Problems with RT1000P

William509
William509 Posts: 4
edited January 2003 in Troubleshooting
Hi one of my RT1000P speakers doesn't seem to work. Whenever I turn the volume up on the receiver, the receiver shuts off by itself at an "intense" scene. I thought the receiver was broken, but the tech said I should check the speakers. I tried testing it by plugging the speaker by itself. Anyone have any idea what is causing this ??

Thanks in advance
Post edited by William509 on

Comments

• William509
    edited January 2003
    i don't believe it's my receiver, because when my receiver was at the tech, i bought another receiver to try it out. the results where the same. whenever i increased the volume, the receiver would shut off by itself. This only happens with that particular speaker... when i connect the other(working) speaker from the other side, nothing goes wrong when i increase the volume...

thanks for your help
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited January 2003
    Do you have the problem with th sub unplugged from the wall?

Can you hear sound out of tweeter and mid under normal conditions?
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Sounds like the impedance load being presented to the receiver is abnormally low. Bypass the powered lowers and see if you get the same problem.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • schumach
    edited January 2003
    Dr. Spec that is what I was working towards.
  • William509
    edited January 2003
    umm i'm a newbie, can you elaborate a little more Dr. Spec? Thanks

schumach - i don't have the sub plugged in... , but I can hear things under normal conditions...

it just blows when i increase the volume :(

appreciate the help!
  • schumach
    edited January 2003
    You don't have to power for the sub plugged in, but how do you have the sub connected? Are you using the binding post connectors or the line level input?

You may also want to pull each speaker out and confirm that there are no loose wires grounding out.
  • William509
    edited January 2003
    oh i don't have the subs connected....
    I also pulled all the wires connected to the speakers... while having the problem speaker plugged in by itself...
  • schumach
    edited January 2003
    I would have to say you have done every thing I would have. The only other test I would do would be to disconnect the tweeter and see if the receiver goes off and then the mid. If it happens with both then I would have to think it is the crossover. You might want to contact Ken at Polk tech support and see what he has to say. You have a five year warranty on the speakers. Other then that I am at a lose.