My opinion CS350ls vs. CS400i

Options
hoosier21
hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I bought a CS350ls based on many here using it with the older SDA speakers and that they were very happy with it. But I was not as thrilled with it, it did not come close to matching the sound in the higher feq. as would have liked. I sold it and bought a CS400i and I really like the match much better, not perfect but MUCH closer, the CS400i is a big mother, but works great and can handle what I have give it so far. I have set mine to small, is anybody using it as LARGE?

My 2 cents worth
Dodd - Battery Preamp
Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
Outlaw ICBM - crossover
Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited November 2001
    Options
    i have mine set to large and the 2b's set to large also

scott:cool:
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I think my Denon 3801 handles the CS400i better when
    set to small. If I were powering the CS400i from an
    external amp, I would set it to large.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I still like the performance of the CS350LS, I move it to my bedroom after I bought the CS1000p for the living room, I think the CS350LS is one of the best center channel speaker in the market, beautiful craft and design, and I probably won't plan to replace it for a very long..long time.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    Options
    my 400 is set to small, i find it easier to manage the bass with it set this way. i am looking to upgrade to external amps, and i will probably have to play around again to see what sounds better then.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Just remember that when you set the speaker to large you're no longer allowing the sub to pick up the lower frequencies of the center channel. This is a three-fold disadvantage, because 1) you're requiring a weak receiver to drive the speaker full-range, stripping precious power away from the receiver, 2) forcing the speaker to produce "full-range" sound will degrade the sound quality (and the center is where you'll notice it most), and 3) you're losing out on any low bass from the center channel because the speaker can't really produce meaningful bass below 45Hz. (while the sub can).

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2001
    Options
    ...Just curious, what speakers do you have that hit 10Hz? I imagine they must have a very large cabinet to get that low.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2001
    Options
    ...spared no expense eh?

Well, I guess if a speaker system cost $130K+, and weighs in at over a TON, it BETTER hit 10Hz.....

Jeez.

Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2001
    Options
    What are you driving them with? I take it this is NOT part of an HT rig.....

I could care less how you got em, really....thats your business.

Russ
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2001
    Options
    One hell of a rig, must sound Amazing .

I've heard some nice Krells on B&W rigs, but never a ribbon.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited November 2001
    Options
    R
    Yeah the Radio Shack Optimas are a great speaker. I do think they should come down in their price but what can you do.
    Chris
    Chris :)