These Effin Tweeters !will! !die!

MxStYlEpOlKmAn
MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
edited March 2003 in Troubleshooting
IM GETTING TIRED OF THIS MESS MAN! THE MAIN TWEETERS! OOOOOOONLY THE MAINS!!!!!!!!!NO MATTER THE VOLUME! HAVE THIS EFFIN STATIC MAN! I only hear this static when my ear is facing the speaker, if I am facing the tweeter I do not hear it. Does neone else have this problem? And yeah Russ, I tried that unplug the speaker, beat it up, and throw them away.....didnt quite work well......nebody else got ne suggestions?

Let me add....this static dosnt effect the quality of the music, what so ever. As soon as music plays - UNLES YOUR EAR IS FACING THE SPEAKER - you never really hear it again, and if your ear is facing the speaker it is only when the music is in a part with only vocals and such.

Let me add on...It is REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY bad during dvd's. it is moderate in CD's. Its technically not there really in VCR mode. In different modes, its different loudness of static - im guessing its a partial receiver problem.....no?
Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
I promised myself
No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
Damn you all! - ATC
Post edited by MxStYlEpOlKmAn on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Sid,
    Do you hear it when listening to FM tuner (internal to the Yammie, yes?). If not, it could be your interconnects’ terminations are dirty. Making and breaking the connections at both ends a few times will clean them up. Try the DVD interconnect first since it is the worst and if it helps it, do the others.
    If this ain’t it, let us know and we’ll go from there…
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited February 2003
    Insomnia Sid - haha....

My radio isnt plugged up, never has been...el i dont even know where the antenna is....lol! Ill try the unplugging and repluggin afta skool. Altho, the weird thing is....the mains are the only ones that produce this static...the surrounds and center are clear. I know it isn't the polk's...because when I had the KLH's plugged up in Main 2, the KLH tweets did the same. Ohh well, I'll try the unpluggin and repluggin afta skool and report back with my findings....all I can say is....I cant wait to go elite with some adcom amps....lol
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited March 2003
    It sounds like a gounding problem (loose wire/bad connection)...check all your cables (especially the coax cable from your wall to the TV...make sure it is grounded)
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by BeginnersLuck
    It sounds like a gounding problem (loose wire/bad connection)...check all your cables (especially the coax cable from your wall to the TV...make sure it is grounded)

I have a question. I am not meaning to be sarcastic or rude. But wtf does the Cord that goes to my VCR, then is transferred to my TV have to do with the sound that comes from the DVD player and CD Player? That personally leaves me grounded and VERY confused. I am hoping when I get this new receiver that this problem will vanish. I know it isnt a connection flaw because I have hooked my system up in several different rooms and had the same problem.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BeginnersLuck
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3

I have a question. I am not meaning to be sarcastic or rude. But wtf does the Cord that goes to my VCR, then is transferred to my TV have to do with the sound that comes from the DVD player and CD Player? That personally leaves me grounded and VERY confused. I am hoping when I get this new receiver that this problem will vanish. I know it isnt a connection flaw because I have hooked my system up in several different rooms and had the same problem.

Answer...Right from "Outlaws Owner's Manual"
    A Few Words About Hum and Noise
    Audible hum, or a discernable low frequency noise, is one of the most common problems in audio/video systems. This hum, which may be present even when the volume is at a low level or when the power is off, is usually caused by a problem known as a “ground loop”. A ground loop occurs when there
    is a difference in ground voltages between two or more components that are connected electrically. This, in turn, creates multiple current paths and causes the low-level noise, or hum.
    The growing sophistication of home theater systems, and the increased number of components used to create these systems has dramatically increased the potential for the possibility of ground loops. While it is natural to suspect that
    the components in your system are the cause of the hum, in many cases the cause may be due to other conditions. In particular, cable TV connections from outside the house have become a major source of hum. In most cases, one of the following suggestions should help you to solve a
    hum problem in your system. Please try these steps in the sequence shown, proceeding from one step to the next if the prior suggestion does not eliminate the problem. Potential Ground Loops in a Complex A/V System.

Suggestion #1: To determine if a cable TV connection is responsible for the hum, first turn all components off. Disconnect the cable TV feed to your system at the first place where it connects to your components. Alternatively, disconnect the cable TV wire where it is connected at the wall outlet. Turn your system back on, and listen if the hum has disappeared. If removing the cable TV feed has eliminated the hum, you will need to insert a Ground Loop Isolator before reconnecting the cable TV feed, or contact your cable TV operator to see if they can better isolate your cable feed.

