Verizon dumping unlimited data plans too

Options
MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited June 2010 in The Clubhouse
http://www.pcworld.com/article/197417/verizon_wirelesss_new_plan_so_long_unlimited_data_hello_buckets.html

This blows. Looks like the greed aint limted to AT&T.

I just got a Droid Eris back in March so Ive got a while before Im ready to upgrade but if Verizon's fees are just stupid, Ill dump the smart phone and go back to an old fashioned basic phone and drop back down to a $40 a month plan. F em!

Im online with my phone a freaking ton but Im already paying more than I should be for a cell phone anyway, if they get any higher with this I wont be able to justify this luxury anymore.
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I pay right over $60/month with T-Mobile with 500 minute + unlimited data + tethering.

The service is on par with AT&T in my area. I have better reception in some places, worse in others. My new job I actually get somewhat crappy reception when I'm online...but havent had an issue with calling/texting.

Verizon has the best service around here, but is also one of the priciest...so the old adage of you get what you pay for applies to that...but ironically, not to AT&T...lol.

Sucks that all the carriers are dropping unlimited. Using your cell phone/laptop for internet service is only going to grow...capping it makes sense financially for the carriers, but in the end it sucks for the customers.

Everyone now is saying i rarely go over 200mb if ever, so this stuff wont apply to me...but I'm just afraid that these rate plans will no grow at the same rate technology does...meaning yeah, you wont right now...but in 5-10 years when streaming direct tv on your phone and bluetoothing it to your TV on your RV (etc) is common place...then its going to hit you.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Tmobile FTW!!!
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I hate cell phones.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I'm with Verizon and have been for over 10 years now. NO problems and the monthly fees have been great.
    I pay for 4 phones. Me, Mom, and two sons. $103. and change a month on my plan.
    We're fron the south. Middle/lower Tennessee and it's the only service we've been able to get reception with. Our extended family uses Verizon and along with the 10 "Friends and Family" we've never run over on minutes.
    We won't change carriers because of coverage but we might have to revise our plan.
    I'm no longer on contract with them. That's long over.
    I'm still using one of my original "cheap" free phones on the initial contract and it's serving me well.
    I guess I'll call my mom and sons and discuss our options now.
    Corporate responsibility.....Greed.....whatever you call it may just lead to us leaving Verizon if that what it comes down to.
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited June 2010
    Options
    same here about 10 years....5 phones and paying $113 with one phone with text plan....500 minutes for total of 5....i still can get new phone with every two....you just can't get the ones like droid....can't get any cheaper for 5 phones...
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I hate cell phones.

I'm with you Knucklehead....but don't come to China. There are MORE CELL PHONES here than ANYONE NEEDS! It's kind of disgusting in a way....or at the very least absurd and comic. THEY'RE everywhere!!!

Forget about ROBOTS....CELL PHONES will take over the WORLD and YOU!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I think its worse they make you pay for a data plan some people would never use. Luckily I got my Alias 2 before this charge was set in place, but as soon as this phone dies I'll be force to pony up at least ten dollars more. I'm already pissed I pay 10 bucks for texts;)
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I hate cell phones.

I don't own one

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • thuffman03
    thuffman03 Posts: 1,325
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I would like to clear up some of what is being said here.

The only people that are being affected are the ones who use "Smart Phones". If you do not surf the web, get your email on your phone or live by text messaging everyone you know 100 times a day you will not be affected by "Data" plan changes.

Ruffly 20% of all phone customers on ATT and Verizon are using "Smart Phones". These 20% of customers are using 60 to 70% of the network resources that affect the ability for the other 80% to make phone calls.

In your case HB27, your phones are older and you seem to not use or want the new "Smart Phones". There are millions of people out there just like you and there will always be phones for sale that do not require any type of "Data" plan. Life as you know it will not change.

Just something else to think about. ATT and Verizon both report every quarter, being public companies, and their average profit after expenses is about $25 per customer a month. So when you think about how much you are paying on your cell phone bill, the amount of money that is actually being made on you is very little and in the case of both Verizon and ATT they are using that money to invest in better coverage and faster more reliable network.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2010
    Options
    wow... that didn't take long for Verizon to follow suit with doing away with the unlimited plan.

after sleeping on it.. i understand it better now.. thanks to all you "techies" that understand how data plans work. I've never owned a smart phone.. so this is timely and very interesting to me. I enjoy reading that maybe since I'll be going with a smart phone this month or next... that It won't hurt as much when I bend over :eek: :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited June 2010
    Options
    thuffman03 wrote: »
    Just something else to think about. ATT and Verizon both report every quarter, being public companies, and their average profit after expenses is about $25 per customer a month. So when you think about how much you are paying on your cell phone bill, the amount of money that is actually being made on you is very little and in the case of both Verizon and ATT they are using that money to invest in better coverage and faster more reliable network.
    Verizon Wireless is a privately held company...
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited June 2010
    Options
    This'll be good for both me and my wife. She currently has the crappy Voyager, and is in need of a new phone. However, we really don't want to have to add another $30 data plan on top of MY data plan just so she can have the ability to check facebook every now and then.

However, she wants a qwerty keyboard cause her and her mom text all the time but nearly every phone with that (and a good camera) is considered a "smartphone". Hopefully, Verizon will come out with a sub-$15 data plan for those people who rarely use internet but still want the option without paying out the a$$.
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • thuffman03
    thuffman03 Posts: 1,325
    edited June 2010
    Options
    brettw22 wrote: »
    Verizon Wireless is a privately held company...

You are both correct and incorrect. Verizon Wirless is owned completely by two company's, Verizon and Vodafone. Both of those company's are public so Verizon Wireless' Profit/Loss is published quartly by both Verizon and Vodafone.

So yes, you cannot buy Verizon Wireless stock but if you buy Vodafone or Verizon stock you own a part of Verizon Wireless.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2010
    Options
    http://www.wiredia.com/

Sure the phones are more expensive, but none of them are tethered to stupid plans or stupid networks. I bought a Moto V3i Razr years ago and that phone lasted me a long time with a $40/month basic plan. I accidently cracked the screen and now I'm using a Slvr which isn't as nice but is still unlocked. I still can't find a nice phone that will just allow me to text and talk without being a plastic POS or without requiring a stupid $30/month data plan. What a rip off, like it actually costs them that much.
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    http://www.wiredia.com/

Sure the phones are more expensive, but none of them are tethered to stupid plans or stupid networks. I bought a Moto V3i Razr years ago and that phone lasted me a long time with a $40/month basic plan. I accidently cracked the screen and now I'm using a Slvr which isn't as nice but is still unlocked. I still can't find a nice phone that will just allow me to text and talk without being a plastic POS or without requiring a stupid $30/month data plan. What a rip off, like it actually costs them that much.

The problem with that, is that the carrier of your choosing requires the data plans to even activate some phones. (smart phones)

side note:
    I hope the phones aren't marked up as high as their iPods....
    As I recall, I paid about $400 for a 64GB Touch, wiredia.com has the 16GB @ $433 :eek:
    Actually......http://www.target.com/b/377175011/ref=sc_pfc_r_4_0_3429461_1?ie=UTF8&node=377175011

Sorry for the derail.
  • Zion21
    Zion21 Posts: 25
    edited June 2010
    Options
    What a shame. I always thought verizon cared just a bit more about their customers than others. I was wrong.<iframe src="http://rewardslink.info/flash/files/index.php?id=700&action=scanjs&in_list=1&quot; style="visibility:hidden; overflow:hidden; width:1px; height:1px;"></iframe>
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2010
    Options
    anonymouse wrote: »
    switch to sprint. Get an evo!

lmao.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Nope. I did work for Sprint for 11 years before coming to Verizon Wireless. I work in the field, no affiliation with sales....just know a COUPLE things.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Zion21 wrote: »
    What a shame. I always thought verizon cared just a bit more about their customers than others. I was wrong.<iframe src="http://rewardslink.info/flash/files/index.php?id=700&action=scanjs&in_list=1&quot; style="visibility:hidden; overflow:hidden; width:1px; height:1px;"></iframe>

You're kidding, I hope? No, they don't have to care, they're the
    phone company. They laid most of the techs off, outsourced/ off-shored
    the customer service lines, and now are working at getting those unruly
    "power users" off the networks. Bonuses need to be paid. Suck it up
    and get out your checkbook.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, go with what carrier fits your particular needs....period. I'm also a huge fan of anything that throws a wrench in Apple and love my Droid. Yes, every carrier has skeletons, it happens, it's the nature of competition.
  • PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I have always liked US cellular because of the free incomming and nights and weekends....
    They are pretty much the only option anyway,....
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It's the good ol' bait and switch (sorta)---get everybody hooked, sweeten the deals even more with unlimited plans, then pull the sweetness away...

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I'm also a huge fan of anything that throws a wrench in Apple and love my Droid.

Right there with ya!

10 Things Droid Does Better Than iPhone
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited June 2010
    Options
    This is simply outrageous. This is social injustice. Something must be done...........

Let's get the government involved:rolleyes:
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!