Stupid question? Dolby pro logic

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
This may be a stupid question but does anyone use Dolby pro logic to listen to standard CD's? Just wondering.
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2001
    Options
    for ambient purposes, I use the 5ch stereo option on my Denon receiver. I like it opposed to ProLogic as I feel that ProLogic feeds too much of the music through the center channel, just doesn't sound all that good. However, I would take ProLogic over any of the other DSP's I have heard.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I second that, DPL with stereo music is bad, way to much on the center, I have the new DPL II and it doesn't turn my crank either.

I am to old fashioned, I have the 5 channel stereo also and don't use it, same sound from all speakers is like noise to me, maybe for background music.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I use it for ambient noise for a party or if I am doing things around the house or whatever....

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Nope........2-Channel only.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • lbrenner
    lbrenner Posts: 33
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I don't like what DPL does with the center, either, but I like getting a little something from the surrounds. So I set the DPL in the receiver to phantom center, and that's pretty nice.

Since my Dolby Digital decoding is done in the DVD player, and just passed through via the 5.1 inputs, I can configure that separately. I really do like the center from DD, because generally movies seem to be mixed without sucking the stereo music overly into the center.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited December 2001
    Options
    i used dpl for the longest time for most of my music,until i bought a new receiver w/5ch.
    i will agree with the center getting a lot more than the rest but on some cd's it sounds good in dpl.
    most of the music i listen to is dj cont. mix albums so in dpl it was great ambiance, but 5ch does me good for any music
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2001
    Options
    2 channel, wether dedicated listening or just ambient music....
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I've been trying it recently and although I like some of the stuff it does it seems to rely a lot on the source material to determine how much is on the center. I like the idea of setting the center to wide. I'll give that a try.
    Thanks!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D