Football experts-why all the hate for Tebow?

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited April 2010 in The Clubhouse
So I'm driving around listening to ESPN radio and they are just trashing Tim Tebow. The way they talk, this guy won't be able to even find the field and he'll probably show up for his first practice with a baseball glove.

I'm no expert scout or anything but this guy led his team to 2 national championships, almost a 3rd, won a Heisman trophy, almost a 2nd and did all this in the toughest conference in college football.

Now I know the pros are a different system and I dont think he'll be the next Tom Brady but I don't get why everybody is predicting he'll be a complete failure.
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited April 2010
    Because everyone is a couch-coach. 95% of them don't know what the fvck they're talking about, and just follow the opinions of their favorite radio/tv jockey.

I don't get why they're all butt-hurt about him either.

Edit - 1001st post!
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited April 2010
    keeping in mind that I am neither a Tebow fan or hater here.

people are often jealous of those considerred great. Whenever someone is considerred so great that rises above all else, they will have an equal number of haters.

think Favre, Brady and others for football
    perhaps A-Rod, Jeter, and others for baseball (am not a baseball fan)

a good example was the hate for Jeff Gordon in Nascar, espescially those years he was kicking **** and taking names, late 90's early 00's?

it happens, it's human nature. I think Tebow will do well for the Broncs, can he live up to the hype? hell, who can.

I look at it this way, someone in Denver looked at that kid and said "F*(k yeah, I can work with that, snag em" and they did. was it the right decision? time will tell. thats football. stop talking **** and wait and see what happens.

part of my rant is the general **** talk of football fans in general. I go to alot of games and the hate I see in the stands baffles me. I'll sit next to a fan of another team and have a blast if its the right kind of person. sure I'll talk a little good natured smack but if the other team makes a good play, I'lll call it as such. I love the Jets, but I love good football from any team just as much.

there is a large percentage of sports fans that can be unbelievable dicks. I see them at every away game I go to, knowing full well I see some Dick jets fans at these games as well.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2010
    This is why sports folks make money - stirring up controversy. If they just talked about how awesome people were, no one would care. Why Tebow in particular gets sights trained on him? He's a known name.

Maybe an overly simplistic explanation but I think that's all it is.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited April 2010
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    This is why sports folks make money - stirring up controversy. If they just talked about how awesome people were, no one would care. Why Tebow in particular gets sights trained on him? He's a known name.

Maybe an overly simplistic explanation but I think that's all it is.

I would call it overly simplistic yet based, in no small part, in reality :)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited April 2010
    Remember Ryan Leaf...well - I would prefer to forget....

Time will tell - the NFL is a big step up from College - some who were 'great' in College don't fare well and disappear.

Let's see what happens.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited April 2010
    Erik Tracy wrote: »

Time will tell - the NFL is a big step up from College - some who were 'great' in College don't fare well and disappear.

Let's see what happens.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I swear I heard somewhere that something like 90% of Heisman Trophy winners end up failing miserably in the NFL.
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2010

Let's see what happens.
    Tebow seems to have a better head on his shoulders than Ryan Leaf. That, and alot of people thought Ryan Leaf was going to be hot right out of the gates, no one seems to think that way abou Tebow.

He seems like a good enough guy, I for one hope he comes out and kicks some major **** and proves everyone wrong.

Didn't alot of 'experts' think guys like Montana and Rice were going to be a bust as well...?
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited April 2010
    They said Jerry Rice was too slow...
    They said Joe Montana was too short and did not have the "big" arm...
    Haters.

I hope Tebow proves them all wrong.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited April 2010
    I like Tebow's character. I think the big concerns for him are "his throwing motion, lack of accuracy and style offense Florida runs."

I don't really buy throwing style being a death nail. Look at Phillip Rivers. Not exactly the most conventional release, but he certainly gets the job done in SD. I never thought Tebow was wildly inaccurate either, but I don't see him translating into a top flight starting QB for some reason. Maybe it's the system they run in Fla, but I have some gut doubt as to his ability to be a long-term success in the NFl...I like his character, so I hope he proves the masses wrong!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Erik Tracy
    edited April 2010
    jflail2 wrote: »
    I like Tebow's character. I think the big concerns for him are "his throwing motion, lack of accuracy and style offense Florida runs."

