What's the best sound you've ever SEEN?

mikemokr
mikemokr Posts: 150
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
syn·es·the·sia also syn·aes·the·sia
n.
A condition in which one type of stimulation evokes the sensation of another, as when the hearing of a sound produces the visualization of a color.

OK kids, if you know what I'm talking about here (and it's one of those things where if you have to ask, well, never mind) ... what's the best sound you've ever seen?

Me, far and away it was side 1 of the Gang of Four LP "Songs of the Free" as experienced one night in the apartment I shared with four other folks in college in 1983. Conditions were such that the sound coming out of the speakers (don't know the make/model, just that they were a quite good floor-standing pair) was intensely visual, vividly colorful, extraordinarily high-definition. It sounded awesome, too, but man oh man how it LOOKED ... The other day on the radio I caught a snippet of the "hit" song from that album, "I Love A Man In A Uniform," and it put me right back there -- the term "flashback" is trite and overused but it's clear that memories like this are on a whole 'nother plane ...

Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" is an obvious contender (I'm using the Mobile Fidelity gold CD of this a reference recording as I buy and calibrate new HS/HT gear) but for me, "Songs of the Free" as I saw it that night is without peer. YOW.
Main HT (family room): Polk Monitor 7 (1987-original owner) (L/R) / CSi40 (C) / RTi38 (SL/SR) / SVS 20-39PC (sub), Outlaw 975 pre/pro / Outlaw 7075 amp, Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray, LG 42LM5800 teevee
2ch (family room): CRS+ (1987), Outlaw 1050 AVR, Denon DCM-420 CD
Kitchen satellite 2ch: Polk M3II, Topping TP-20 Tripath amp fed from 975 rec line out
Home office: Model 5 (1978-Danish Peerless), Lepai 2020A+ Tripath amp fed by laptop dock
Awaiting assignment: PSW202 (NIB) to be wired inline in home office rig; Monitor 5JR (1988), Model 4 (1983-US Peerless)
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited December 2001
    i had a cassette yes cassette of van halen's"diver down" album and no matter how meny times i played it it sounded perfect it must have been in and out of a tape deck a hundread times,but it sounded like a million dollers must have been some real good quality tape in 82.

scott:cool:
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited December 2001
    keoki a superstar journey and pink floyd pulse disc 2
    both these albums took me for a journey.
    eyes closed just riding the music to places in your mind that only music can take you :D
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2001
    What's the best sound you've ever SEEN?

is fantasia a cop-out for this thread???:)