component stacking

Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I have my DVD player sitting on top of my digital cable box. Unfortunately the cable box gets relatively hot, even when it's not "on". Should this be cause for concern for the DVD player? Thanks!

Aaron
(earning my Polkster status honestly) :D
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2001
    ...have the room to put foam-rubber spacers between them?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    I would at least swap em, put the dvd on bottom, and like the above Polkaholic said, spacers would be great. You may even consider a small fan, if these are enclosed in a rack or ent center.

Your dvd player may do fine, but the majority of lockups and pixelation incidents I have heard of, were heat related.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2001
    The spaces are probably a good idea. I can't put the DVD on the bottom since it is much smaller than the digital cable box. Also, these components are sitting out (not enclosed), so that should help with heat dissipation. Thanks!

Aaron
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited July 2001
    Aaron
    If your digital cable box is anything like mine General Insrument(Motorola)2000 model. They need air or you get problems, at least this is what the manual says. When I had my CD player on top of a component which got warm to hot when on, the CD player developed a clicking noise. It took me 2 days to figure it out it only happened after the system had been on for a while. I would start a tape and let it go, when I listened to the tape it had the clicks after about 15 mnutes of good tape. I don't stack more then 2, if one gets hot it gets its own shelf. Hope this was of some help.
    Chris
    Chris :)