As a HT newbie, I'm pleased

Options
kaila
kaila Posts: 2
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
In the face of limited funds (and my wife), the best I could do is cheap out with lower end Polk RT's and a 100w Sony receiver. My room is somewhat small (13X18), but not acoustically challenging in any way. I have been very pleased so far, and very impressed with the sound quality for both music and movies. Not perfect, but I really thought that I would take more of a hit in the quality department with these speakers.

The question I have is what sub would you match with this setup? Especially if I look to trade up to some better mains down the road. And how much better does it get with better speakers? Kind of a cost/benefit question and loaded I know.

RT 35i mains
CS 245i center
RT 25i rears
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    Options
    welcome to the forum! i would suggest that a psw350 would match your current system pretty well, although if you are looking to upgrade to larger speakers in the near future(possibly 55's or 800's), you may want to go a psw450. the cost difference between the 350 and 450 will make up for itself when you upgrade the speakers. i think you would be happier in the long run. some may suggest even going to a psw650, but it really depends on what you are thinking of upgrading to. velodyne also makes a very good sub, you may want to look at them as well.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2001
    Options
    ....ANY sub from the Polk line will blend up nicely....and hey, you didn't cheap out, thats a terrific system.

Hopefully I don't get slammed too hard for saying this, but I wouldn't give Velodyne much thought as far as a mass retail or budget model.... Imo, the CT series just isnt all its cracked up to be.

Nothing wrong, I just think you can do the same or better for less.

If you don't find a Polk sub (which you should be able to) that pleases you, on a budget, check out the Adire Audio Rava, PSB Alpha Subsonic 5, or the Paradigm PDR10.... Terrific performing subwoofers, in their price point.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Velodyne has some very good high-end subs ($1000 or more). Paradigm's subs sound very good too.
  • kaila
    kaila Posts: 2
    edited November 2001
    Options
    russman- I shouldn't have used the words "cheaped out". I picked them up at CC when they had the black 35i's on sale for $139 each a week ago- it definitely felt like I cheaped out, what a bargain.

I will look at the polk subs first- the 350 & 450. I am apreciating the cs 245i more every time I listen, it is really a nice speaker and a good fit with the 35i's.

RT 35i mains
    CS 245i center
    RT 25i rears
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Actualy I dissagree with Russman on the Velodyne subs. I own one..and had another (traded up)... anyway..the vel will blow away any polk sub IMO. Now for hometheater...it wont make that much diff... but on 2 channel stereo..thats where the vel will shine. dont get me wrong,...I like Polk...just not fond of there subs:D
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I love my PSW-650... it's heavy as a rock, but it sounds great!

-Joe-
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I wouldn't say that I dislike Velo's CT series, I just think that the performance doesn't correspond to the price tag.....

I agree with Russ, that is a great system and his picks on sub are right on. However, I am partial to the Paradigm PDR-10 cuz I own one. Great performer at a great price, I would definately give it a try.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited November 2001
    Options
    i love my velodyne ct 120 it rocks it was good when i first bought it but it just gets beter with timei want to get another to de localize the bass. i can feel where the bass is comeing from.