Surround Speakers

Options
czechow
czechow Posts: 2
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I’ve recently purchased a pair of RT 2000i Main L/R speakers; I’m looking for a pair of surround speakers to compliment them. I’m looking at the RT35i vs. the f/x 500i. I’m going to place the surrounds on stands, at head level to the left and right of the listening position back aprox. 10 degrees. Will the extra tweeter in the f/x 500i’s really make all that much of a difference? (are they really worth almost twice the price of the RT35i’s?)

Any Insight on this matter would help
Thanks
--John
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited October 2001
    Options
    ...have you considered going with a pair of the 55i's? Crutchfield has them on sale for $400, which is a steal compared to what some people paid for them when they first came out. By the way, what center speaker are you using? I would recommend the 400i, which would compliment your 2000i's nicely.
  • czechow
    czechow Posts: 2
    edited October 2001
    Options
    That is a pretty good deal and I would probably go with the 55i’s over the 35i’s, however I’m still wondering if the extra tweeter in the 500i’s would make them a preferable choice (seeing as how they are designed as surround speakers)

I have already desided to go with the 400i as my center. (however it is rather large for my 27" XBR)

Thank you for your input

John
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2001
    Options
    If you are looking for movie surround, there is a reason speaker mfg's make surround speakers, they are needed for a diffused soundfield. So I would get the FX500i

If you are going to use them for 5 channel stereo I would use the use direct radiating speakers. RT35i or RT55i
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • EJ
    EJ Posts: 42
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by czechow

I have already desided to go with the 400i as my center. (however it is rather large for my 27" XBR)

Thank you for your input

John [/B]

I have the 400 as my center on a 27" Toshiba. It added some great special effects to Pitch Black when ii Fell forward in front of the screen to, fortunately, land on a stack of vhs tapes which broke it's fall as well as into pieces. (the tapes)

I use a rubber matting material that is sold to line cupboards in rv's. It's dirt cheap and will stop the 400 from sliding during thoses intense scenes where the rt2000's start earning their keep. You should be able to get that at any rv shop or go to walmart and get a table matt of the same material. You can cut it to size.

I have the rt2000p's, cs400, rt10's for surrounds and one rt35i for a rear speaker. Works great for me.

Rgds
    Emmett
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2001
    Options
    F/X 500i is a very good choice, but depend on on the size of your room and available space, RT35i may be a good candidate also...:cool:
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Just be aware that the FX500i comes in cheesey black vinyl (Grrrrr) instead of pretty wood like the polk website shows.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2001
    Options
    i have a payr on my side walls and another 2 on the back wall. it is a awsome suround. and i just got starwars epsode 1 with thx ex but i am olny pushing 100wpc rms i have the 800i and 400i for mains and center i went with the 800 caues i have real sweet subs

Bryan