Suggestion #2: Turn off all components in your system, and then disconnect the input cables at the amplifier. Turn the amplifier back on, and see if the hum is still present. If the hum disappears, the fault may be in the input cables used. Try replacing them with cables that have better shielding, and make certain that the input cables are not running on top of any AC power cords. Change the cables one at a time to determine if one, or all cables is responsive. If the hum disappears when the input cables are disconnected, but returns after the cables are changed and the system re-connected, the problem may be caused by your processor,
    receiver or preamplifier.

Suggestion #3: Poor grounding of the electrical system in your home may also cause ground loop problems, particularly when there are multiple components with three prong, grounded, power cords. Try unplugging these components one at a time, and see if one or all of them is causing the problem. The ultimate solution to this type of problem is to re-wire your house with an isolated, star-type grounding configuration. We recognize, however, that this may be impractical
    and expensive. In some cases, the use of an approved AC Power Isolation Transformer of sufficient capacity may solve this problem.

Suggestion #4:
    Faulty earth grounds may also cause hum in your home’s electrical system. In the past, cold water pipes were often used for the earth ground, so it is important to make sure that your ground connection is still valid and has not become loose or corroded. The cold water pipe method may no longer be valid in some locations due to requirements that the water meter be isolated from the water mains with a length of PVC pipe, thus interrupting the ground circuit. The safest, and most reliable, approach may be to provide your own ground. This can be accomplished by having a licensed electrician drive at least five feet of copper-jacketed steel grounding rod into the earth, and using that for your grounding connection.

Suggestion #5:
    If you have hum in your video display device (bars that roll up through image at 12-14 second intervals), this may be related to hum you also experience in your audio system. The previous suggestion tips may help with this also. If not, try isolating the ground in the projectors video signal cable with a base-band
    video isolation transformer, such as the Jensen VB-1BB.

And that is how a simple cable comming in to your VCR or TV has everything to do with induced hum and noise in your system...if you need a link let me know. The manual also has a very nice illustration.
    TWFTPQ
  • BeginnersLuck
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3

And next time, before you "be sarcastic or rude" at least know "wtf" your talking about as you would put it in your own terms...

Please don't try to make me look bad because you are ignorant and uniformed...next time, simply ask how it affects perfromance...no need to add "wtf" to you post...I was only tring to help!
    TWFTPQ
  • VR3
    edited March 2003

And next time, before you "be sarcastic or rude" at least know "wtf" your talking about as you would put it in your own terms...

Please don't try to make me look bad because you are ignorant and uniformed...next time, simply ask how it affects perfromance...no need to add "wtf" to you post...I was only tring to help!

LOL, Sorry bout that. Just the way I talk. Take no offense in it. I am just simply how this will affect it. No rudeness was intended, as I stated before. So how does this affect it? Or what is grouding? Sorry if I offended you and I am not trying to make you look bad. NVM, didnt see the above post. Thank you
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited March 2003
    Nice read. The only thing I don't understand if that is the problem is why the sound only comes out of the Main speakers. The center, surrounds are quiet. None of that static mess. It dosn't matter which main terminals I plug them in at, it makes the noise. If I switch the surrounds to the mains and the mains to the surrounds, the surrounds that were switched to the mains then have the noise. I am getting a new receiver soon, if this don't solve the problem; I will post back. Thanks for the information. And again, I did not mean to be rude, that is simply how I talk (very sarcasticly).
  • BeginnersLuck
    edited March 2003
    It's ok, I overreacted, yesterday was a bad day for me....I apologize as well.

Anyway, that seems to be a strange problem. The good news is that your speakers sound fine (no tweeter problems). Let me know if the new receiver fixes the problem. I'm curious as well.
    Does you receiver have a B terminal? If it does, maybe you could try hooking the mains up to the B terminal and see if the problem still persists...just a thought!

-Gary
    TWFTPQ
  • VR3
    edited March 2003
    It's ok, I overreacted, yesterday was a bad day for me....I apologize as well.

Anyway, that seems to be a strange problem. The good news is that your speakers sound fine (no tweeter problems). Let me know if the new receiver fixes the problem. I'm curious as well.
    Does you receiver have a B terminal? If it does, maybe you could try hooking the mains up to the B terminal and see if the problem still persists...just a thought!

-Gary

Well, about 3 months or so ago I had some KLH 900b's hooked up in the B terminals, and the same problem persisted. I am guessing it is just the main amps. I will post back when I get the new receiver.
    -MX-
  • VR3
    edited March 2003
    New receiver, no more static! :cool:
  • BeginnersLuck
    edited March 2003
    Cool. How old was the receiver that crapped out on you?
    TWFTPQ
  • VR3
    edited March 2003
    Cool. How old was the receiver that crapped out on you?

7 months, no later.