Good TV - Bad TV

Options
The Darkhorse
The Darkhorse Posts: 101
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Ok, I've got a bit o' cash ($3000 or so) and I'm thinkin' of gettin' an HDTV and am in search of recommendations as to which ones to look at and which ones to avoid. Any opinions?

BTW right now I'm looking at the 65" Mitsubishi Platinum Plus.

The Darkhorse
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I've had a Mits 46" 16:9 for about 8 months now and it is beautiful. The picture is amazing. There is also a boat load of tweaking info on the Mits TVs over at the The SPot

Justin just landed a Toshiba 57"(?) if I remember correctly. I'm sure he'll chime in.

I think you'll be happy if you stay within the most popluar brands like Mits, Toshiba, Panasonic and so forth.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited December 2001
    Options
    My brain is on hold today. I'm sitting here staring at what has already been said, just zoning out.

Anyway, the 57" Toshiba is amazing. When watching a movie the other day, my friend said, "You know, this TV is almost too big!" But it's juuuuuuuuust right.

Besides Toshiba, I really like the picture on a Mitsu. I wanted to get one of those, but the price was right on my Tosh. I also considered a Pioneer 53", but when I went to Best Buy to look at them, I noticed that I couldn't see the picture very well from the side on the Pioneer. I couldn't believe how good the picture looked at an angle on the Toshiba. Since my living room space is pretty tight I decided on the Tosh.

Sorry if I'm just rambling on, ohhhh my head.

~JB
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Justin---Which Tosh did you get? and what was the total price??? Including shipping if you had any...
  • Ron-P
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Hey Justin, what's your viewing distance from your 57"?

For your headache.........drink 2 beers and post in the morning.

If...
  • -justin-
    edited December 2001
    Options
    A little over 10' away. I am sometimes overwhelmed by the image size. I have this bad habit of leaning forward because I could never see anything with our old TV. My *cough* ex-girlfriend keeps saying "It's ok babe, you can sit back now". And evey time I think, "Jesus, you're right -- this is awesome!" as I sink into the couch and absorb the colors.

So after sitting back, it adds another foot or so to the viewing distance.

~JB
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Gonna do the dirty deed right before Christmas? That's pretty bad. I must admit that I did end with a girl a week before Valentine's Day. But still; during the Holiday season...

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Ron-P
    edited December 2001
    Options
    That sounds just about right. My back row is 9' from the screen and the front is 6'. I like the front row.

If...
  • -justin-
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by I-SIG
    Gonna do the dirty deed right before Christmas? That's pretty bad. I must admit that I did end with a girl a week before Valentine's Day. But still; during the Holiday season...

Wes

No man, the deed has already been done months ago.

~JB
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Does she really say, "It's ok babe"?

Does she talk like that?
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2001
    Options
    ......not all women talk like the ones on the 900 lines.

I have a brother that went out with this REALLY dumb chick for like three years. He would break up with her at the end of November....hook up with her once at New Year's and collect the gift she had already bought him and then ditch her until after Valentines Day. How do some dudes pull that off?

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • The Darkhorse
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I am actually goning to be less than 8' away from the screen, so finding one that looks good up close but is stiil big is a difficult thing to do. I have an analog mitsu 50
    ' right now though and it looks fine from that close, so I figure an HD will still look good even if its that much bigger.

The Darkhorse
  • -justin-
    edited December 2001
    Options
    The picture looks awesome up close, don't get me wrong. I just can't abosorb that much in my field of view all at once. It's more relaxing to sit back a little more.

~JB
  • The Darkhorse
    edited December 2001
    Options
    cmon, need some more input here.

The Darkhorse
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I got a deal on a mits diamond 55".
    As RonP says...picture is awesome.
    If I hadn't gotten the deal I would have gone for the platinum plus 55".
    I think the picture looks brighter on the 55" compared to the 65". And 65 may not look that big in the showroom, but it looks like a billboard in most living rooms.
    I liked both the tosh and the mits, better than the Sony. They seemed brighter and less shadowy.
    Also mits has the no money down no interest no payment until jan.2003 deal on right now.

:cool:
    -luc
  • The Darkhorse
    edited December 2001
    Options
    boy, that was quick. Thanks.