The Recipe Thread

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    This is mommy's recipe so credit goes to her. This stuff is unreal, i could eat the entire pie of it.

PIZZAGANIA

Crust:
    • 3 cups flour
    • 3 eggs
    • ¾ cup softened butter

Mix with fork, (I use my Kitchen Aid mixer with dough attachment). If necessary, add water or flour to get correct consistency. Knead for about 5 minutes on floured surface. Cover with a bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.

Filling:
    • 3 lbs. Ricotta
    • 5 eggs
    • 1 cup romano cheese grated
    • 1 lb. Procuitto cubed small
    • 1 lb. Imported ham cubed small
    • 1 lb. Munster cheese cubed small
    • fresh chopped parsley to taste
    • pinch of black pepper

Mix all these ingredients together.
    Next roll out dough. I only put a bottom crust. Fit the dough into at least a 9 by 13 pan or larger. Add the filling and brush the top with an egg/water mixture.

Bake in a 350-375 degree oven for 1 hour 15 minutes. Crust should be brown.

I tried this the other day and it was very good stuff. I made sure to go to Glorioso's, the Itallian food store down the street from me to pick up the meats and Itallian cheeses.

I firmly believe that ingredients play an important role in almost all recipes. Don't skimp!

Anyhow, thanks for the recipe. I really wish more people would share theirs. :)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited January 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »

I was going to contribute a while ago but when I went to write down some recipes, but I found that most of the stuff I make that people like isn't due to a creative recipe but more due to the skill in cooking it properly. Trying to relate that to words is difficult to say the least.

I'm a wizard on a BBQ grill, with my cast iron cookware or even on an open fire! All of it took practice.

I'll see if I can raid my mom's or my grandmother's recipe box and pull out some good ones.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2008
    That is true, if you don't know how to do things properly it'll come out wrong. Feel free to make a super long detailed recipe post if you feel inclined. At least one person here is likely to try it, and that's me. :)
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited January 2008
    Or better yet just invite us all over for BBQ!
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2008
    haha ;)

I'm making a Thai Curry Shrimp Pasta in the next day or two here. I'm completely pulling this recipe together on my own....well, I had a little help...There's a restaurant here in town that makes a Thai Curry pizza that's out of this world. I'm going to try to duplicate that with pasta and add shrimp to the mix. Going to try it with chicken as well if this turns out good. :cool:
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited January 2008
    Ok, you want some damn good wings that are off the beaten path? These are so good, they pave the path for all other wings to follow.

Sesame Seed Chicken Wings

1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/3 cup water
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons sesame, olive or peanut oil (I prefer peanut oil)
    4 green onions with tops, finely sliced
    1/2 medium onion, finely sliced
    4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds
    Dash of pepper
    2 1/2 lbs. chicken wings

1 - Take a med. to lg. mixing bowl and combine all of the ingredients except for the wings, mix well.

2 - Add washed and dry patted wings, mixing well

3 - pour everything into a gallon ziplock bag and marinade in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours (or overnight), turning occasionally. Allow chicken to get to room temperature (20-30 min.)

Or you can use the preferred method for step #3....

3 preferred - If you have a food Vac/sealer, pour everything into a bag big enough, vacuum and seal. It'll be ready in 30-40 minutes. Do not refrigerate with this method!

4 - Preheat oven at least 30 min. before placing wings in the oven @ 380 degrees

5 - discard marinade and place wings on a large cookie sheet or baking pan covered with parchment paper, skin side up.

6 - Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 380 degrees. Turn, bake at 395 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn, bake for 6 to 7 minutes at 425 degrees and enjoy the hell out of 'em!

If done right, the chicken will literally fall off the bone........Yummy!!!
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited January 2008
    Great I started my diet a month ago and now I find this thread. I've lost 17lbs so far and if I fall off the chuckwagon guess who I'm blaming. Maybe I can contribute some of my low cal. receipes if anyone is interested.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2008
    Go for it, Cubdog. Although, this next recipe could really get you off the diet wagon. :p;)

Thanks for the wing recipe! I'll give that a shot sometime. I never have ever tried to make homemade wings.

I just put this together tonight. Not terribly inventive on my part, but wow am I stuffed...best nachos I have ever had.

