a whole parade of crumby movies

Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Stuff I have watched recently, and which has not impressed me:

Unbreakable
Proof of Life (which made Unbreakable look like Citizen Kane)
Big Night
In The Company of Men
Mercury Rising
Get Carter

Seems I'll watch just about any damn thing on DVD.

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2001
    I loved Unbreakable. Much better than the previous 6th sence.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    Unbreakable was alright. I was expecting action not drama. I rented it purely on the fact that there was a derailed train. I wanted to SEE and HEAR that.
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited July 2001
    I saw "The Fast and Furious" last weekend. Now, I'm kind of a car nut, I like seeing those cars with all the crap to make 'em go fast. I'm sitting there watching the opening scene: 3 turbocharged Hondas are high-jacking this semi and I'm thinking, "**** this is cool!" Man, did that feeling ever slide downhill after the next 10 min -- that's right, there was talking.

Don’t go see this movie. It wasn’t even worth seeing the cool cars in it. But I saw a preview for “American Pie 2”, and I’m a sucker for that kind of dumb comedy.

~JB
  • Micah Cohen
    edited July 2001
    "Unbreakable" was by no means as wonderful a flick as "6th Sense." How can you say that? "6th Sense" was really cool. If you're going to compare the two, which you have to do, then I must say that M. Night's screenwriting style is now officially "tedious." Okay, we all now know he can write a screenplay from back to front (I mean, with the end in sight from the beginning, a la "6th Sense"). Now, when is he going to really work for my attention?

So, I thought "Unbreakable" was an interesting twist on what could have been a tired story. It was definitely better than the last superhero movie, "X-Men." It was just more innovative.

And "Unbreakable" was GREAT compared to "Proof of Life," which was just "unBAREable."

But "6th Sense" was a very very well done, well crafted, well directed film. A surprise! (A la "Usual Suspects," etc.)

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2001
    .....but the vast majority of movies produced lately have sucked. I can't remeber the last movie I felt compelled to see in a theater. I honestly feel the overall quality of movies is going down the toilet due to the reliance of techno-gimmicks to sell movies. Maybe I am just getting older....

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ron-P
    edited July 2001
    How can you say that?

Easy.

I found Unbreakable much more interesting over 6th. It had more drama, more suspense and was much more interesting. And that ending, I didn't see that coming at all. I thought Mr. Glass would be the leader in the wheelchair (like X-Men), but nooooo. In 6th, once I figured out that Bruce was dead, it was just waiting for the movie to end. It was like he blew the ending of the movie half way thru the movie. Sure 6th was good, because it was different in a year of cookie cutter movies. The 6th sence never grabbed me, it did not hold my interest like Unbreakable did. Once that disk started to spin, I could not stop it, so well done. I know I am one of the few, if not the only one who thought it was better than the 6th.

If...
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited July 2001
    man.. guess its hard to just sit down and enjoy a movie these days? Only movie that I have seen lately that realy sucked- was Best of show- man..what a bad movie. only funny parts were the very beginning and the very end.... and the end only funny cause it looked like our dog...

Unbreakable- cool movie
    mercury rising-excellent
    shrek
    died laughing..cant wait for DVD
    just seen cats & dogs...almost rolled on the floor

up-comming: already got my ticket for JP3....and soon Planet of the Apes

oh well.. to each his own..then again..I've never seen "driving miss daisey" either...
  • Micah Cohen
    edited July 2001
    In 6th, once I figured out that Bruce was dead...

Well, I guess that's the crux. The first time I saw it, I had no clue. The end was a total total surprise. I just didn't know anything at all about it. It blew me away.

And, watching it afterwards of course I saw that he gives you all the damn clues about 15 minutes into the movie... But of all the people I've seen it with since, none has figured it out.

I guess, if you figured it out, then I can see how you'd be underwhelmed by "6th Sense." Maybe, there's a little of that in how I feel about "Unbreakable." I sort of saw it coming. I thought it was an interesting way to get there, but I kinda knew it would get to that ending.

I'll still say that I'm waiting for M. Night to direct a really really GREAT film. That will be wonderful.

And I'm thinking... JP3 is actually looking interesting, like it would be a cool summer blockbuster type flick. I might have to leave the basement theater and see it...

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    edited July 2001
    I'll still say that I'm waiting for M. Night to direct a really really GREAT film. That will be wonderful.

Well, Mr. Night is in Philly with Mel Gibson and shooting is to begin in September. Mel plays a farmer who discovers large circles and other patterns in his fields. Sounds interesting. Great or not, we'll see.

And I'm thinking... JP3 is actually looking interesting, like it would be a cool summer blockbuster type flick. I might have to leave the basement theater and see it...

I agree, I've heard good reviews on this so far. Although it is short, running at just over 1.5 hours.

