optical audio out... what happened to it?

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited August 2010 in Electronics
I won't go into my whole bluray vs SD-DVD thing here. But I've just noticed that there's not one SD-DVD player on the shelves that has the OPTICAL AUDIO OUT jack no more. (Even non-HDMI players don't have this jack no more.)

Why is this? Where did this output go?

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Face it, you're getting old. I said the same thing when transistors came out. Where's the tubes?
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2010
    Options
    the newer hi res formats will onl have analog out or hdmi, they do this to stop piracy

where have you been for ummmm like 6 years lol

it started with SACD
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2010
    Options
    If you blink things will change. Just remember....

It's BETTER!

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Coax is still available on most DVD players.

As for why, high-res formats = analog out or HDMI.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Face it, you're getting old. I said the same thing when transistors came out. Where's the tubes?
    WAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! :D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I think even analog is slated to be removed in the near future for hi-res output.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Uh-huh. Analog has way to many aspects of the video and HI-FI outlay for the manufactures to completely abolish. I call Shenanigan's.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I know that SACD isn't supported through a digital coaxial. It it because of piracy issues or it can't handle the flow of data?
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I believe it can't handle the data flow..
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • Micah Cohen
    edited August 2010
    Options
    where have you been for ummmm like 6 years lol
    Perfectly happy sitting in the dark watching a perfectly calibrated Pio SD-DVD player from the stone age that has an optical audio out.

Is Optical a "bad" technology? I can't believe that a coax is a better audio carrier. Is it?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I think coax is just easier for the manufacturer, and 99% of people don't know or care about the difference. :)
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Perfectly happy sitting in the dark watching a perfectly calibrated Pio SD-DVD player from the stone age that has an optical audio out.

Is Optical a "bad" technology? I can't believe that a coax is a better audio carrier. Is it?

MC
    Optical is not bad technology but it had a hard time to succeed due to the cost. Optical is also a lot more fragile and prone to failure then copper.
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited August 2010
    Options

MC

Actually, many do believe that digital coax is a better connection than optical. It typically has lower jitter and provides a more secure connection ( toslink does pull out too easy IMO)

Of course, if your trying to isolate electrical noise or a ground hum, then its a different story.

BTW, many of the manufacturers are completely dropping SD-DVD players and are only producing BluRay players. I have seen some of those with optical connections (the Oppo 80 has it, as does the Panny 60)
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • treitz3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I can't go so far as to say that it's bad technology but from experience? RCA [not coax] is the way to go. Why? The end result in sound as to what hits your ears and the ability to tweak your "soundscape", if you will.

With optical, in my experience, you are limited to one [as I would put it] digitally edged sound. As with most things, there are attributes and there are deficiencies. Run with what you like but I will never again have an optical cable for sound.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2010
    Options
    With newer DAC's and quality optical and coax cables, the difference is minimal or none at all.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The strongest argument of toslink to me is electrical isolation which is why I run it on my PC music system. However, it can also theoretically run as far as you want without signal degradation also.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I would imagine that Toshiba (link) products might feature their toslink cable hook ups for as long as they can? As said above, Panasonic also, seems to still like them?

But the future is HDMI.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Face
    edited August 2010
    Options
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Optical was capped at 96k I wonder if this is what killed it. I know for a fact optical could go as fast as we could push it ;) But saying this I wonder what we consumers would do if they upgraded optical speed making the old no workie. Look how we began to feel about all the HDMI variations they seem to come out every so often to mess with us.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Micah Cohen
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Without a receiver with HDMI-in capabilities, there'd be no way to run component video out to the TV (for unprocessed video) and HDMI (for audio only) to the receiver for audio processing, correct? (Could I do something like that?)

I think HDMI is really getting on my nerves.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited August 2010
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    The strongest argument of toslink to me is electrical isolation which is why I run it on my PC music system.
    Many DAC's have pulse transformers at there 75ohm coax inputs which afford them essentially the same level of isolation from ground loops etc.
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2010
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I can't go so far as to say that it's bad technology but from experience? RCA [not coax] is the way to go. Why? The end result in sound as to what hits your ears and the ability to tweak your "soundscape", if you will.