Nachos El Grande

Ingredients:

1 - Pound Angus ground beef
    1 - Taco seasoning pouch
    1 - 16 oz bag corn tortilla rounds chips
    1 - 8 oz Velveeta Mexican Cheese
    1 - 3 oz can diced green chiles
    1 - 16 oz can frijoles negros (Mexican black beans)
    1 large tomato
    1 medium onion
    2 ripe avacado
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 dash coarse kosher salt
    1 teaspoon Fresh ground black pepper

Optional Ingredients:

Sour cream
    Jalapeno peppers - diced

Brown ground beef over medium heat and drain fat. Mix in taco seasoning with the ground beef as directed on the package. Cube up the Velveeta cheese and mix into the ground beef and seasoning. Reduce heat and simmer stiring ocassionally. Make sure you don't burn the cheese on the bottom of the pan or you'll ruin everything.

Dice your tomato and onion and place each into a separate container. Open your can of green chiles and mix into your tomatoes.

Halve your avacados, remove and discard the pit, and spoon the contents of the avacados into a small mixing bowl. Mix in cumin, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and fresh ground black pepper. Stir well until the avacado are a spreadable consistency. Chunks of avacado are fine.

On a large plate put a heaping pile of chips down. Drain the can of beans and spread the beans evenly over your chips. Spoon your chile & tomato mixture evenly as well as the onions. Carefully pour your ground beef and cheese mixture over the top of the chips. Top with the avacado and sour cream (optional).

If you want to go even more overboard you can warm the tortilla chips in the onion just before putting all of the ingredients together.
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited February 2008
    OK heres the deal. I got a new grill today and have bought all kinds of meat. Some of the meat in particular is a rack of ribs. My question is what is the best temperature to cook the ribs? I plan to make a simple rub for the ribs and then cook them. I know not to use direct heat. They will be on the side of the grill with no heat. The other side will be producing the heat and smoke. I have some hickory wood chips I am going to soak and use to smoke the ribs. How long should they cook and at what temperature. I am thinking around 4 or 5 hours. Any suggestions.
  • rainman31
    rainman31 Posts: 76
    edited February 2008
    225 to 250 should be good. I smoke ribs several times a year.

7.2 Set Up
    Onkyo 805
    X-Box
    3DO
    PS3
    Velodyne DPS10 sub
    Polk Audio 2- RTI 12's
    Polk Audio CSI 5
    Polk Audio 4- FXI 5's
    Pronto 7500 LCD remote
    Gefen HD video 1080p scaler
    Mitsubishi TV 73927 1080p

Future purchase Rotel RMB 1095 200x5 THX
  • nikolas812
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the reply and Welcome to the Club.

I might give it a go tomorrow.
  • rainman31
    rainman31 Posts: 76
    edited February 2008
    If you plan on smoking for 5 hours I usually wrap my ribs in foil after a few hours and let them cook a couple more hours wrapped and they turn out pretty juicy.

7.2 Set Up
    Onkyo 805
    X-Box
    3DO
    PS3
    Velodyne DPS10 sub
    Polk Audio 2- RTI 12's
    Polk Audio CSI 5
    Polk Audio 4- FXI 5's
    Pronto 7500 LCD remote
    Gefen HD video 1080p scaler
    Mitsubishi TV 73927 1080p

Future purchase Rotel RMB 1095 200x5 THX
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I tried this the other day and it was very good stuff. I made sure to go to Glorioso's, the Itallian food store down the street from me to pick up the meats and Itallian cheeses.

I firmly believe that ingredients play an important role in almost all recipes. Don't skimp!

Cool! You made it! My mom goes for all the high end ingredients as well...no silly supermarket stuff. Unfortunately I don't eat it anymore as it's beyond bad for you. :D
  • nikolas812
    edited February 2008
    rainman31 wrote: »
    If you plan on smoking for 5 hours I usually wrap my ribs in foil after a few hours and let them cook a couple more hours wrapped and they turn out pretty juicy.

I seen that on the net too. I think I will wrap them in foil after a few hours like you said and see how it turns out.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2008
    Damn, I feel left out...the only recipe I know is " Honey, whats for dinner tonight " :confused:
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited February 2008
  • nikolas812
    edited February 2008
    Willow wrote: »

I knew there was another thread on this. Thanks for the link.
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    Cool! You made it! My mom goes for all the high end ingredients as well...no silly supermarket stuff. Unfortunately I don't eat it anymore as it's beyond bad for you. :D

Well, that's the truth. :p
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
  • mule
    mule Posts: 282
    edited February 2008
    I like simple...

