Speaker placement for corner screen

Options
jbe1020
jbe1020 Posts: 3
edited July 2001 in Technical/Setup
I just purchased the rm6600 set that comes with the 350 sub. The receiver is a Sony STR-G1ES, which is outdated by today's standards, but still works and sounds pretty good, though pro-logic only.

I am trying to figure the best placement for the front speakers and sub. The problem is the only real place for my Sony KV36XBR is in a corner. The room is 16.5'x22'. If I set the fronts at the normal position, the center would be to the left of the left front, which I assume screws up surround imaging. However, if I put the left front to the left of the center, it would have to go either right in the corner or on the adjacent wall, which also violates most recommended placement rules.

If anyone has a good recommendation for the left front, where should the right one go. By the way, I plan to mount these to the wall.

Also on the sub placement, can the sub go behind a chair or other furniture or should it have clear access to the listening area? How far from the wall should the rear of the sub be?

Thanks for all help.

JBE
Post edited by jbe1020 on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2001
    Options

f---TV|
    |...............|
    r...............f
    |...............|
    |...............r

What if you did something like that. Put the center under/on the TV and the two front speakers on the adjacent walls. Then you should be able to put one rear on the fall that faces the TV and the other on the same wall as the right front speaker. If you play around with your surround volume levels you should be able to achieve reasonable performance. However, I would look into moving your TV to a different location.

Aaron
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Hi:

Not a good ideal to mount front speakers to the wall. The speakers should be brought out into the listening room, this has to be done by trial and error placement, toe in the right and left about 45 degrees\ --- /. The tweeter should be at about ear level setting down, the distance to your listening area should be the same for lf, cent, and rf, to get a proper soundstage. The more toe in you have the narrower your soundstage. Depends on how wide of a listening area you want to cover. The distance between your L and R speaker should be 3/4 the distance to your listening area. The center should be in the center and at ear level also. What you want is to have a seamless soundstage from left to right. The Avia setup dvd from Polk is a very good program to use in setup. I have my system set up this way and it sounds great.

Hope this helps. A lot depends on what you like and you have to be the judge, but there are some basics you need to follow if you want good imaging, spaciousness, and soundstaging. Hey, this stuff is expensive, get the most out of it.

Gary
  • jbe1020
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Aaron and Gary: Thanks for your recommendations.

Even though the room is a reasonable size. There really are no large wall areas, with a large bay window on one side, a fireplace on another, French doors on another, a large walk-in opening on the other. There is no wall that allows for the TV to go in the middle. I could, though move the TV out of the corner some, and am considering this:

--F--TV
    F
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    R R
    | |

This is about as far to the right as I can place the TV and could put the LF speaker about 1 ft from the left wall. If I did that, do you agree with the RF and rear placements? Or do you have another recommendation? Regarding placing the fronts on the wall, I understand what Gary is saying about bringing them forward of the center and have read this many places. However, I maybe limited, for marital reasons, from placing them on stands and bringing them forward. If I wall mount, I'll use the fully adjustable type. Is there a very noticeable difference between putting them on the wall and pulling them forward? I'll look into the Avia disc.

Any recommendations on my sub quesiton?

Best Regards,
    Jeff
  • jbe1020
    edited July 2001
    Options
    That drawing didn't come out right. Let me try it again:

--F--TV
    F
    |.............................|
    |. ...........................|
    |...|Listening|.........|
    R............................R

Regards,
    Jeff
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Aaron:

Try and mount the center speaker as close to center, between L and R fronts, even if you have to mount it on the right top of tv. Having it way off center can really throw off your soundstage.

Try the speakers on the wall and out from the wall and you will see what I mean.

The rears seem ok. Make sure they are mounted high enough and aimed correctly.

Gary