sda signature system

scottdawg
scottdawg Posts: 166
edited April 2003 in Speakers
There is an ad in a local classified paper that has a pair of sda signature series systemii speakers for $400. I called the number and talked to the guys wife and of course she doesnt know anything about them but he will be home soon, I did ask her how tall they were and she measured them and they are 51" tall. Is this a deal or not? I have heard about the sda srs but dont know enough about them to know anything.
Thanks, Scott
Post edited by scottdawg on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited April 2003
    the 2.3 are 55 inches tall and 1.2 are of course taller.

scott
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited April 2003
    Where is local for you :D:D:D Perhaps I could swing by and grab them from under you! anh kidding...
    either way, SDA's in good shape can pull a mint. Have a look, it will more than likely be worth your while!!!
  • scottdawg
    edited April 2003
    Hes still not home hehe. waiting....
  • scottdawg
    edited April 2003
    I just talked to the guy they are the sda srs2 model. I am on my way to take a peak. He only live 5 minutes away. And said the price is negotiable.
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited April 2003
    NICE!!!!!
    I think he must mean SDA SRS 2.3... I am not completely sure but I do not think there was just a SDA SRS2... correct me if I am wrong. Man for $400 if you are getting what I think you are... you are one lucky man. Good luck, and let us all know how they looked and sounded!!
    Mike
  • scottdawg
    edited April 2003
    Well guys I am now the proud owner of a set of SDA Signature Reference System 2 speakers. The right speaker has minor scratches on the top the left has no scratches. All the components are working, and they sound fabulous! It turned out I know the guy and he sold them for $350. He is the original owner. They were sold to him for half price as demos from a dealer in Atlanta that was going out of business in the 80's. I have yet to put them through a solid workout due to getting home late and my son is asleep. I cant wait to get home from work tomorrow though. I was really pleased with the way my system has blossomed since adding a cal audio dx-1 cd player just recently. My JBL L100Ts sound as good as new. My amp is old, it is a Yamaha A700 integrated but really does good. Thats going to soon be my bedroom amp. I need an amp any suggestions to push these babies. If interested I will take and post pics. Scott
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited April 2003
    All I can say is WOW Scott....damn these Polk harpies, they always find us...good listening bud! :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited April 2003
    Scott,

Congrats!

Did you get the interconnect cable? As far as amps go, anything that is high current and will drive a 4 to 6 ohm load. Integrated or seperates would do better than a receiver. Post some pics of your new babies.

F1
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• scottdawg
    edited April 2003
    F1,
    Yes I did get the interconnect cable, this is the model with two blades not the blade pin config. I will do the pics tomorrow.
    And thanks for the congrats.
    Scott
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited April 2003
    Good news about the cable. Are these your first SDA's? If so, you're going to love them, the soundstage is awesome. One thing about amps I forgot to mention, make sure it is a common ground type, most are. If you did get a non-common ground type, you'd have to use a different interconnect cable called the AI-1.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited April 2003
    I WANT SOME SDA's! Gosh Darnit!!! Atleast some bookshelfs, I just want them to say ::Hey, I own some SDA's!:: *some WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA* ::SOME SDA'S MAN! DON'T YA KNOW?:: *noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo* ::Listen to em man!:: :::::::::::Turns on stereo::::::::::::: *WOW* lol! I am going to sleep, if you can't tell I need it! Congrats on the buy, and Ill take them off your hands for 180 shipped! lol!:lol:
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    I WANT SOME SDA's! Gosh Darnit!!! Atleast some bookshelfs, I just want them to say ::Hey, I own some SDA's!:: *some WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA* ::SOME SDA'S MAN! DON'T YA KNOW?:: *noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo* ::Listen to em man!:: :::::::::::Turns on stereo::::::::::::: *WOW* lol! I am going to sleep, if you can't tell I need it! Congrats on the buy, and Ill take them off your hands for 180 shipped! lol!:lol:

Take your prozac and crash little buddy!!!!:confused::confused:
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • scottdawg
    edited April 2003
    F1,
    These are my first SDA's. In fact they are my first working set of Polk's. I have a set of Monitor 7 series 2 that I picked up from the goodwill store for $30 about 2 months ago. One needs a MW6502 driver and Polk has none at this time, they expect them in very soon. I have always been happy with my JBL's from the same era as these SDA's. I just recently returned to audio life after some time due to lack of interest during a divorce. This is my hobby and I have just jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire it seems. I cant find anything relating to the common ground issue in my Yamaha owners manual, I did play them through it already and they sounded fine. I will consider that though in my quest for another amp.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3

Good god........this from the one that's building a TV stand that's nearly 6 feet off the ground........:rolleyes:
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited April 2003
    Great speakers. Your Yamaha amp is almost certainly a common ground model. Be wary of anything labeled dual mono or any amps with two power cords. Probably not common ground. As far as the AI-1 interface, I'm fairly sure that it can only be used on later model SDA's with the pin-blade interconnect. Even then, you need to check serial numbers for compatibility. Of course, you should be able to bi-amp in stereo mode. You should have two sets of inputs per cabinet. Not a bad route to go since you can tailor the amps to get the right high and low frequency characteristics. Just make sure the amps are equal in gain. Sounds like you're rediscovering audio after a divorce. I'm trying to keep it during one!

