Polk mid range driver "freeze"

Big Dan R
Big Dan R Posts: 131
edited June 2003 in Troubleshooting
What is the cause and solution to why Polk mid range drivers "freeze" ? They no longer move as much but still produce sound? The lower freq's are diminished. Interconnects, driver connects seem ok. Maybe crossovers???
Thanks,
Dan
Post edited by Big Dan R on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    What speaker model are you referring to? One in specific?

I know on the SDA/Monitor/RTA series, sometimes in shipping (if handled very rough, the magnet on the driver can actually shift, and 'lock' the voicecoil in place. The driver will still produce *some* sound, but no movement in the cone whatsoever.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Gentle pressure should be applied at the cones outer edge as equally as you can around its perimeter with thumb and fingers spread wide.

With the system shut down, if you press gently on the mid/woofs do they move freely or seem to be dragging? If they seem to drag it could be the magnet as Russ suggested or the voice coil.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Big Dan R
    Big Dan R Posts: 131
    edited June 2003
    These drivers (3 of them which I think are the MW 6503's) are in the same cabinet of a pair of the original SRS model. I have a chance to buy this pair in "good condition" from someone 60 miles away for hopefully might be a damn good price. I will learn more when I go to audition them but wanted some up front advice.
    BDR
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Ah... the SDA's in your 'hood you were told of?

A couple of bad drivers should make an excellent bargaining point.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD