Video screens in headrests

MSALLA
MSALLA Posts: 1,602
edited April 2008 in Custom Fabrication
I want to install video screens in the back of my headrests in my '97 expedition to keep the kids quite on long rides.
Dose anyone know of a site to get directions on how to do this? Or has anyone done this defore. Running the wires seems like no problem but mounting the screens is giving me some mental blocks.
Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
Yamaha RX-V2500
(2) Outlaw 200
Adcom GFA 555
Sony BDP300
Denon 2900 DVD
Lsi9's mains
Lsi7's rear
Lsic center
12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
Harmony 880
Post edited by MSALLA on

Comments

• ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited August 2007
    you can buy them pre-fabricated for your ride, but i assume you already know it will cost you around a grand each..that's why you want to do it yourself? im pretty sure you just need a video cable from each screen to a dvd player in the car. you could use the speaker system to get your sound. i've never seen one done by hand, but im sure it would be as simple as gutting the back of the headrest (just enough to fit the lcd) and mount it using a bracket of some kind.
    sorry, that's all i know on that subject, perhaps cory could interject?
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited August 2007
    Nah, there are shops in center city Philly where you can get the pre-fabbed ones for about $400 each. Granted, the screens are like Sharp AQUOS LCD's or anything but for the kids in the backseat, it doesn't really matter.

Actually, here's a place that you can get them cheap. Of course you'll need tuners and other source units for it.

http://www.carmedia1.com/index1.html

I've bought from those guys before. The prices area real, the stuff is new unless it's listed as refurbs and I haven't had any problems with them. They aren't the only ones to sell the headrest monitors either.

I know there are instructions to do it yourself and you need bracketry kits to do it right but I have to do some searching. Google.com is you're friend in that respect.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited August 2007
    The headrests are not the removable type on my truck. The hole back of the seat is one piece.So I can't just swap out headrests.
    Jstas,thanks for the link. I'm Google bound.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Bubba -NJ
    Bubba -NJ Posts: 45
    edited November 2007
    Just an idea off the top of me head , if you can't find any how to info , you might want to buy the headrests and just remove the bracketry and monitors and install in your seats . Good luck !
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited November 2007
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • discopigg
    discopigg Posts: 27
    edited April 2008
    as far as i know you can get some prefab ones from lots of auto trimmers.. i don't know about where you are but out here in oz there's a place called blackmans that i used to deal with for work. All you had to do with them was take in your current headrests and your lcds and they'd do the rest for about $300 for 2 headrests. The wiring is still left up to you but that usually won't be too complicated..