Learning remote

jcaut
jcaut Posts: 1,849
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I'm thinking of trying to find a nice but simple, learning remote for my in-laws for Christmas. Anyone have any suggestions about what to get or where to get it? I don't need a touchscreen, or anything too extravagant. Thanks.

Jason.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2001
    I just bought a Radio Shack model # 15-2103. 5-in-one learning, excellent remote, lighted and was only $19.95. Perfect if you do not want anything over extravagent but gets the job done.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    i use an AVR producer 8. it retails for around $80. it has a backlit LCD display screen, and tons of learning functions. the nicest things about this remote it that it has a theater button, which you customize to what components you want to control the sound/channel/play/stop/volume, etc. and they can all be differnet components all under the theater command. this basically makes it easy, cause once it's programmed, all your normal functions are on, no switching to tuner for volume, then to tv to change the channel, and vcr/dvd to pause a movie. nice feature!!! highly reccomended:)
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2001
    How easy/difficult is it to program these things?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    they are pretty easy, just a bit time consuming. the time you put into it is WELL worth it! i probably spent an afternoon programming all of my remotes/functions into the producer 8. atfer that, it is just easy sailing.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited November 2001
    Thanks for the information. I'll check out the one at Radio Shack first. Where would I look for the Producer 8?

As far as the difficulty level to program these things: The only ones I've had any experience with are the ones that came with a Sony receiver I had, and the one that came with my Denon receiver I have now. I had a little trouble figuring out the Sony, initially. Once I got the hang of it, it was easy.

Can't be more complicated than trying to work 3 remotes, just to watch TV.
  • juice21
    edited November 2001
    they use to carry this at CC, i haven't seen them there in awhile though. there's on on ebay now @ $20.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1302780872
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited November 2001
    I was gonna check out the Pronto Neo but have read some bad things about it. Anyone got a Neo? Comments on it?
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited December 2001
    Check out the Home Theater Master MX-500 available from rrdeals.com for $132 inc/shipping. It totally replaced 5 of my remotes. Real easy to teach and program. IMO well worth the price for the serious HT enthusiast or the average listener. Shouldn't be difficult for the in-laws to use at all.