"Resist all temptation to use the subwoofer output jack-please!"

Options
Sumflow
Sumflow Posts: 64
edited February 2003 in Troubleshooting
Originally posted by Polk in 'All You Need to Know About Bass Management:'
Small Satellite/Subwoofer Systems, Like The Polk RM Series

Connect the subwoofer to the Front Left & Right speaker level or preamp level outputs (Figures 5 and 7), set the Fronts to "Large" and Sub to "Off."
Resist all temptation to use the subwoofer output jack-please.

"Resist all temptation to use the subwoofer output jack-please!"

Why!
"At the first bend, I had the clear sensation that Tazio had taken it badly and that we would end up in the ditch; I felt myself stiffen as I waited for the crunch. Instead, we found ourselves on the next straight with the car in a perfect position. I looked at him, his rugged face was calm, just as it always was, and certainly not the face of someone who had just escaped a hair-raising spin. I had the same sensation at the second bend. By the fourth or fifth bend I began to understand; in the meantime, I had noticed that through the entire bend Tazio did not lift his foot from the accelerator, and that, in fact, it was flat on the floor. As bend followed bend, I discovered his secret. Nuvolari entered the bend somewhat earlier than my driver's instinct would have told me to. But he went into the bend in an unusual way: with one movement he aimed the nose of the car at the inside edge, just where the curve itself started. His foot was flat down, and he had obviously changed down to the right gear before going through this fearsome rigmarole. In this way he put the car into a four-wheel drift, making the most of the thrust of the centrifugal force and keeping it on the road with the traction of the driving wheels. Throughout the bend the car shaved the inside edge, and when the bend turned into the straight the car was in the normal position for accelerating down it, with no need for any corrections."

Enzo Ferrari
Post edited by Sumflow on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited January 2003
    Options
    BECAUSE
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I already replied to one of your posts with this URL. Read it again captain obvious.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/advice.php?article=bassmanage
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    BECAUSE

Agreed, you pineapple eatin ****.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    It's how a sub/sat system was designed.

Put down the playdough and do a little reading, will ya?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2003
    Options
    If'n ya gotta hear it again... you *potentially* don't use the sub out jack for two reasons: 1) depending on your receiver/processor, the sub may not play during normal stereo playback, like with CDs; and 2) if the output is filtered, AND the input to the sub is filtered, the combination of the two filters can produce undesirable effects.

If your receiver/processor does not have a filter on the sub out jack, or if you can turn it off, or if your sub has an unfiltered input, then you should be OK using the sub out jack, at least concerning #2 above.

If your receiver/processor doesn't use the sub during regular stereo playback, then you wouldn't want to use the sub out jack regardless of filtering.

Tatoo that on the inside of your eyelids.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Burdette - you beat me to the punch while I was typing, so this edit recognizes your post, above.

Also, read this thread about double filtering.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7294

That wouldn't be a problem with your PSW350 if you plug into the LFE (Unfiltered) jack, though.

Aside from the issue of double filtering (which can be avoided), I personally prefer speaks to small, an 80 Hz filter point at the receiver, and plugging into the Unfiltered LFE port, or disabling your filter at the sub if it has that capability.

If the low level port is filtered and you can't bypass it, just crank the sub filter all the way up to its highest setting and be done with it.

The reason I prefer the low level LFE connection method to the sub is that when the filtering is done at the receiver, it is done BEFORE the receiver's amp stage. This considerably lightens the current demands on the receiver amp and often results in noticably better sounding mids and highs.

A speaker level subwoofer connection does not benefit from this - the receiver amp still sends a full range, full current signal to the subwoofer and the filtering is done at the sub - AFTER the receiver's amp stage.

BTW - I haven't decided yet if you are a genuine Polk and A/V enthusiast, or if you are a forum troll just **** with the good people around here and wasting their time. I'm leaning towards the latter, and that's why I have thus far avoided posting to any of your threads. I hope you prove me wrong because this forum doesn't suffer trolls well.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm going to add my two cents here by saying that the sub connection/filtering/frequency setting issue can be a complicated one to both explain and understand, and with Dr. Spec's help and others, I believe I fully understand the topic now and my system does sound great!

I appreciate all your help on this.

Kevin
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • Sumflow
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec I personally prefer speaks to small, an 80 Hz filter point at the receiver, and plugging into the Unfiltered LFE port... filtering is done at the receiver..BEFORE the receiver's amp..
    Thanks that is pretty much how TonyPTX helped me set it up. I tried some other ways and that sounds best. I was just trying to get an intelligent explanation as to why, which you have provided here. Thank You.
    BTW - I haven't decided yet if you are a genuine Polk and A/V enthusiast
    I did choose and installed a Polk system for my Dad. Subwoofers are new to me and I am impressed.

At home in Hawaii I have a half a dozen
    JBL L100 studio monitors (3-way) and some giant JBL Studio monitors (15" woofers with a Bi-Radial horn).

It just seems strange to me that I can ask a question and have people expect me to accept an answer like “Because!”

If Polkie’s are the ones who give answers like “Because,” or the company says so. I want no part of it.
    "At the first bend, I had the clear sensation that Tazio had taken it badly and that we would end up in the ditch; I felt myself stiffen as I waited for the crunch. Instead, we found ourselves on the next straight with the car in a perfect position. I looked at him, his rugged face was calm, just as it always was, and certainly not the face of someone who had just escaped a hair-raising spin. I had the same sensation at the second bend. By the fourth or fifth bend I began to understand; in the meantime, I had noticed that through the entire bend Tazio did not lift his foot from the accelerator, and that, in fact, it was flat on the floor. As bend followed bend, I discovered his secret. Nuvolari entered the bend somewhat earlier than my driver's instinct would have told me to. But he went into the bend in an unusual way: with one movement he aimed the nose of the car at the inside edge, just where the curve itself started. His foot was flat down, and he had obviously changed down to the right gear before going through this fearsome rigmarole. In this way he put the car into a four-wheel drift, making the most of the thrust of the centrifugal force and keeping it on the road with the traction of the driving wheels. Throughout the bend the car shaved the inside edge, and when the bend turned into the straight the car was in the normal position for accelerating down it, with no need for any corrections."

Enzo Ferrari
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Because was answered "because" you have asked this same question a couple of times and it was answered by us and Polk administration. Not to mention it is one of the top10 questions on this form. "Who Do I Hook Up My Subwoofer"?????
    And when you get an answer you question the answer as if it was fabricated. If you read the forum ya'll find out we don't answer questions with "because".
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Sumflow

If Polkie’s are the ones who give answers like “Because,” or the company says so. I want no part of it.

Suits me fine!

Jeez, as Scott so eloquently stated, your question was asked and answered before. I was having a little fun, you asked "why?" and the perfect answer is "because." Lighten up.

BTW, you're a polkie, I'm a polkhead. ;)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Didnt he ask this like...2 or 3 times before? eh? I thought because was a good answer really. I mean really, BECAUSE polk SAYS TO. I mean u can try it, if u dont like it, then try the way POLK WANTS YOU TO. If you dont like that, then ohh well! LOL! and red and blue makes me fall asleep...
    BTW - I haven't decided yet if you are a genuine Polk and A/V enthusiast, or if you are a forum troll just **** with the good people around here and wasting their time. I'm leaning towards the latter, and that's why I have thus far avoided posting to any of your threads. I hope you prove me wrong because this forum doesn't suffer trolls well. -DOC

Who cares if hes a troll, him posting in thos effin colors makes my mind go in circles...
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sid bitching about someone ELSE'S posting style?

Pot, kettle, black?

Hello? Is this thing on?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks that is pretty much how TonyPTX helped me set it up. I tried some other ways and that sounds best.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel!!!
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Pot, kettle, black?
    Nice call Troy!
    Wow, ya - Hello McFly!!!!!! Where does he get all the shuvels.:rolleyes:
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Options
    For the record, I'm not fond of the multi-color posts either.

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Well, ****-baggy-bag has started yet ANOTHER post on the topic here:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7398

Did we ever do nuclear testing in Hawaii? I can't figure this one out.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    This guy has got to be effffing toying with us!!!!!!!!!
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Did we ever do nuclear testing in Hawaii? I can't figure this one out.

It's from being surrounded by all that water....maybe volcanic vapors....too much sun....

President of Club Polk

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD

Pot, kettle, black?

Hello? Is this thing on?

BDT

Muahahha, the day I start posting in colors is the day I commit myself to the **** house...lord u'd think the dude drinks hawian punch in a coconut glass with a small umbrella sticking out the side in a laid back lawn chair that has had too much sun, no one and I mean no one can be that effin happy enough to post in colors, or stuborn enough to post the same thing 2 or 3 times....

I think hes ran from wayyyyyyyy toooooooo many valcano's
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited January 2003
    Options
    maybe sumflow is just testing us
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Maybe we're testing him! So far, he's flunking out.....big time.

President of Club Polk

• Sumflow
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Oh! And one more thing Doc!:lol:What about the “Set your LFE to -3 on the Reciever

Enzo Ferrari
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited January 2003
    Options
    all the colors! *PULLS HAIR OUT AS HE RUNS DOWN THE ROAD* HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Oh! And one more thing Doc!:lol:What about the “Set your LFE to -3 on the Reciever

Already discussed at length eleswhere. Will not repeat myself - get your search on.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Sumflow
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    From the H/K 525 owner's manual:
    With that said, keep the LFE volume at the receiver at a little less than the midpoint of the adjustment range. The reason you do this is to keep the tiny sub out pre-amp from clipping its signal and sending a distorted signal to the sub. This can happen if you set your sub volume to +10 (on a scale of -10 to +10). Since the LFE signal is so extraordinarily dynamic, it's best to give the pre-amp a lot of voltage headroom and increase bass volume at the sub, not the receiver.

Hope this helps!

Doc
    Thanks Doc!

Enzo Ferrari