they say it's a recession...

Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
So how come I'm hemorrhaging money into the economy on a constant basis: DVDs, gas in the car, food bills, household bills, entertainment expenses, eating out...

I'm personally funding the country's recovery it seems.

Is anyone else a "frightened consumer" this holiday season?

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited November 2001
    i blew almost $2100 at best buy on friday morning for a new laptop and some movies.

i don't know about gas prices in baltimore, but here in metro atlanta i get my unleaded for $.80 a gallon. combine that with a little car that gets almost 40 miles per gallon, you save a lot of money.

are we supporting the economy? of course, but there's nothing to be frightened of. everybody's always blowing money this time of year... it's totally normal.

joe :D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    ..to do my part to revive the economy but Wendi just won't let me near the checkbook.....

If there is a recession, tell that to the gazillion ****'s down at the mall....

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    in the past month alone i've bought my 800's, 35's and 25's. spent a few k on things around the house too! come to think of it, i think i've spent more in the past 2 months than any other this year. me, micah, and mjk - rebuilding america!:D
  • ncstatesman
    ncstatesman Posts: 145
    edited November 2001
    well, I helped the world economy as follows:

US and Mexican economy by buying the X-Box and 7600 spkrs & 650 sub and then I helped the Japanese & Malaysian economy by buying the Onkyo 898

- all told +$2800 and this doesn't include the video games, DVD's and Monster audio, video, and speaker cables I bought (not sure where these are made)
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2001
    See what I'm saying? Where's this recession? I'm not recessing. I'm spending, dammit! I can't stop! Make me STOP! HELLLLPPP!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2001
    We have no Stink'n recession.

In the last 2 months I have droped:

$4,300 on a front patio deck
    $21,000 on a Toyota Sienna
    $125 on DVDs
    $485 on patio furniture
    $240 on landscaping (just getting started)

...and who knows what other misc. ****.

Recession my ****!

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited November 2001
    Cheap gas can't be beat down here in ATL. I think we're something like $.40 below the Nat'l average.

I'm doing my part too. I've bought 2 pistols, some RT55i's, AQ interconnect and speaker wires, plus the assload I dropped for tutition and books. Tech doesn't seem so cheap when you drop $500+ on books.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Where was all that cash when I was in college??

Troy
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited November 2001
    I have a co-op job with the largest power producer in North America. And, speaking of recessions, working for the power company is starting to look real good right about now, and in the next year or so.

Wes:cool:
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    I'm just hackin' on ya...

job security is a good thing.

Troy
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited November 2001
    The recession is in the Silicon Valley. I can now get anywhere in the San Francisco Bay area in half the time. I have seen many friends in the Datacomm industry loose their jobs. I am one of the lucky ones to have survived. I can see it around me, but I have not changed my lifestyle, I just keep spending money and it seems to be on Polk speakers.

Gas prices out here are still around $1.55-1.64/gallon.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    damn, pricy gas, i pay .98. it was down to .88 two weeks ago. not to rub it in or anyhting, jsut the cheapest it's been in years!!!
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited November 2001
    gas down here is about a buck even at the cheap places--circle K, murphy USA, diamond shamrock. about $1.10 at texaco, exxon, shell, etc. i still spend a shitload though. my truck only gets around 15 miles to the gallon. if we're in a recession, how come i and it seems alot of others are broke?
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • doorbell
    doorbell Posts: 30
    edited November 2001
    Ya, me too. I've dropped 2K in the last 2 months and we are in a recession, nah, I dont think so. This is Ohio and gas is $1.14 and holy moley, gas at .88!?? Wow...whats next??:p
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2001
    I'm closing on a house refinance tomorrow. I'll probably work some overtime this weekend. And that's for a chemical manufacturer (BASF) that makes car parts. We're swamped. I think once we get past this snowball effect things will be booming. I also think too many companies are using this so-called recession as an excuse to cut overhead, get tax breaks, etc. They then turn around and re-invest and boost their own coffers. It just takes time.

Gas around $1.09.99/gal. I hate that damn extra .99 just on principal.
    Make it Funky! :)