If...
  • Micah Cohen
    edited July 2001
    Oh no. No. No, please. Not another Mel Gibson movie. Not another movie about galldarn aliens. No. Please. Make it stop.

That won't be Night's masterpiece. I make that prediction.

And the greatest greatest thing about JP3, is that it's NOT directed by Spielberg.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    edited July 2001
    And the greatest greatest thing about JP3, is that it's NOT directed by Spielberg.

Did you not enjoy the first for what it was, or did you hate it just because SS did it? No matter how good JPIII will be, I will not top the first. Won't happen.

How, Micah, are you looking forward to JPIII, when you hate SS so much? True, he did not direct, but he produced which means he had his hands in the movie pie, you cannot escape his presence. Besides it's about dinos chasing and eating people, something any director can do that. JP was all about eye-candy, special effects. So, just because SS was not behind the camera will not make a difference on this flick. SS needs to stick to what he does best, eye-candy movies. Those like AI and Shindlers List are not his cup-o-tea. He needs to stick with action and special effects movies, these he does about human emotions, reality and sacrifices, blow.

So how was Eyes Wide Shut? I know you saw it because of the big SK fan you are.

If...
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Eyes Wide Shut, that's hittin Micah below the belt man, cmon, apologize....let the man try to defend his opinion...

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    edited July 2001
    Now settle down there Russ. I like going rounds with Micah, it's fun. He knows I am only playin'.

But, judging from your reaction, EWS must have been pretty bad.

If...
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Other than the gratuitous nudity, EWS was probably the worst movie ever made.

Troy
  • Ron-P
    edited July 2001
    Other than the gratuitous nudity

Really! I may just have to rent this. I may have found a new respect for Kubrick. Of course, knowing him, it's probably all male gratuitous nudity, so.....nevermind.

If...
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    If you want to see some boobies, rent some ****. Even the flesh couldn't help that dog....

Troy
  • DonP
    DonP Posts: 11
    edited July 2001
    Great! He's almost a good director but he always adds some cute stuff to every movie. Even when dinosaurs are killing people he puts the giant but cute brachyasaur sneezing on the children. Just adorable. Very self indulgent. Glad to hear he didn't do JP3. I may go see it.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited July 2001
    <gloves>

What I'm looking forward to in JP3, aside from the nifty cool SOTA dino-effects (which I'm sure will be better than the actual movie) is a) no Spielbergian manipulation and childplay and 2) Tia Leone. I know, she can't act to save anyone's life, but there's something about that slight overbite [and those legs] that drives me bananas.

And you know what? I haven't yet seen "EWS." Kubrick is a genius for "Dr. Strangelove," "2001," "Barry Lyndon" (natural light!), "Clockwork Orange." AFAIC, if only for that hilarious opening to "Strangelove," and the amazing onboard-Discovery sequence in "2001," he's a genius.

It's like, if all Lucas ever did was the original "Star Wars," he'd be a genius. Of course, he's botched that image now, proved himself a fluke director, but if that was all he ever did, he'd rank.

If Springsteen only ever wrote one single song ("She's The One") he'd be a genius.

See what I'm sayin?

</gloves>

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    edited July 2001
    Well, as long as those legs only drive you bananas. Wouldn't want to bring back up that whole crusty sock thing from the old forum.

So let me think here, Lucas would have been a genius if his movies did not go down hill, yet Kubrick is a genius even though his movies did? Hummmmmmmmm. I will say that Dr. SL and 2001 were enjoyable, but not enough to own.

I say we contact MTV and have them do a celebrity death match with SS and SK in the ring.

If...
  • Micah Cohen
    edited July 2001
    No no. Lucas is a genius even tho his movies have gone downhill. (Which is kind. Lucas is a genius for the one fluke of lucky directorial prowess that is "Star Wars.")

Kubrick is a genius for the reasons above, even if his later flicks are not up to par.

Genius could be one single thing. "She's The One," or "Star Wars." You get my gist? Genius sometimes happens and then goes away.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    how do you know all this stuff? My favorite movie of all time is American Beauty and I can't even tell you one name of one of the cast members. BTW I loved American Beauty. Destroying everything my parents stand for HeheHE. AND one of the first published movies in dts.
  • Lee Bailey
    Lee Bailey Posts: 71
    edited July 2001
    IMHO, the 6th sense was great, as well as Unbreakable. Unbreakable did seem a bit more slow to me in bringing the story along. In the 6th sense I was not aware of the ending, and also was blown away by the fact that Bruce was dead. In Unbreakable, I was caught off guard as well by Mr.Glass being the bad guy. Seems that when I watch movies, I turn off the reasoning bit, and just enjoy the flick! Of course, some movies are just too bad for even someone like me to watch. 'O brother, where art thou?' comes to mind.
    Please feel free to visit my Home Theater Page at The Bailey's Home Theatre in our Living Room.