Start with a Roux, throw in some provalone and jalapeno peppers. The heat of the pepper and the smokey flavor of the cheese is good with everything from steamed cauliflower to shrimp and bay scallop kabobs.
  • treitz3
    edited July 2008
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36528&highlight=recipe+thread

Look above for some more recipe's. Now I'm about to drop some more on y'all. Here goes.....

Peanut Butter banana pudding

1 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons all purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    3 cups milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
    1 [12 ounce box] vanilla wafers
    6 medium bananas, sliced
    1 thawed container [8 ounce] whipped topping
    1/2 cup unsalted, roasted peanuts

Combine sugar, flour and salt in a heavy saucepan. Add milk and eggs. Stir mixing well. Place saucepan over low heat stirring constantly [the bad part] for 25 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Spread about a 1/2 teaspoon peanut butter between two vanilla wafers forming a sandwich. repeat procedure with remaining vanilla wafers and peanut butter. Layer one third of the peanut butter/wafer sandwiches in the bottom of a three quart dish. Top with 1/3 of the sliced bananas. Pour 1/3 of custard over bananas. Repeat layers twice.

Cover and chill. Sprinkle with peanuts and whipped topping and enjoy!
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited July 2008
    Ugly Dip

2 packages Philadelphia Cream cheese
    1 jar salsa
    1 package of hot sausage

Cook the sausage and drain grease. Add cream cheese and salsa. Cook until all cheese is melted and everything is well blended. Serve in fondue dish or small crock pot with Frito's "Scoops" or your favorite chip. It just doesn't get more simple than this folk's! Excellent end result.

Super Bowl cheese dip

2 pounds Velveeta cheese
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 teaspoon garlic
    1/4 stick butter
    1/4 tablespoon chili powder
    1/4 tablespoon cheyenne pepper
    1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies, chopped [comes chopped already]
    1 jar [drained] pimentos
    2 to 3 chopped jalape
  • treitz3
    edited July 2008
    Tom's Awesome Spaghetti Sauce

Here’s a list of the ingredients…

Angel hair pasta, quartered [whatever is needed]
    3-4 jars of your favorite prepared spaghetti sauce flavors. [mix and match at will] Don't laugh, here's where the magic happens...
    1.5-2 lbs ground turkey
    2 pounds “hot” breakfast sausage [will not be hot when all ingredients are combined]
    1 to 1½ cups of sun dried tomatoes
    2 whole tomatoes, chopped loosely
    2 sticks of celery, finely sliced width-wise
    1½ large whole onions, yellow chopped
    2 medium yellow squash cut in half or quartered, lengthwise and then slivered
    2 cups of shitake*, Portobello or regular mushrooms, drained. Mix and match to preference
    3-4 tablespoons of dried oregano
    2 tablespoons of minced garlic
    2 teaspoons of Sea Salt
    1 teaspoon of garlic salt
    1 to 1¼ cups red wine
    2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
    3 bay leaves [remove before serving]
    1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
    1-2 tablespoons of dried parsley flakes
    1 minute of crushed black peppercorn in grinder [or whenever you get sore from grinding]
    2 teaspoons of Mediterranean [preferred] or regular basil leaves

Precook ground turkey [lightly salt the turkey] and hot sausage in separate pans, drain grease and throw in a BIG saucepan. Add all other ingredients into pot and cook on slightly higher than medium heat for about 4-5 hours. It will taste like **** until the flavors start to combine at about hour three. At that point, you will notice the onions just starting to get soft. When the onions are at about half soft and half texture, it is ready to serve. Stir about once every half hour or so.

Serve pasta with a generous serving of this sauce and add fresh or grated parmesan cheese. Fresh garlic bread or a healthy salad both are a wonderful accompaniment to this meal.

When cooking pasta, add a bit of oil [olive, peanut, vegetable...about the equivelent of 2-3 tablespoons] to the water to prevent the water from boiling over the edge. Also, do not put the heat up all of the way. Water will still boil on #8-9 setting on an electric or gas stove and will also help to keep spillovers in check. When adding the drained and rinsed pasta back into the pan, add about 3-4 spoonfuls of sauce into the spaghetti and stir to prevent it from burning to the bottom of the pan and also to keep it from clumping up or sticking to the pan.

When cooking without a lid, add water to compensate for evaporation and in some cases, 2 cups of water is to be expected. Red wine can be used as well, but keep in mind that if you are storing any of this for future recipes or meals, the more red wine that you use, the more the sauce will sweeten over time.

