New To Club Polk

Options
rayslifecycle
rayslifecycle Posts: 511
edited May 2008 in Vintage Speakers
Hi Everyone

I am new to club polk. Recently I have put together a system utilizing some classic polk speakers. I live in a small condo in Betehsda Md and have tried a couple of things to remove room vibrations to allow louder listenning with fewer neighbor complaints.

Check out my showcase:
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=88673

I listed what I think the models are, but am not sure if they are correct. If anyone wants to correct me, please do.

Also - If anyone wants to suggest upgrades or mods to the speakers or the equipment, I am all ears and eager to try some new things.

My big question is: Will the interconnect (that I currently do not own) help or hurt the 5.1 sound coming from the rear SDAs.
Post edited by rayslifecycle on

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited May 2008
    Options
    My suggestion would be to obtain, or build an interconnect for the SDAs, then use them as your front speakers. You will have much better imaging and a wider sound stage from the SDAs compared to the Monitor 10. Although, you will likely have to replace the tweeters (with the new RD0194 silk domes from Polk) on the SDAs to get the smoothness of the Peerless tweeters that are in your Monitor 10. Sell the Monitor 10 to finance the new tweeters. Find a pair of Monitor 5 or 5Jr for your rear speakers.

Oh yeah, I'd only use 1 sub driven directly from your receiver.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited May 2008
    Options
    My fiance would KILL me if my place looked like your; speakers everywhere and I love it.

I replaced the components in the x-overs in my CRS+ and modified them to become SRS 4.1TLs using the SL300 tweeter. I then upgraded them to the silk dome tweeter and built a custom pin-blade IC for them. What happened to your IC?
  • rayslifecycle
    rayslifecycle Posts: 511
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Thanks to billbillw and zingo for responding

I will take your recommendations into consideration as I journey down the road to audio bliss......

My fiancee is really cool to let me get crazy with the speakers - she has noticed the better quality sound and is happy to let me be happy in our little place.

I only found out that these speakers were supposed to have an interconnect cable after finding Club Polk a month ago. It wasn't with them when I got them.

First Project - Build an interconnect cable..........

I will also go back and look into using the LFE sub out - upon getting this crazy reciever, I wasn't successful at getting the speakers to "mesh" in my first attempts. There were a lot of cancelled frequencies while other frequencies were amplified - It just didn't seem comfortable.......but I will try again......

Thanks again - you guys rock
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk. Like suggested move the Sda Crs+ to the front. You might want to give them a little more space apart or your sweet spot will be about 3 feet. Good to have another MD Polkie.

Jim
  • dcmeigs
    dcmeigs Posts: 707
    edited May 2008
    Options
    First Project - Build an interconnect cable..........

When I first joined this forum, the first act of kindness bestowed upon me was a link to a source for the interconnect plugs. It cost about 3 or 4 bucks. I can't for the life of me remember where I purchased it nor can I find the post. I suspect that if you ask, someone else will have that info for you.
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
  • Ivorytooth
    Ivorytooth Posts: 14
    edited May 2008
    Options