10B Tweeter Failure

Options
KJB
KJB Posts: 10
edited January 2003 in Troubleshooting
I have 10B monitors that I purchased in 1987. The silver coil dome tweeter on one stopped working recently. For a while, if I touched the surface it would come back on. Now it has stopped working completely.

Does it need to be replaced? What should I do?

Thanks.
Post edited by KJB on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I think, yes, needs to be replaced. I'm pretty sure you can still get it from Polk. Call customer service and they will hook you up.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have had to replace both of mine. Less than 50 bucks each sent from Polk. They discount them for members if I remember correctly. The latest one I got was a different color dome, but it sounds the same. Nothin' to it!

Oh and by the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!
  • KJB
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Stevew14,

Thanks for your reply. I'll call Polk today and order the replacement.

Do you think it's worth buying a "spare" in anticipation of the other tweeter failing eventually?

Thanks again!

KJB
  • stevew14
    stevew14 Posts: 130
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I guess that's your call. I think there was about a three year gap between my two replacements.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Do you know what tweeter it is? I got 2 replacement SL1000 tweeters from Parts Express for something like $30 a piece. I don't know if they're still available, but I'd imagine that they are. If you want, I can dig up the URL. From what I can tell, they're the same tweeter, just without the Polk name on them. Sound great, too. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the SL1000, SL2000, and SL3000 tweeter all are the same format, though they sound better as you go up.

DooD

Edit- I would also replace both of them at once. The new tweeter will sound different than the other old one, so it's best to just do 'em both. That way you'll have your spare as well. Just my advice...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • KJB
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I received my replacement tweeter from Polk yesterday. ($48.00 for Club members with Free 2nd Day Fed Ex.)

Took about five minutes to replace the blown tweeter and the 10b's work and sound great again.

Thanks to this Forum, what I thought was a big problem had a simple solution.

KJB