The Recipe Thread

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited March 2014 in The Clubhouse
I doubt I am the only person here who loves cooking, and if I am I at least know everyone here enjoys food. So post your favorite recipes here. Post pictures of what you made or what you're having for dinner. Post your opinions on stuff you've tried -- or just talk about food & drink in general.

I unexpectadly got a new crazy awesome set of knives tonight as a Christmas gift, so it got me to thinking about a thread like this.

wusthofcabelas.jpg

I'll start off with something really simple, but absolutely fantastic.

Dave's Slow Cooked BBQ Beef

Ingredients:

4-6 pound boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed
1 Packet Liptons Onion Soup Mix
1 Large Bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce

Preparation:

Combine your Chuck Roast and your packet of Liptons Onion Soup Mix into your slow cooker. Cook on low heat for about 12-14 hours. Don't worry, you can go to work or run errands while the meat cooks.

When the time has elapsed, open your slow cooker and put the Chuck Roast on a large plate (be carefull, it's probably going to be falling apart, which is what you want). Drain most (but not all) of the liquid from the slow cooker and discard. Using two forks, shred the beef and put it back in the slow cooker. Discard any fat you may find if you desire. Add your bottle of BBQ sauce to the slow cooker to your desired tastes and mix well. Put the cover on the slow cooker and cook on low heat for another 2 hours.

When it's done, get some high quality rolls, slap on a small pad of butter and a heaping spoon full of the BBQ beef and enjoy.

This is such a simple recipe that makes a ton of very tasty food that will last you a long while. You can also do this with chicken and pork. :)
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2007
    Good idea for a thread. Here is my contribution:

Get a 2 lb. beef tenderloin or 2.5 lb. flank steak and marinate at least 4 hours (I always do 24 hours) in:

1 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup bourbon or whiskey (I use Crown Royal)
    1/4 cup worstechire sauce
    4 tbsp. brown sugar
    4 fresh minced garlic cloves
    2 tbsp. pepper

Stick it on the grill and cook to your likeness. My 3 year old devestates this recipe and Doro can vouch for me. This thing is killer!!!!!
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited December 2007
    If memory serves, stevinaz and I were trying to get a thread like this rolling but it kept fading away. Some great recipes were in that thread.

Since we can't have a TBT, maybe we can have another thread that everybody can enjoy [nowhere near as much] while on the forum and with their families.

That is......until someone gets offended by the "Turkey breast recipe". Then this thread will be in the Hall of shame for no apparent reason. :rolleyes:
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited December 2007
    I love my Wusthof knive set. Good stuff.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    I want this thread closed because seeing those knives makes me want to stab someone. I mean really think about if...
    100 Pages of knives.
    Estimated 10 knives per page.
    Equals est. 1000 knives who are being viewed as weapons.

Estimated 211,000 views of the TRT.
    Perhaps as many as 211 Million knife photos can be viewed by guys.

If .01% of the photos affect men by this thread, that is 21,000 affected thoughts of stabbing that are "not being encouraged".

If .01% of the 21,000 thoughts of stabbing are acted upon with violence , that would equate to TWO violent acts.

Certainly, you good people can see that 0.01% of the men may be affected by these photos. And, it is possible that of those 0.01% of affected men, an additional 0.01% may act out upon those thoughts with violent consequences.

It is exactly for these reasons (simple math) that I will complain about this thread.:rolleyes:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Just an FYI before I start posting some good recipies Demi I have used Wustoff Trident knives now going on 15 years!!! They are IMHO the best steel ever for cutlery. I have almost every piece they've put out. Knives that are over 15 years old have as keen an edge as the day I purchased them.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I want this thread closed because seeing those knives makes me want to stab someone. I mean really think about if...
    100 Pages of knives.
    Estimated 10 knives per page.
    Equals est. 1000 knives who are being viewed as weapons.

Estimated 211,000 views of the TRT.
    Perhaps as many as 211 Million knife photos can be viewed by guys.

If .01% of the photos affect men by this thread, that is 21,000 affected thoughts of stabbing that are "not being encouraged".

If .01% of the 21,000 thoughts of stabbing are acted upon with violence , that would equate to TWO violent acts.

Certainly, you good people can see that 0.01% of the men may be affected by these photos. And, it is possible that of those 0.01% of affected men, an additional 0.01% may act out upon those thoughts with violent consequences.

It is exactly for these reasons (simple math) that I will complain about this thread.:rolleyes:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YOu are a nut boy!!!
  • ben62670
    edited December 2007
    Yes I am, and it is all Polks fault:mad::mad::mad:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2007
    Just an FYI before I start posting some good recipies Demi I have used Wustoff Trident knives now going on 15 years!!! They are IMHO the best steel ever for cutlery. I have almost every piece they've put out. Knives that are over 15 years old have as keen an edge as the day I purchased them.

Yep, absolutely ridiculous knives. Used them last night... :eek: I got a kick **** Furi Sharpening set along with it, too.

Post some recipes, man!
  • ben62670
    edited December 2007
    Very simple but delicious gathering dish.
    5 gallon pot
    2 to 3 3 foot King fish cleaned, and cubed
    1lb of salt pork, or 2lbs bacon crisped, and drained. (use 5 gallon pot to crisp)
    2lbs of Vidalia onions
    5lbs of red potatoes
    2 gallons of whole milk
    1/2lb butter (land o lakes)
    salt and peeper to taste
    In a very large skillet saut
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Yep, absolutely ridiculous knives. Used them last night... :eek: I got a kick **** Furi Sharpening set along with it, too.

Post some recipes, man!

I shall!

I don't need no stinkin fancy sharpening set, I use a good old fashioned sharpening rod and I have the scars to prove it.:D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited December 2007
    Wow nice thread. My parents were big Gourmet cooks and love to entertain so that sort of rubbed off on me growing up. I love to cook and I love food but I hate to clean up.

Off the top here's a recipe for an Hors Devours I make quite often and is a staple for Christmas Eve.

Sun-Dried Tomato Spread w/ Cayenne Toast.

Spread

2 oz Ready to use Sun Dried Tomatoes (usually packed in oil in a jar)
    1 C Olive Oil (I tend to eyeball it and use a bit more)
    2 Lg Garlic Cloves (or more)
    1/2 bunch of Parsley (I use Italian Flat Leaf for better flavor)
    5-7 Fresh Basil Leafs
    1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (I use less since some people don't like it flaming hot)
    2-3 Green Onions coarsely chopped
    (2) 4 oz blocks of Goat Cheese

Sun Dried tom, parsley, basil, green onion, cayenne pepper, garlic should all be coarsely chopped and then combined (I put all ingredients except goat cheese and olive oil in the food processor) including a small amt of the oil the tomatoes are packed in. Pulse the contents until it's coarsely chopped and blended well. Put chopped contents in a small container with a tight fitting lid. Pour olive oil over contents and mix. Let ingredients sit for at least 24 hours (I do for 48 hours) for flavors to blend.

Cayenne Toast

2-3 French Baguette Loaves
    1 C Olive Oil

Combine the following ingredients in a shaker. I use an old empty spice container and I usually triple or quadruple the measurements so I can use it for other things or for this recipe in the future.

2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
    1 1/2 tsp Salt
    1 1/2 tsp Sugar
    1/2 tsp Finley ground Black Pepper
    1 tsp Paprika
    1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
    1 1/2 tsp Onion Powder

Preheat oven to 200 degrees

Cut bread in 1/4" slices. Lay slices in single layers on ungreased baking sheet. Using a pastry brush generously coat one side of each bread with olive oil. After all bread slices are oiled sprinkle a generous amount of the spice mixture on top of each slice. Dry slices in preheated oven up to 1 hour for very crisp slices or about 1/2 hour for chewy slices (I prefer them a bit chewy rather than hard and crispy) Remove from baking sheet and let cool. When cool store in air tight container or Ziploc bags until served. Can be made ahead and frozen.

Serving: Take one or both 4 oz Goat cheese "bricks" place them in the center of a platter that is not completely flat and pour the olive oil/herb mixture over the top. Serve Cayenne Toast on the side and spread the olive oil/herb mixture on top.

This has a flavor explosion that is awesome even if you aren't a big goat cheese fan. I have served this for work potlucks, friends, family etc. and it's rare that anyone dislikes it. One of my favorites that I could almost make a meal on. I'll be making this for X-mas Eve this year again. Mouth is watering just thinking about it.

*****Hint: Goat cheese is easier to spread if it's at room temp when serving, also using fresh herbs rather than dried really helps the flavor. I've never used dried herbs in this recipe and not sure how it would taste*****

Enjoy

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited December 2007
    This thread died quickly! Not enough Sona or Rskarvan, I guess ;)
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2007
    I'll keep bumping it, no worries. ;)

I have to give your recipe a try sometime soon. Sounds interesting. I'm currently trying to perfect a Pad Thai recipe I have, but I am not quite ready to post it yet.
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited December 2007
    Dave's Slow Cooked BBQ Beef

Ingredients:

4-6 pound boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed
    1 Packet Liptons Onion Soup Mix
    1 Large Bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce

Preparation:

Combine your Chuck Roast and your packet of Liptons Onion Soup Mix into your slow cooker. Cook on low heat for about 12-14 hours. Don't worry, you can go to work or run errands while the meat cooks.

When the time has elapsed, open your slow cooker and put the Chuck Roast on a large plate (be carefull, it's probably going to be falling apart, which is what you want). Drain most (but not all) of the liquid from the slow cooker and discard. Using two forks, shred the beef and put it back in the slow cooker. Discard any fat you may find if you desire. Add your bottle of BBQ sauce to the slow cooker to your desired tastes and mix well. Put the cover on the slow cooker and cook on low heat for another 2 hours.

When it's done, get some high quality rolls, slap on a small pad of butter and a heaping spoon full of the BBQ beef and enjoy.

This is such a simple recipe that makes a ton of very tasty food that will last you a long while. You can also do this with chicken and pork.

I am making this as we speak. I have never used a slow cooker before. So my question is. What exactly is low heat? The dial on my slow cooker starts out at simmer (200 degrees) I think I can go lower than this but it would have to be a guess.
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2007
    nikolas812 wrote: »
    I am making this as we speak. I have never used a slow cooker before. So my question is. What exactly is low heat? The dial on my slow cooker starts out at simmer (200 degrees) I think I can go lower than this but it would have to be a guess.

Hmm, my slow cooker has 3 options.

Warm > Low > High

You would want to use the lowest option that's actually cooking the meat, so don't use simmer. If you could tell me what options yours has, let me know.
  • nikolas812
    edited December 2007
    You would want to use the lowest option that's actually cooking the meat, so don't use simmer. If you could tell me what options yours has, let me know.

It starts out with simmer then goes to 200 then to 250,300,350,400 degrees

Should it be hotter or colder? Right now it is set on simmer which I would guess to be 150 degrees.
  • ben62670
    edited December 2007
    I would run it at simmer. If it is steaming up the lid, and not bubbling your good;)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • nikolas812
    edited December 2007
    Its not steaming up the lid or bubbling yet. But its slowly changing the color of the meat. Should I increase the tempature untill the lid strarts to steam up but not bubbling? Or should I just leave it alone?
  • nikolas812
    edited December 2007
    Never Mind. Its looking good. Its starting to steam the lid and juices are flowing out of the meat. I think i'm good to go. Thanks.
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2007
    It starts out with simmer then goes to 200 then to 250,300,350,400 degrees

Should it be hotter or colder? Right now it is set on simmer which I would guess to be 150 degrees.

200 would be optimal. :D
  • nikolas812
    edited December 2007
    I just checked it again and it is looking great. Its only been in there 4 hours and is already very tender. Looks like BBQ for breakfast.:D I let you know how it turns out.
  • nikolas812
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the great recipe Demi It turned out great.:D
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    Here are some that should appeal to everyone's taste. I created these for the Feast of Seven Fishes on Christmas Eve which is a family tradition since great great great grandparent's days.

The last one has been passed down and is absolutely delicious.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    C'mon lets keep this alive.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    This is mommy's recipe so credit goes to her. This stuff is unreal, i could eat the entire pie of it.

PIZZAGANIA

Crust:
    • 3 cups flour
    • 3 eggs
    • ¾ cup softened butter

Mix with fork, (I use my Kitchen Aid mixer with dough attachment). If necessary, add water or flour to get correct consistency. Knead for about 5 minutes on floured surface. Cover with a bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.

Filling:
    • 3 lbs. Ricotta
    • 5 eggs
    • 1 cup romano cheese grated
    • 1 lb. Procuitto cubed small
    • 1 lb. Imported ham cubed small
    • 1 lb. Munster cheese cubed small
    • fresh chopped parsley to taste
    • pinch of black pepper

Mix all these ingredients together.
    Next roll out dough. I only put a bottom crust. Fit the dough into at least a 9 by 13 pan or larger. Add the filling and brush the top with an egg/water mixture.

Bake in a 350-375 degree oven for 1 hour 15 minutes. Crust should be brown.
  • nikolas812
    edited December 2007
    C'mon lets keep this alive.

I agree I would like to see this thread stick around but sadly I don't think it will. Maybe if posted a tasetfull babe with every recipe.:D
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the great recipe Demi It turned out great.:D

Cool, I'm glad you liked it. It kept me out of a lot of Hamburger Helper & Boxed Mac 'N Cheese. Plus, it's such a no brainer recipe that it pretty much makes itself while you're off at work or doing whatever. :)
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2008
    I made this the other night and it's pretty good. Really a hearty soup and so simple. It's also a nice base to experiment with. There's no reason you need to stick with this exact recipe. Enjoy! :)

Mexican Chicken Tortila Soup

8728.jpg

Ingredients:

2 skinless, boneless chicken ****
    1/2 teaspoon olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon garlic (minced)
    1/4 teaspoon cumin
    2 [14.5 oz] chicken broth
    1 cup corn (frozen)
    1 small can black beans (drained)
    1 cup onion (chopped)
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 cup chunky salsa
    8 ounces corn tortilla chips
    1/2 cup shredded cheese (your choice)

Directions:

In a large pot over medium heat, cook the chicken in the olive oil for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin and mix well. Then add the broth, corn, beans, onion, chili powder, lemon juice and salsa. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 to 40 minutes.

Break up some tortilla chips into soup bowls and pour soup over chips. Top with the Monterey Jack cheese and a little sour cream.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    The ingredients look great but the pic looks like a refund!:eek:
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2008
    Looks like vomit, tastes like heaven. :D