dvd-audio

wangotango68
wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
can someone tell me the deal on dvd audio being able to be played on a standerd dvd player? iv read that warner bros. music
has a dd version on them that can be played on any dvd player.
has anybody done this? and how good is the sound compared to the standard cd?

scott:cool:
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited November 2001
    If I understand correctly, some DVD-A discs also include 5.1 audio (DD ?) that is the same format as standard DVD-video, audio (compressed), and therefore is playable on a standard DVD player. It should sound as good as a DVD movie soundtrack.

Does that make sense? I don't have any experience with it--- but that's what I understand to be the case.
  • wangotango68
    edited November 2001
    amazon.com says that warner,atlantic and electra lables will also play in a standard dvd player sounds like a good way to get your feet wet in dvd audio without shelling out money on a special player.

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited November 2001
    DVD-A has the high-resolution track 5.1, the high-resolution track 2 channels stereo, and the DD 5.1 track and in some DTS label DVD-A, they also have the DTS 5.1 track. If you don't have the DVD-A player, the regular DVD player can only plays the DD 5.1 track or the DTS 5.1 track, if you want to get the full benefits of the high-resolution sound tracks, you have to get the DVD-A player.
  • wangotango68
    edited November 2001
    i heard a demo of dvd audio at best buy last night it sounded good. all im saying it won't break my bank to pick up one of the
    dvd audio cd's and try it out on my player.

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited November 2001
    Remember, without a DVD-A player you're really not going to get any great benefit in sound quality.

Aaron
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2001
    I just picked up a car stereo which supports DVD Audio. MSRP was $1999 and I found it for $500 + shipping. That tells me that either it is on it's way in to the mainstream or on it's way out. Something I noticed when I bought my first two discs was that one of them said DVD Audio and looked like a DVD whereas the other one appears to be a CD only. (It doesn't say DVD Audio but has the DTS logo on it) I'm guessing there are multiple formats on multiple types of media? Anyone know of this?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • jcaut
    edited November 2001
    Seems to be a lot of confusion regarding DVD-Audio and multichannel music in general.

Scott,
    I think you're right, in that you could buy a DVD-A disc that you could play on a reg DVD player, which would let you hear the effect of the multiple channels, in Dolby Digital or DTS format.
    You just wouldn't get the benefits of the high resoulution that DVD-A is capable of.

Same thing with the DTS CD: Multichannel, but not high resolution (and thus not DVD-A). Am I right?

Jason
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited November 2001
    my two bits!

I have just purchased a dvd audio player......inorder to receive six-channel music you will need a player that can decode dvd audio disc.....without the decoder you can still play the dvd disc but only in the 5.1 dd or two channel stereo. when playing dvd audio disc you will have to have your receiver/pre amp turn to six channel discrete/direct inorder to receive the six channel music/sound.

dc.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2001
    Speaker7,
    I'm not disputing what you said, I just don't understand. You said:

"In order to receive six-channel music you will need a player that can decode dvd audio disc.....without the decoder you can still play the dvd disc but only in the 5.1 dd or two channel stereo."

What is the difference between six-channel music and 5.1 dd? I thought you would only loose the ability to play the high definition 2 channel if you didn't have the dvd-audio player.

BTW, I tried the DTS CD in a normal CD player and it just hisses like FM with no station. (I have not received my player yet)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • wangotango68
    edited November 2001
    if thats the case then ill just wait to see what format comes out ahead.

• SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited November 2001
    madmax001,

the difference between 6channel music vs dd 5.1.....

I find music playing in the 6channel discrete mode/dvd audio sound much more clearer, and realistic/live vs dd 5.1 .....i find playing dvd audio disc under dd5.1 worst than two channel cd's.( there is no decoding when playing audio dvd under six channel discrete but there is when your play back is in the dd5.1 mode )

the reason you would play dvd audio discs on the 6channel discrete mode is because of copy right factor. The manufacturer had this set up(recorded) inorder to prevent people..ect from copying and distributing unauthorized copies.

not necessarly ....you don't need a dvd audio player inorder to play HCCD in two channel....all you would need is a receiver or a dvd player that has a built in HCCD decoder .

I hope this helps you a little....i'm still learning myself through this Polk site, mag, friends.....getting more interesting and expensive all the time.

dc. go check out some stereos stores around your area and see if you can get a demo on dvd audio/sacd.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2001
    I am purchasing the new JVC 7-disc progressive scan with DVDA. I have a 6.1 system. I would think that to know what they sound like u have to have a DVDA player and a DVDA disc. I will have to purchase a couple disc soon. I will let you know what I hear. We have all heard music on DVD soundtracks and it is hands down better sounding than a standard CD. I hope DVDA sounds just as good or better. The Don Henley DVD blew me away. It sounded amazing. LATER
  • jcaut
    edited November 2001
    scottvamp,

I'm not saying you're wrong. You say that we've "all heard music on DVD soundtracks and it is hands down better sounding than a standard CD". I'd have to say that, if you're talking about the music on a standard video DVD soundtrack, and you're not referring to the effect of using more than two channels, then there's no technical reason for it to sound any better than a CD.

The soundtracks on DVD video discs (with the exception of the two-channel 96kHz/24 bit discs) are compressed, much like MP3 encoded music. A regular CD should sound at least as good.

madmax,
    If you have a DTS-CD, then it should play on a regular CD player, provided you feed the digital output from the player to a DTS decoder in your receiver or pre-amp. BTW, that is compressed audio, too.

The primary benefit of DVD-A and SACD is the higher resoulution that they are capable of. I think they're just pushing the multi-channel thing to help sell the format. But that, of course, is only my opinion.

Jason
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2001
    I am having a hard time even finding very many dvda disc and any reviews. It does not seem to be format that is taking off. :confused:
  • PETERNG
    edited November 2001
    Until recently, DTS made some DVD-A, but before that most of their products are DTS-CD not DVD-A. All DVD-A have the DVD-Audio logo on it. The different between the two is DTS-CD is a CD not a DVD (recorded as the same frequency as CD while DVD-A is recorded in a much higher frequency), so when you insert the DTS CD in to a player, it will recognize it as a CD, the same true for the other, and you know most of DVD players will play CD. In most of the CD-R machine, you can also record DTS-CD but you cannot record DVD-A even you have the DVD-R. The high-resolution sound track of the DVD-A does not output to the digital out, but via the analog output. That why if you have a DVD-A and your receiver does not have the 5.1 analog input, you're out of luck too. Any receiver that has the DD 5.1 and DTS decoder should be able to handle the DTS track of the DTS-CD and the DD track of the DVD-A.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2001
    I almost bought a cd player with the sacd format... but only found about 6 tittles for it... as where I'm now looking at the DVD-a format- Best buy has a ton of tittles for this format.... but I'm still being cautious... this is like the betta vs. vhs format... there will hopefully be a winner soon...
  • jcaut
    edited November 2001
    there will hopefully be a winner soon

...or two losers...

Don't get me wrong. I think the technology is great. I've heard DVD-Audio and it sounds great (and I'm sure SACD does, too). Besides the detrimental effect of the "format war" there are several other pitfalls that will be difficult for either format to overcome. First and foremost, I don't think the average Joe is concerned about higher sound quality. MP3 is all the rage right now, and with few exceptions, they sound like crap. Seems like people want quantity over quality. (That quantity over quality thing was a factor in the VHS vs. Beta, mentioned above: VHS offered longer recording times.) The multi-channel audio might appeal to a broader range of people, but the above mentioned 5.1 DD or DTS tracks on Video DVD's or CD's are compatible with equipment most people already own.

Copy protection. I won't get into that, but we all know what a can of worms that is.

Until we see a player that can read a range of formats off of the disc and feed the digital bitstream to the appropriate D/A converter, or decoder, I don't see much hope for either format.
  • PETERNG
    edited November 2001
    BB now carry about 50 titles on SACD, their prices on these CD are subtantially less than the price of DVD-A ($15.99 vs $22.99).
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited November 2001
    Well I think Sony learned their Lesson over the whole Beta Fiasco...

Which one will win? Who knows, but I would not buy a DVD player specifically for SACD or DVD-A. Buy it for DVD and if it is there then it's a plus...
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2001
    I needed a dvd player... so, I bought a dvd-audio player.
    I got the Denon3300 DVD-A (now obsolete).
    I LOVE IT. It has bass management built in.
    Its an awesome movie player.
    The DVD-Audio format kicks ****.
    I just connected six cables from my DVD-A player to the
    inputs into my receiver and I was set.
    Its also an EXCELLENT CD player. The unit uses
    burr-brown D/A converters - very good.
    The transport is rock solid.
    Scratched cd's that skip on my JVC cd player track well
    on my DVD-Audio format. In short, its phenominal in
    every regard.

I found mine discounted about 50% from MSRP.
    The only downside of my player is it doesn't recognize CDR's.
    (not that I have very many.
  • wangotango68
    edited November 2001
    hay ron i might be in indianapolis this weekend i won't know till wendsday if your going to be around let me know id like to hear
    your dvd-a setup.

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2001
    Petering...mabybe my BB was out..but there were only 6 titles sitting on the shelf for sacd disks..... did not impress me much when I saw that :(
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited November 2001
    In mY local BB they had about 20 titles for SACD but they were not in DVD, CD or Music section they were in the Audio Section, the Section with the Receivers, CD players etc...And of the Titles available most were Jazz, Blues...No real Main Stream titles there...
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2001
    Scott,

Saturday AM or Sunday would work best for me.

- Ron S.