jeffeb3 Posts: 106
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Ns
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• mjmcg
    mjmcg Posts: 102
    edited July 2001
    Why would anyone serious about audio sit down to listen with lights on? You are using your ears, your eyes don't need to be working sending messages to your brain that WILL interfere with proper critical listening. If you're sitting down to listen to music and you have a magazine in your hand, or a tv on, or the lights on, or the old lady is doing dishes in the next room talking to you then I'm sorry, but you aren't SERIOUS, focused and concentrated on listening, you're dabbling.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2001
    Once you get up from your listening chair and step on your reading glasses a couple times, you will learn to tolerate the lights on Mike. One HAS to draw the line somewhere.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2001
    To avoid bombarding my senses with outside distractions.

I do leave two, soft red, 4watt, covered, night-lights on. One in each end of the 30' long room. They disappear when I close my eyes and allow me not to break my neck when I open them and want to move. I also have a flashlight nearby.
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited July 2001
    does anybody have one of those strobe lights? i think that would be cool to use.

scott:cool:
  • jeffeb3
    edited July 2001
    I may be different than all of you because i personally leave the lights on so i can read the lyrics of my new cd's
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2001
    When I take my shirt off it is way to bright, so I wear a white cotton shirt to slightly dim the light. Works great.

I have a farmer tan Ron :eek:

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • mjmcg
    edited July 2001
    so i can read the lyrics of my new cd's
    Why would you be doing this while listening? If you are reading, then you aren't listening. And if you're more worried about deciphering every last word in a song, then youaren't listening to the music. You are dabbling on the surface of what listening is all about. Save the lyric reading for the bathroom, put in a CD, find a comfortable reralistic volume, turn the freaking lights off and LISTEN for crying out loud!
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2001
    Originally posted by mjmcg
    Save the lyric reading for the bathroom, put in a CD, find a comfortable reralistic volume, turn the freaking lights off and LISTEN for crying out loud!

...but I'm SCARED of the dark!

Aaron
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited July 2001
    Oh, are we talking about listening to music? I had other plans with those lights dimmed.....

[marvin ****]bouwwww bouwwww bouwwww bweeeeeeeowwww[/marvin ****]

~JB
  • mjmcg
    edited July 2001
    Don't be afraid of the dark Aaron....be very afraid
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2001
    To a large extent, listening with the eyes closed simulates turning off the lights. I have my own hi-fi room, and you guys have been living alone too long.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • jeffeb3
    edited July 2001
    I'm still gonna listen to my system with the lights on. That's it!!
  • lbrenner
    lbrenner Posts: 33
    edited July 2001
    Oh oh... I see I've joined the brilliant (well illuminated) minority on this one. I listen with the lights on as they normally are, not terribly bright, just as when I watch a movie. Two points:

1. You have no idea how completely I can ignore the room when the music is right. The room is always there, always the same...

2. I can't step on my reading glasses because I wear them when listening. But have you ever stepped on a cat? A LOT of IM distortion there...
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2001
    I've heard that humans are not able to multi-task both hearing and vision simultaneously. So, if you want your brain to process the incoming signals from your ears at near 100% sampling rate... its important to not be doing anything with your eyes.
    You simply can not pay attention to both audio and video simultaneously - as your brain will be continually switching back and forth between the two stimuli.

Some people interpret this to mean that home theatre audio equipment is not as important as music equipment. Its probably true - to some extent.
  • mjmcg
    edited July 2001
    !!
    So, if you want your brain to process the incoming signals from your ears at near 100% sampling rate... its important to not be doing anything with your eyes.

BING freaking GO! You hit the nail so square it went right through the board my man!!