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• scottdawg
    edited April 2003
    Here they are in color.
  • scottdawg
    edited April 2003
    One at a time until I figure this out.
  • scottdawg
    edited April 2003
    Almost as pretty as a sexy naked woman.
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited April 2003
    Identical to the ones that I had..........I envy you, wish I had mine back.
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2003
    Welcome to the SDA club. You will be ruined for life when it comes to listening to other types of speakers!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited April 2003
    Well, I can see that in picture #3 that you do not have two sets of inputs. So much for bi-amping. Oh well, just buy one good high current model. I would recommend at least 200 WPC. Have fun!

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    Congrats SD, you're gonna love them. Play with their positioning some. Manual (if you got it with them) is a good place to start, but play...

Looking forward to your review and your decision on the all-important choice of the first selection you play on them.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited April 2003
    Congratulations:) Scott!!!

You might wanna see this...
  • scottdawg
    edited April 2003
    Tour2,
    At this time the review I can give is that these speakers are awesome. I can only compare them with my JBL L100T's which are very close in many ways, however the JBl's have not been reconnected since I brought these in. I feel the Sda's are limited with the amp I have. The sda's require more volume. The bass is powerful and clean, highs are not too high and pleasant. The first selection was Stevie Ray Vaughn's rendition of Little Wing, I heard rips in that song that I never heard before, you can even hear him ripping from chord to chord when hes blazin. Sting sounds awesome as well as the Allman Brothers Band. My taste for music is vast and I have been burning cd's like crazy the past couple of days, but I dont really like the quality of alot of stuff from sites like Kazza and winmx. I have alot of work to do yet as I feel that is part of this hobby, such as room improvements, new amp/preamp,new cabling etc. But for now I will enjoy. I have no manual but I am interested, I will start looking around soon.

Har,
    Thanks a bunch, I remember seeing these in the 80's that has been saved to my drive. Thanks
    Scott
    Thanks a bunch for that
  • madmax
    edited April 2003
    Since you don't have a manual I'll throw in a few setup tips. Keep the speakers at least 3 feet from side walls. Leave at least 4 feet between left and right speakers. Make sure the speakers are facing forward (not tilting in to the center at all, exactly straight). Make a triange between you and the two speakers. For example, if the speakers are 5 feet apart then the best listening distance is 5 feet in front of the speakers (in the center of course). Even if you cannot leave them in this orientation at least try it so you know what they are capable of. Good luck!
    madmax

• har_navalta
    edited April 2003
    Do you want the Specs also? for SRS 2's.

Har
  • madmax
    edited April 2003
    I bet you could get a copy of the original manual from someone here. It could be useful. Sorry but I don't have that particular one. Maybe you could find it on the "McG. Bros. SDA Page".
    madmax

• har_navalta
    edited April 2003
    Here's the specs for SDA SRS 2

Driver Complement : Two 1 inch Polk SL2000 Silver Coil
    Dome Tweeters
    Four 6 1/2 inch Polk Tri-laminate
    polymer bass midrange drivers (MW6509)
    One 15 inch planar fluid -coupled sub-
    woofer
    Size Inches 50H x 20 11/16W x 12 11/32D
    Shipping Weight 142lbs
    Frequency Response 12Hz-26,000Hz
    Amplication 10-750watts per channel
    Crossover Frequency 45Hz and 2Hz
    Nominal Impedance 4ohms
    Minimum Output Level 123dB
    Efficiency 92dB

SDA SRS 2
    AudioVideo Grand Prix Winner

"They truly represent a breakthrough" Rolling Stone Magazine

Enjoy,
    Har
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2003
    Scott,
    Call Ken or Lauren at Polk CS. They'll mail you a copy of the manual free of charge. While you're at it ask for a copy of the SDA's trouble shooting guide too. You'll likely never need it, but it's a good reference to have on hand.

"Little Wing"... good choice there... :)

EDIT: I went looking for an old thread on great SDA music tracks, stuff that really impresses with the SDA effect, but came up empty. Stuff like "Money" from DSOTM or Zep's "Whole Lotta Love"

What amp do you have? We can recommend suitable upgrades for future reference. Always love to help others send money on audio. Just ask polkatese. :D

Also if you’re ever in the mood to take care of those scratches, F1 is da man to guide you.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD