speaker shopping: MagnePlanar vs. Martin Logan vs. Paradigm

Options
Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
After a week full of intense school work I decided that I needed a nice break so I went speaker shopping on Friday. My quest took me to two hi-fi stores: the upscale dealer, Audio Images, and the more typical dealer, Palmer Audio.

I went to Audio Images first. They have some of the craziest stuff I've ever seen like a pair of Revel Salon's and Martin Logan Prodigy's. Anyway, I told the salesman I wanted to look at some speakers in the $2000 range. He asked me if I had ever heard a planar speaker before, and I told him that all I've heard are the Carver Amazings. He said, "Forget them. One of my customers owns a pair, and they're just OK." I had to laugh to myself. First up he sets me in front of a pair of MagnePlanar MG1.6/QR speakers for $1675. Man are those things freakin' ugly looking! You'd think they could do something to make slightly more interesting looking than just a big, flat panel. Anyway, before the salesman would let me listen to them, he put in a CD of his own to make sure everything was properly set up. He moved the chair around to find the optimal listening position and changed the speaker positioning a bit as well. I was very impressed by such attention to detail, because I've never seen a hi-fi shop do that before. At most places you're lucky if you even get a chair.

So how did they sound? Freakin' amazing! They are so smooth and fluid, not harsh in any way. They have surprisingly strong bass, which I didn't expect from a planar speaker. The speakers disappear into a wall of sound quite nicely. Imaging? They image like nuts! When I listened to the "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves" theme on my Telarc CD, I was blown away by the imaging and spaciousness. Normally I'm used to hearing the instruments kind of bunch up, but this was not the case through the Maggies. There was separation between the instruments, and it was quite easy to decipher where an instrument or section was positioned. They also created a soundstage that had depth, something I certainly wasn't used to hearing. Perhaps the best part was their detail and resolution. In Robin Hood theme there's a bell solo. This has proven to be a very good test of a speaker's high frequency, specifically for harshness and detail. The separation and air between the notes was incredible. Even more impressive was the overhang and decay of each note. I've never heard such detail in this recording. Normally I'm used to hearing the notes sort of run together and cover each note's overhang and decay. The next song I listened to was "Weekend at Monaco" from the Rippingtons "Live in L.A." CD. It sounded so good it was emotional. I've seen these guys in concert, so I can relate. The often harsh-sounding piano solos were smooth and airy. Good, strong bass. All through the song I heard new things I hadn't heard before. Most striking was the sax player. I could hear him struggling to hit his notes during his solos with that sax "honk" sound. That's as good as I can describe it. It was like hearing the personality of the sax. This was amazing detail that I had never heard. The last song I listened to was "Crash" from the Dave Matthews Band's "Crash" CD. Here the Maggies provided more of the revealing detail, smoothness, separation, etc. In conclusion, I can't believe how good these speakers sound for only $1675. I didn't expect anywhere near this performance for that amount of money. There is a disclaimer to this, however. They were hooked up to a $4000 Classe amp/preamp combo and a $2200 CD player (Conrad Johnson, I think). After listening to these speakers I thoroughly agree with his comment about the Carver Amazings. The Maggies are a superior speaker in all areas except bass performance. You can't top four 12" woofers with a planar speaker.

After listening to those I moved on to a $3000 pair of Martin Logan Aeon's (I believe). I listened to these in a different room with different equipment, but I don't believe it was as good as the stuff used with the Maggies. I also didn't get as long or as good of a listen with these as I did the Maggies, so I can't say I can fully discuss their sound. Let me start off by saying that these sound totally different. They sounded so reserved they made the Maggies sound forward. However, this could have been due to the fact that the volume was set quite a bit lower for my first two test songs on the ML's compared to the listening level on the Maggies. I listened to the Rippingtons CD and really didn't feel one way or the other about them. Then I listened to the Robin Hood theme. Here it was very apparent that the ML's were pretty bass-shy with their single 8" woofer compared to the Maggies. However, I noticed even more detail and air during the bell solo. Impressive. For my last song, "Crash" by Dave Matthews, I turned the volume up to a level comparable to the Maggies. All I can say is, "Wow!" Dave Matthews was in the room, right between those speakers, with a spotlight on him, with a clarity that boggles the mind. It was nuts! The other amazing thing, which I think is why I originally found the ML's too be reserved, was how there was no extraneous background noise. The soundscape was pitch black. Dave was in between the speakers and the other instruments around him, and that's it. To conclude, the ML's are certainly the next step up from the Maggies in terms of resolution. I can't say I listened to them enough to know if I prefer their sound. However, my initial impression is that at $3000, they aren't twice the speaker that the Maggies are (though they look a hell of a lot better), and they will definitely require a subwoofer to supplement the weak bass.

After listening to those speakers, I moved on to Palmer Audio to listen to a pair of $2300 Paradigm Studio 100's. This was your typical audio shop. The Studio 100's flanked a pair of Studio 80's, and the system was positioned about 10' from the front counter of the store. That's a REALLY good way to show off the best speakers in the store. Then top it off they're using a cheap $250 Parasound preamp (according to the salesman) to which they can't find the remote, a 160W (I think) amp (which the salesman claims isn't nearly enough to do these speakers justice), and a cheap DVD player for the source!!! This setup was destined to suck, and it did, hardcore. I couldn't believe how bad it sucked! The Studio 100's sounded very congested and muddy, though they had reasonable bass. I only listened to parts of two of my three test CD's, and I couldn't take it anymore. I then talked to the owner and pretty much told him I was thoroughly unimpressed. He said they'd be getting some bigger Parasound amps in stock in a few weeks and I should stop in then. He then went on to tell me that he sold his $4000 pair of speakers to get a pair of the $2300 Studio 100's, because he thought they did more things right. Oops, guess I shouldn't have knocked the speakers that the owner has. Hahah. I really would like to hear those speakers in a proper configuration, because I know they're better than what I heard. Even so, I really have my doubts that they'll touch the Maggies.

After returning home I listened to my stereo for a little comparison. Boy did it suck by comparison! I probably should have never spoiled my ears like that. Now I'm ruined.....

To conclude this novel, I'm now a HUGE panel speaker fan! Particularly I'm very much into the Maggies, assuming I can get over their looks. They have unbelievable performance for the money. I'd like to get another listen in on those Martin Logan's, but I don't think they're nearly the value the Maggies are. As for the Studio 100's, I really can't pass judgment on them yet. I really wasn't in the market for a new pair of speakers, but after those amazing demos, I'm seriously considering it. It's all I could think about all weekend.

Aaron
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I told you.....

I would disagree with the comment about the Carver's. I think, hooked up to the same equipment the Carver's would not suffer by comparison.

The Paradigms are good speakers but not in the same class as the planars though..

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Aaron
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Did you listen to the 1.6's? I really didn't think that the Amazings were in the same league as them in terms of detail. Maybe if they were matched with the same components the Amazings would compare in the other categories I discussed before, but I still don't think they'd have the resolution.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I can't remember if it was the MG12's or the 1.6 that I listened to (getting old) but I know the other pair was the 3.6's.

I dunno, I brought the copy of "Round Up" on Telarc that I got from George so I had the same material. Hmmm, my thoughts that the Maggies may have an edge in definition but not to the point where I was like "WOW" at least in the setup I listened to, but I found them not even close in terms of bass. The William Tell Overature on the Amazings is just da ****. I just think the ribbons and the combination of the 12" woofers is hard to beat.

Of course, I could be talking out of my **** too.

Troy
  • Aaron
    edited December 2001
    Options
    The Amazings certainly have the edge in bass, I'll give you that. Of the three songs I listened to on the Maggies and ML's, I've listened to two of them on the Amazings, so I think I have a pretty good basis for comparison. Those 3.6's must sound incredible considering what the 1.6's sound like. The 1.6's got a glowing review from Stereophile, as did the 3.6's, I believe.

Aaron
  • Aaron
    edited December 2001
    Options
    The 1.6's and 3.6's were runners up for the Stereophile Product of the Year in loudspeakers in 1999 and 2000 respectively. Here's the glowing review on the 3.6's:

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?303

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Yes, the 3.6's are very cool. According to the propganda, the 3.6's use a true ribbon where the 1.6's use a quasi-ribbon. What that all means, I have no idea but the 3.6's are oh, so sweet. You could very well be right in your observations, I still think the Amazings are a hell of a speaker though.

Troy
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited December 2001
    Options
    i have heard the small magnepan mmg's with a jolida tube amp
    and i know what you are saying about the wide open sound it just seems to come from everywere.

scott:cool: