DVD player as CD source?

infinitiqx4
infinitiqx4 Posts: 80
edited March 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Any reason not to use a good DVD player as a CD source? Are cd players or changers better in any way?
Post edited by infinitiqx4 on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    No problem at all. I use my Cal Audio CL-20 for both. A good tranport is a good transport... If you would prefer a different dac then buy a dac specifically for cd's.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2003
    I don't see any reason not to use a dvd player for cd playback.I do it and I love it.I own the Pioneer Elite dv47a and I like the DAC's in it.Good sounding player.I even perfer it over my cd player which is also Pioneer Elite in the PDF-19.The only advantage over the 2 is the cd player is a mega changer so my lazy **** don't have to get off the recliner to change disc's.
    If you have no cd player in your system, here's a cool trick so you don't have to fool around with the DSP's, run a analog run to the cd input from the dvd player,and leave the digital output to dvd.Now you can use 2 different inputs.....it's cool.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2003
    I've come to the conclusion that you should get a really good receiver or pre/pro/amp and you can skimp out a little on the DVD player (if you are just going to play music).

Reason being, just run the digital output of the DVD player to your receiver, and use the DACs there. Digital is digital till it's converted ;)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • setzer808
    setzer808 Posts: 173
    edited March 2003
    Is it true that (as far as reason goes) any player that can send its data as a digital stream to a reciever for decoding will provide identical results?

I ask this beause I am using a cheap DVD player for my CD transport right now, but am sending it via my Digital Coax cable to be decoded in my Yamaha reciever. Would buying a top-dollar DVD/CD player and connecting it the same way change my sound any realistic amount?
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
    Polk PSW-350 Sub -in storage.
    Yamaha RX-V681 A/V Reciever
    Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Player
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2003
    Nope, not really.

The only perceivable advantage would be error correction or a better transport. But the advantage would be barely audible, if at all.

IMO :)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • setzer808
    setzer808 Posts: 173
    edited March 2003
    Thanks, glad to hear that. Now I can spend my money on other parts of my system.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
    Polk PSW-350 Sub -in storage.
    Yamaha RX-V681 A/V Reciever
    Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Player