Save the jars that the base sauce came in to store leftovers after cooling. Half everything if this is too large a batch and if you want to substitute fresh spices for the dried, this will alter the taste and amount used. Refer to a cooking site for dried –vs- fresh for a conversion chart. The original recipe that I make has the maximum amount of ingredients listed above.

You can not screw this recipe up and when you are done serving……sit back and enjoy all of the compliments that are about to come. Then enjoy it yourself if you haven’t tasted too much while cooking!

*Added note: If you use Shitake mushrooms, do not use the stems of the mushrooms. Use only the caps.
  • treitz3
    edited July 2008
    The "No-Name" Snack

Take 1/4" slices of large portabello mushrooms and a small [4" to a 6"] seasoned cast iron skillet and add a couple of slices in it along with Worcestershire sauce, on medium heat caramelize the sauce onto the mushrooms. Each batch should only take about 4-5 minutes and is absolutely to die for when done right. The fresher the 'shroom, the better.

This is the preferred method, but you can substitute the pan for a nonstick to get the idea. Absolutely delectable! :D

All of the recipes in the above posts are tried and true recipes in my house. All of them are almost foolproof and absolutely delicious.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited July 2008
    Those 2 dips sound delicious but i don't think my stomach would agree....especially the super bowl one. I'd be on the toilet till next super bowl...
  • demaples
    demaples Posts: 266
    edited July 2008
    I like this thread and the recipies sound great. I'll have to think about some of mine, however like my ladyfriend says, I never cook something the same way twice. Just depends on my mood and what I find in the cabinet. I like to smoke ribs, or grill steaks too. I tend to use many different things to marinate and sautee like wine, liquor, dales seasoning, italian dressing, mojo. Whatever I cook usually has garlic added at one time or another. Thanks!

Hitachi 50" Plasma full HD 1080--Onkyo 805 AVR
    Rotel RMB-1077 amp--Polk LSic center
    Polk LSi25 fronts--Polk LSi 15 rears
    Genesis G-2800 sides--Polk PSW 650 sub
    APC H15 power conditioner--Netgear digital media player
    Napster external hardrive--Linksys Wireless G router
    Samsung DVD--Blue Jeans wires
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited July 2008
    "Ugly Dip" sounds damn tasty.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2008
    Stevie's kick-**** shrimp:

- get a pound or 2 of UNCOOKED shrimp, small shrimp--they are sweeter/more tender
    - put a half stick of butter in a saucepan and melt
    - cut up some purple onion, red and yellow bell pepper, and garlic
    - brown the above in the butter
    - squeeze some lime over the cleaned/rinsed/deviened shrimp
    - shake some Montreal steak seasoning (seasoning isle of the grocery store) on the shrimp, to taste
    - put shrimp in saucepan and cook until pink, leaving saucepan covered--don't over cook, they'll be tough if you do
    - serve over steamed rice with a Margarita
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2008
    Stevie's kick-**** Saint Louis style BBQ sauce:

- Bottle of Jack Daniels BBQ sauce (or whatever you prefer)
    - 2 tblspoons of brown sugar
    - 2 tblspoons of mustard
    - 1/2 cup of beer
    - Mix & brush on whatever, ribs/steak/burgers/poke chops
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2008
    Stevie's kick-****, Taco bell sucks, steak burritos:

1. Tortillas (the big ones, are we not men?)
    2. Couple thin steaks (chuck, sirloin, whatever BUT thin)
    3. Rosaritas refried beans
    4. Sharp shredded cheddar
    5. Sour cream
    6. Lettuce
    7. 1/4 cup chopped Onion and yellow bell pepper
    8. Olive oil

Slice steak into very narrow 1/4" strips. Brown onion/pepper in olive oil in a sauce pan. Add steak strips, let simmer while covered, turning frequently. Warm up refried beans in pot (add about 2 tablspns of water). Warm tortillas just before rolling (10-15 secs in microwave works perfect). When the steak is done:

Use the back side of a spoon and spread some sour cream on first, then do the same with the refried beans, add the steak strips, cheddar and lettuce. Fluff and fold. Pour and ice cold Corona, Dos equis, or Tecate and enjoy. The are awesome--add a little chili powder while simmering if you want to kick it up a bit.

NOTE: Even if you don't like onions/peppers, don't exclude them...they flavor the meat properly. Just use a fork to grab up the strips only if you don't like the texture of onion/pepper (I don't).