new toy

Options
Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I'm writing this post from my new wireless Pocket PC! This thing is freakin' cool! Now I can keep up with the forum wherever I go. You know what that means, right? I'll never be bored in class again! Heheh. On an audio-related note, I can download MP3's to this thing and listen to them on either the crappy speaker or headphones. It doesn't drive my 300 ohm impedance Sennheiser's too well though. Ah well, you can't have everything I guess.

Aaron
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    Options
    techno geek.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    techno geek.
    Well, yeah......but I actually do have a reason to get one. I'm basing my senior project around it. So there!

Aaron (the techno geek, and damn proud of it!)
  • joelll
    joelll Posts: 120
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Hello...

Sennheisers not getting enough power? You might need a headphone amp.

Go to www.headphone.com, click on the intro, then click on the "Product Stuff" link, click on "headphone amps", then click on the Total Airhead. Ignore the silly name, it's $159 to buy, and should definitely do the trick.

It's their entry-level portable headphone amp, it'll add enough power to drive your Sennheisers, and sound pretty good too.

These guys are serious about headphone listening, headphones, and headphone amplifiers and accessories (products both their own and from other manufacturers). Their website is well worth visiting and reading.

And they really make me wish I had an infinite audio budget....
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Which did you get?
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I've checked out headphone amps before, but I don't do enough listening with mine to justify one. I should, though, because my Sennheiser's kick the snot out of my speakers. They'd probably be mind-blowing with an amp. I've always thought the Musical Fidelity X-Cans V2 tube amp would be pretty sweet for the price. Someday.

Aaron
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I got the new Compaq iPaq 3760. In my opinion this is the best one out there right now, and the only choice if you want to do wireless internet. HP's new Journada is nicer, but it costs $100 more and you still can't get a wireless setup for it (one will be available soon). However, by that time the higher end iPaq will be out and it should be nicer than the Journada for the same price.

Aaron
  • joelll
    joelll Posts: 120
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by Aaron
    I've checked out headphone amps before, but I don't do enough listening with mine to justify one.

I could probably do more headphone listening, but one advantage of living alone is that there's nobody to argue with over what sound echoes around my apartment. Well, except for the landlords downstairs, and I've never had a noise complaint (and plan to keep it that way).

I should, though, because my Sennheiser's kick the snot out of my speakers. They'd probably be mind-blowing with an amp. I've always thought the Musical Fidelity X-Cans V2 tube amp would be pretty sweet for the price. Someday.

Mmmm yeah. As usual, it comes down to subjective preferences. The reason I suggested the Airhead is because, unlike the X-Cans, it's designed to be portable, which is part of the point of having a portable MP3 player. Of course, wearing full-size headphones out in the big wide world can get you some looks, but sometimes one just has to pay the price.
    :)