stupid LSi question

Options
Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Look at the picture below. Do you see anything odd about it? I do. Why does the wood veneer stop two thirds of the way up the tower? Did one of those Polk employees down yonder drink one too many Corona's and put the LSi9 veneer on the LSi15? Is Polk being cheap? Are you tired of me asking you questions? This has been bugging me for awhile, so I thought I'd share my burden with the group. Thanks for the group therapy. :D

Aaron

lsi15.jpg
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    Options
    but you are correct, that does look kind of odd....

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I think it looks kinda good myself ;)

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited November 2001
    Options
    i think it looks sort of cool... for some reason.

joe :D
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Odd? These are most eagerly awaited Polk speakers in years. Odd? Actually, they really look pretty stellar, with the wood panels offsetting the gloss black veneer in a very keen way. Wait till you see them in person.

The bookshelf speakers also have the wood panels, with veneer tops and bottoms.

They look really great. You'll see.

Odd? You guys are nuts.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Steve@3dai
    edited November 2001
    Options
    If everything goes "according to plan" then I'll be getting a pair of LSi9's and a LSiC. Then use my current R10s (oldie but goodie) for rear surrounds. All powered by a Kenwood Sovereign 5900 amp. Don't want a sub at the moment because my apartment neighbors wouldn't take to kindly to that ;)

Oh, don't forget the Samsung SLK407W 40" TFT-LCD 16:9 TV :)

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Crimony, all that in an apartment?!

Time to move.

Please keep us all -- especially me -- informed about your LSi adventures. I am so looking forward to opinions from the field!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Looks like I found a great way to get Micah fired up: poke fun at his favorite product line. So here we go again! Aside from the questionable aesthetics of the two thirds height wood veneer, it would likely be better acoustically if the wood veneer covered the entire sides. That should add more mass and rigidity to the cabinet making it more acoustically inert (less resonant). ;)

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Options
    odd. I didn't say bad, just odd. When I see them in person, then I will make a judgement.

Troy
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Options
    That should add more mass and rigidity to the cabinet making it more acoustically inert (less resonant).

Actually, these are very thick cabinets. Thicker than normal. From what I understand, they are very inert. They're certainly heavy as all get out.

And also, they are actually not my favorite Polk products. I still love the RT35i's and some of the little RMs. I think that those products are tremendous from a value and performance standpoint. The LSi's are amazing, and I guess when I get upgrade fever I will cave and love them, too. But I love the RTi's. (It might be because the LSi's just don't fit my space right now. I need a bigger house!)

Call me crazy.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited November 2001
    Options
  • Steve@3dai
    edited November 2001
    Options
    The thing that has me hooked on the LSi series (At least the 9s) is the D'Appolito configuration. I had some Labtec computer speakers that were in this design and they had some of the best imaging that I have heard in a speaker for the computer.

I can't wait!! :)

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I really want to hear them however comma, I have to be brutally honest about them really knocking my socks off to justify the price tag. While I am not saying they aren't worth the money but I really have to wonder are they THAT much (in the vicinity of a grand) better than my RT7's (which I didn't pay a dime for)?? In a HT setup, the answer is already no.

Whereas for that same thousand dollars I could get (albeit used) a good headstart on a 2ch stereo rig. Ribbons are making me horny to be honest. That damn George.

Troy
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Listen, you guys will love this stuff.

I wish I could give you a listen now.

Hopefully, you will hear them and think, "Ah. Now that's what I want in my Polk Audio speakers."

I swear I heard details in recordings I know by heart, that I had never heard before.

I can't wait for you to hear them.
    Hey Crazy

Do I love you or what, that I'd make it so easy to crack on me?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• TroyD
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I haven't heard a Polk speaker that I didn't like.....I'm just saying, to convince the lovely (and somewhat skinflint-ish) Wendi to drop a grand on a pair of LSi bookshelves that from her point of view look like what I already have....well, I think you get the idea.

On the other hand (since size DOES matter) if I tell her that I want to drop a grand on a pair of Magnepans that stand as tall as she does, you know, she can say, ok those are different and much bigger than the ones you have.

I am not disagreeing with anything you say, just trying to explain some of the convoluted thinking that I have to put up with.

NO, I wouldn't rather and it is not better to be single.

Troy