gotten more specific with their keywords whereas people searching for **** have become more vague with theirs, who knows...

Maybe it's the economy. A lot of people who used to buy art can't afford it any more, but as long as you have a few minutes to spare you can afford a quick.... well you get the picture.;):D:p
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2010
    Options
    This thread is meaningless to me...

I always thought Art and **** were exactly the same thing.:confused::confused::confused::p

Well they certainly overlap in areas...:rolleyes:

• falconcry72
    edited August 2010
    Options
    anonymouse wrote: »
    The absolute number of searches for art are in all likelihood increasing, but the proportion of searches for art vs. _all_ searches is decreasing.

Good point.

• Thelmaavenport
    Options
    This is a very important point and completely changes the perspective. The absolute number of searches for art are in all likelihood increasing, but the proportion of searches for art vs. _all_ searches is decreasing.I also didn't expect "art" to have been searched . I wish it would let you go back farther in the past. Also, this search was just in the USA, but the global results were almost identical.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Curious why there are sudden spikes around Christmas? Am I doing Christmas wrong these days...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Who cares about google trends?
    We all know ct videos are 90% of all traffic. The remaining 10%
    is poon
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson