TV screen turning green .

mark g. nelson
mark g. nelson Posts: 134
edited December 2002 in Troubleshooting
This weekend my brother in law and I sat down and watched some movies. About half way into the second movie he asks me if all my speakers are shielded. I answered yes. He then pointed out that my screen was turning green in the bottom left hand corner when bright colors are present. We then checked to see if the settings had been changed. Nope. we then moved all the speakers into the front room . still there. We then put the first movie back in and you can't see it. But the first movie is wide screen, so it is in the black bars. The second is full screen so it is seen. I now see it when watching tv and it is driving me nuts.
Is there a chance my speakers have a shielding problem or is the 3year old TV got problems. Thanks for any help.

TV- Panasonic 36" super flat
RT2000p
CS1000p
RTi1000
Psw1200
Post edited by mark g. nelson on

Comments

• Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited December 2002
    Turn off the TV and unplug it for about 10 minutes, make sure the juice is all outta the TV.

Then give it a good whack and call the repairman if that doesn't work.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2002
    some TV's need to be demagnatized.. usually the older ones.. newer tube type tv's do that every time you turn them on. if it won't go away after trying what Steve@3dai recommended.. call the repairman over. a 36" tube tv isn't easy to take to the repair shop.. so have someone over to your place. I am noticing a slight change of color in my 12 yr old Zenith too now. but i rack it up to it's age. still looks okay. but on some bright scenes.. i too notice a bottom left corner discoloration. it's not green though.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mark g. nelson
    edited December 2002
    Thanks for the info. It seems the demagnatization is going to be my problem. I called ultimate electronics this morning and I found that Panasonic has had some problems on the superflats. Hopefully thats all it needs. I sucks to spend money on a 3 year old TV. Also the wife swears I did something so I could get a new TV. Only if the theater room was finished!!
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    Ya, get a bigger tv. Sounds like a great opportunity. Nice speakers!!!!! I always get a good laugh when people here at Polk have a center speaker that is larger than there tv. What a riot. :lol: Good Luck.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited December 2002
    You can demagnetize your TV by using one of the bulk erasers that the Radio shack sells. Start from the middle of the screen, circle the eraser counter clockwise motion all the way to the border of the screen in the pull out position, repeat this procedure for a few times. If the problem is still exist, check the distance of the sub to your TV, must be at least more than 8 feet, if not move that big monster further away from your TV. After you do this and still have the problem, your TV tube is damage and need to be replaced. You will have to consider either to repair or buy a new TV whichever way is more cost effective.
  • mark g. nelson
    edited December 2002
    The repair guy was here today and the tube is shot. He said the Panasonic has had a pretty high number of bad tubes lately. The superFlats with tube problems have been mostly 27" models. Also the sales guy at Ultimate says that the new HD TAU models have had some Tube problems too. I'm going to live with it for now until the basement is finished, Then buy the new gear for that room. After that I will replace it. I'm not going to put $ 500 into a none HD set. Thanks for all the info guys!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2002
    mark, thanks for letting us know what the problem was. How old is your Panasonic? Is it still under warranty?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mark g. nelson
    edited December 2002
    Danger Boy,
    The set will be 4 in March, and I didn't buy the Extended Warr. So I guess I'm out of luck. I Hope this isn't a sign of things to come with Panasonic. I have liked there products and have alot of them. TV,VCR, Phones, Microwave. They have all been trouble free. But This Tv thing sounds like a design or quality control item. I will let you know if my calls to panasonic turn up anything. Mark
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited December 2002
    The tech term for demagnetizing of a t.v. is deguass. A lot of newer sets do this on their own, older ones do not have that ability.:cool:
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited December 2002
    If you consider to by a direct view TV, consider the Sony, their picture tube last forever, I have 3 Sony TVs, rank form 4 to 20 years, they're still in excellent working condition.