With optical, in my experience, you are limited to one [as I would put it] digitally edged sound. As with most things, there are attributes and there are deficiencies. Run with what you like but I will never again have an optical cable for sound.
    Odd, from what I've read and IMHO RCA was the worse, most unreliable connector of its time. The only reason it was chosen is simply because it was cheap. IMHO BNC would have done a much better job and would have been a lot more reliable than RCA but cost was an issue. If optical used the same type of connector as what is used in proffessional installation or equipment, RCA would be long gone. Again cost is the only reason for optical cable with proper connections for not being widely used.
    Zero wrote: »
    Optical isn't a bad technology at all. I don't have any definitive answer on the topic. All I can do is 'guess' that the reason is two fold. 1) HDMI has largely replaced Optical cables. 2) Its cheaper for a manufacturer to produce a piece that uses one type of digital output. Optical introduces yet another circuit that must take a digital signal, convert that to light, then the other component must reconvert that signal back to digital, until finally converting it back to analog.

Dunno, thats my lamens guess.
    That is the keyword; CHEAPER!
    cnh wrote: »
    I would imagine that Toshiba (link) products might feature their toslink cable hook ups for as long as they can? As said above, Panasonic also, seems to still like them?

But the future is HDMI.

cnh
    Face wrote: »
    I like the idea however, again an unreliable connector (in this case the connector locks and while this is a good thing the leaf spring action from the female connector will loose its effectiveness over time).

If toslink was using good quality connector for home product, IMHO there is no doubt of its effectiveness and reliability.

Below is a quality connector I remember when fiber was introduced in the military.
    Obsolete Connectors

SMA

Amphenol developed the SMA from the "Subminiature A" hence SMA, microwave connector. The model 905 had a machined ferrule exactly 1/8 inch in diameter that mated in a machined adapter. When the adapters were not precise enough for better fibers, a necked-down ferrule that mated with a Delrin adapter for better insertion loss performance. These connectors are still in use on some military and industrial systems.
    http://www.thefoa.org/tech/connID.htm
    sma.jpg
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • jefcully
    jefcully Posts: 4
    edited August 2010
    Options
    First let me clarify a few things for you. The optical output is capable of carrying at least 5.1 audio channels (the .1 is your subwoofer in the reality of his 6-channel audio, actually). The same goes for digital coaxial cable capable of carrying at least 6-channel audio. The difference between the two is that coaxial digital signal carries a digital electronics (two voltage levels - 1 or 0) to multi-channel receiver. With optical, it does not carry an electronic signal or analog of any transaction, or digital instead it carries a laser light beam of high freqency intensity trends as a function of the sound wave. Once you receive the multichannel optical signal, then converts it into a cable box signal.your electronic obtained optical audio output to connect directly to the receiver multi-channel, cable TV is not going your video cable (DVI, HDMI , Component, S-Video, Composite, Coaxial). If you connect HDMI make sure you turn the TV speakers turn your TV volume to a minimum since the HDMI carries sound as I said well.What above applies to all sources 5.1 output even your DVD player with speakers or television optical digital.Your not give your Dolby Surround Sound, so its useless to include the TV for audio. Hopefully it disappears.
  • treitz3
    edited August 2010
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    Odd, from what I've read and IMHO RCA was the worse, most unreliable connector of its time. The only reason it was chosen is simply because it was cheap.
    Hold on. Stop right there....What? Are you kidding me? Please tell me you are kidding.

Do you have any actual experience to back that up?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Ha...Micah bailed on this thread allready and you guys are still pissin' in the wind over RCA's.

Tom...school that boy will ya please.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited August 2010
    Options
    BNC is a far superior connection to a RCA - it goes in and twist lock - no pressure needed to keep it in and just reverse it to release.

Just like NL4 is far superior to a standard 1/4 jack

Optical out DVD player? Ever heard of a XBOX 360?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Face
    edited August 2010
    Options
    BNC and XLR are both vastly superior than RCA.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    BNC and XLR are both vastly superior than RCA.

I forgot about XLR, XLR smokes RCA
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited August 2010
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hold on. Stop right there....What? Are you kidding me? Please tell me you are kidding.

Do you have any actual experience to back that up?

Tom, I agree with him.

BNC should have been THE connector of choice.

BNC-RCA.jpg

Twin%20BNC%20connector%20500px.png
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer