Power Conditioners

Options
trubluluc
trubluluc Posts: 2,067
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Guys-

My buddy over at GG called to say he just got in an open box Monster hts 5000 power conditioner.
They list at 599. I can get it for 229.
I currently use the hts2000 and it seems to work fine. But... I dig a deal, and thought I might pass the 2000 on to my Dad.
The 5000 has the cool blue light lit voltage meter and....is it just smoke and mirrors? or would it be worth the extra expense?
BTW I am also running a dedicated 20 amp line to my home theater system.

-luc
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Hi:

If you have the money to spare, go for it. If you don't need it you might sell it for a profit.

Gary
  • trubluluc
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Gary-

I decided to let it pass, because I really didn't need it and because with space as precious as it is in my audio rack, things have to do more than look cool to justify a place.

-luc
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Luc, can I get in contact with your friend to buy the 5000? My email is kn505@yahoo.com. Thanks.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Luc
    Your HTS 2000 has the stage 2 filter but the HTS 5000 has the stage 4, much more effective than the one you have, plus it has dedicated plugs for digital gears and analog gears separately. All built-in components are isolated and shielded. Yes, it worth every extra pennies to consider plus the cool looking voltage meter.:)
  • trubluluc
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I will call him today to see if it's still there.
    It went out on Sunday, and the guy brought it back on Monday. My buddy knew I was considering getting one, so he put a sold tag on it as soon as it came back. But it's been two days now since I told him to let 'er go.

I'll let you know.

-luc
  • trubluluc
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Man...now I've got rethink this.
    Well, first, I doubt that it's still there.
    But do you think even if I'm running a dedicated 20 amp service to my HT I would have sufficent noise to require more filtration?
    Second, after going to Monster's website, and seeing how freaking complicated the wiring was on the thing, it seemed like just one more link in the chain.
    Third, after going to "audio equipment reviews" and reading some of the posts there, it seemed like maybe it wasn't as great as its claims.

-luc
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited December 2001
    Options
    It seems to me that the last word in power products is PS Audio. Has anyone tried any of their products? The Power Plants have been unanimously declared as great products (often garnering product of the year awards), but they are pretty pricey. The product that interests me is the Ultimate Outlet. I've read that this thing approaches the performance of the Power Plants but at nearly $1000 less money, plus you can use it with any applifier, unlike the Power Plant (unless you spring for the $4000 one). Check it out.

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet (High Current)

Aaron
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2001
    Options
    i was checking these out the other day. seem to be very impressive, but pretty damn pricey too!!!
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I guess I got screwed on my 3500. It seems that it's the biggest
    POS that monster makes in their lineup. It choaks the life out of any amp hooked up to it. I just use it to protect the rest of my equiment. P.S. audio makes the best one for it's price. If you can afford the dam thing. Costs more than the average person's entire system.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I guess I got screwed on my 3500. It seems that it's the biggest
    POS that monster makes in their lineup. It choaks the life out of any amp hooked up to it.
    I have the 3500, WTF. It choaks your amps. How does that work? I have not noticed any choking. The Home Interior mag's use the hell out of them, even in hi-end set-ups. I am or was proud of mine. Hope this is only your amps. Later
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited December 2001
    Options
    These are the kinds of reasons that I don't trust Monster Power products. I think their line of power products are probably best suited for the receiver-toting home theater crowd. Your problem is one that seems to be fairly common when using amplifiers with power products. This is why the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet is so cool! You can hook anything to it without worrying about it limiting the power. These littles gems cost $299 or $399 depending on the model, and the $399 one supposedly delivers much of the performance of the Power Plant (the expensive one you refer to). I believe they also have a 30-day money back gurantee on all their products, so you can check them out.

Aaron
  • trubluluc
    edited December 2001
    Options
    kn505,

Checked with my friend yesterday,
    the 5000 went home with someone else.
    That solves the dilemma for me.

-luc