I don't really buy throwing style being a death nail. Look at Phillip Rivers. Not exactly the most conventional release, but he certainly gets the job done in SD. I never thought Tebow was wildly inaccurate either, but I don't see him translating into a top flight starting QB for some reason. Maybe it's the system they run in Fla, but I have some gut doubt as to his ability to be a long-term success in the NFl...I like his character, so I hope he proves the masses wrong!

I think the criticism about Tebow's release is that he lets his hand drop way down low before his release - a great target for a DL to reach out and knock away.

That's why the game is played - cuz no one yet can predict the future! :p

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Zitro
    Zitro Posts: 864
    edited April 2010
    jflail2 wrote: »

My girlfriend goes to UF and I watched/went to many of their games over the last couple of years. The problem with Tebow's accomplishments is this: it wasn't nearly all him. He had an excellent coaching staff/ supporting cast that covered a lot of his mistakes. If you watch their spread offense, it doesn't require a QB with a great arm. Tebow's throwing motion is low and slow, as is his decision making when he has to pass. The passes downfield are not nearly as accurate or pretty as other NCAA QB's, and Sam Bradford really displayed that during the National title game a couple of years back; Bradford's passes downfield were tight spirals, Tebow's were wobbly lobs, two of which were intercepted (iirc). That's just his throwing arm though; he hasn't really needed to throw well since he came to UF. Yeah, he's big and mobile and can get yards on the ground (against college defenses) but many times when he ran he wasn't even touched for 5+ yards; Florida has a top 5 o-line in the country for a couple of years. Urban Meyer is a coaching mastermind and the defense was always top-notch to cover his mistakes. Many college QB's could have had success in that system and with that supporting cast. It doesn't help that he is a national favorite just because he played at Florida and has those championships and Heisman, but lets face it, those college awards mean little in the NFL. He won't have that strong supporting cast and coaching genius to help him anymore, especially in Denver.

He won't be able to rely on his feet anymore in the NFL's complex and much faster defenses. He can't take so long to make decisions or go through his throwing motion either, and his release definitely needs to come up. Can he do all of those things? If he really works hard, I think he can, but it will be a process. Don't expect him to be a success for at least 2 seasons. His biggest pro coming out of college is his attitude. He is a tremendous leader with a passion for the game and knows how to win. Does that make him a good NFL QB? No. I honestly do not expect much from him in the NFL, but I'm open to the possibility of being wrong. UF has had plenty of "savior" Heisman QB's (Rex Grossman, Danny Wuerffel, Steve Spurrier, etc) that have amounted to little in the pros. College success does not equal NFL success, but I'm not one to say he can't be successful. I just don't believe he will.
    - Jeremy

Amps: Jolida FX-10, NAD 3045, NAD C320BEE, Sansui G-9700
    Speakers: Polk Monitor 7A's, KEF Reference 104aB
    Sources: ProJect Debut Carbon, Sonos streaming FLAC
  • Slinger182
    Slinger182 Posts: 512
    edited April 2010
    Well said Zitro I'm routing for Tebow to succeed but don't expect much from him.
    Panny 55-st30 plasma
    Pioneer vsx-1121
    Parasound 2100 pre
    b&k tx4430 amp
    Oppo bdp-83
    Monster HTS 3500
    polk TSi500s Vr3 Fortress modded
    polk CS20 center channel Vr3 Castle modded
    polk Owm 3 surrounds
    polk PSW505
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2010
    I hear ya man and I've heard all these arguments before and I'm not even saying they're invalid points but I can't believe you can dominate in a conference as tough as the SEC, go undefeated all those years and win TWO championships with a QB as bad as Tebow is supposed to be.

I just can't believe that college football is that much different than the NFL.

Tebow earned my respect when in the Tennessee game, he took off running and when he saw Eric Berry barrelling down on him at 70 mph, he lowered his head and plowed right into him and damn near ran him over.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Erik Tracy
    edited April 2010
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I hear ya man and I've heard all these arguments before and I'm not even saying they're invalid points but I can't believe you can dominate in a conference as tough as the SEC, go undefeated all those years and win TWO championships with a QB as bad as Tebow is supposed to be.

Tebow earned my respect when in the Tennessee game, he took off running and when he saw Eric Berry barrelling down on him at 70 mph, he lowered his head and plowed right into him and damn near ran him over.

Well - I would love to see that say against the Ravens and Ray Lewis gives a nice friendly "Welcome to the NFL" bell ringing! :D

Nothing like rookie humble pie! :D:p

Again - nothing against Tebow. But there are some pros that love to eat rookies.

• Zitro
    edited April 2010

Tebow is not a BAD QB. He's a decent QB, and a great college QB. But the college game really is very different from the NFL, especially from the system he is used to playing in. Dominating college ball is not the same as dominating the NFL. Especially for a QB because the game changes for them more than most. Yes, he took on Berry, and that just shows the heart he has. But heart doesn't win games by itself. I do agree that people are overestimating how poorly he will perform. But people are very black and white; its in our nature. He either will be a star or fail miserably to them. I think he can be an ok NFL QB, maybe even a regular starter, but I doubt he will live up to the hype and be worthy of that first round pick and losing all of those other picks in the process. He won't be a 3700 yard+, 25+ td a season QB.
    - Jeremy

• MacLeod
    edited April 2010
    One things for sure, its gonna be an interesting season. with everybody saying he's gonna suck, it won't be hard for him to prove everybody wrong. :D

• Zitro
    edited April 2010
    Well - I would love to see that say against the Ravens and Ray Lewis gives a nice friendly "Welcome to the NFL" bell ringing! :D

Nothing like rookie humble pie! :D:p

Again - nothing against Tebow. But there are some pros that love to eat rookies.

Haha yeah, Eric Berry is no Ray Lewis. He will get shook up by some of these guys for sure, but all rookies do. We'll see how he handles things not always going his way and facing a lot of adversity for the first time in 4 years.
    One things for sure, its gonna be an interesting season. with everybody saying he's gonna suck, it won't be hard for him to prove everybody wrong. :D

If we're both still active CP members in 5 years or so, we will definitely come back to this topic lol :cool:
    - Jeremy

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2010
    As a 40+ year Bronco fan, it's a roll of the dice drafting a QB in the first round, especially one that has so many questions about him. But let's remember the picks traded by Denver to get back into the first round were basically gained from trading down twice in the first round to begin with. Secondly, from all reports Coach McKid and Tebow hit it off phenomenally well. That same sort of thing happened between Elway and Shananhan when he became an ****'t coach in Denver, instant chemistry.

Now, will it turn out good, no one can say right now, though history proves that the odds are not in favor of Tebow. But, he'll have a year to sit back, practice his new throwing motion. If/when he does start he has the best pair of young tackles in the game in Clady & Harris, and other young offensive talent. The question becomes whether McKid will be around to coach him?
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Zitro
    edited April 2010
    markmarc wrote: »
    The question becomes whether McKid will be around to coach him?

If Denver finishes below .500 this year, I wouldn't bank on it.
    - Jeremy

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited April 2010
    Do you think Tebow and Rothlesberger go to the same church?
    Carl

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited April 2010
    I am on the fence on this one, Denver took a 50/50 shot here. it's one of those situations of he will do great or he will suck.. IMO Denver made a mistake but maybe I am wrong... I don't have the faith in Mckid just yet, I love his attitude for the game and he has spark no denying that, was this a good pick? well time will tell.

I am born and raised Native, and have been a fan since I was a kid, so I will always back my team but I still have doubts with them.

I miss Seattle being in the AFC west...
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited April 2010
    He's a big strong athletic guy -- if they can't smarten him up and shorten up his arm motion -- he'll make a hellavu tailback
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited April 2010
    I think Tebow has an inner strength that hasn't been tapped yet. If he decides that he really wants to play football for a living, get out of his way.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited April 2010
    I won't sugar-coat it: I don't like Tebow 'cause he's a weepy little bitchcake. But that said, he's humble enough to be very coachable... which is often better than getting yourself a diva if you're looking to field a cohesive offense. I'm interested to see how the guy does... even if he does cry like a little girl with a skinned knee. ;)
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen