FYI LSI9 Burning smell

Zen Dragon
Zen Dragon Posts: 501
edited January 2003 in Troubleshooting
Hey all:
Just thought I'd post this as an FYI. I picked up a pair of LSI9's a couple weeks ago, and have been enjoying them with my Hafler DH-220 amp. ( I know, I'll push the amp quality up when money allows) Anyway I'm on about the 4th beer, and in the middle of Metallicas Black album with the volume at about 10:30-11:00, and that pleasant ringing in the ears...all the sudden I smell something burning.
****....I think I'm toasting the cross overs. So I'm not f'ing with the speakers after 4 beers, so I go to bed. Tonight I open it up, and Polk has stuffed this nice fluffy nylon materian in behind the left driver for damping, and it had been melting up against a ceramic resistor on the cross-over.
Not quite sure how I'm going to make sure it doesn't lean up on the resistor again, but thought I'd pass along the info.
The Family
Polk SDA-1C's
Polk SDA-2
Polk Monitor 10B's
Polk LSI-9's
Polk Monitor 5's
Polk 5 jr's
Polk PSW-450 Sub
Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
This is pretty f***ed up right here.
Post edited by Zen Dragon on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Nice - Dragon - nice!!!!! Good to know. That Metallica is a deathwish - I blow some HT speakers on the Metallica DVD. Just got to crank it. It was fun!!!!
    If your going to burn something up - best be Metallica. Blowing speakers up on Enya just doesn't have the same meaning.;)