power the 55i's

Options
eaadams
eaadams Posts: 213
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
What price level receiver do you recommend to power the 55i's? Of corse more is better but what will do damage to use?

IE..
Onkyo 595 is a ~$500 priced receiver
Kenwood 510 is ~$600
Denon 2802 is ~$800
Denon 3802 is ~$1200
etc..

Also is there any way to run two 245's for the center? Set up some way to split the frequencies? I can't fit the 400i in my center channel cabinet.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2001
    Options
    First of all, use the 245, it is similar to the 300, which I personally liked better than the 400.

Look at Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, NAD, HK. Most any offering from these manufacturers will be solid gear. As far as pricing, spend as little or as much as you want, just get your 'set' of bells and whistles....

As far as power goes, anything offering 50wpc or more of high current power will do fine in most applications....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I'm pushing my 55i's with a Carver M1.0-t. That's 200W/ch of separates power! They sound great! Get as much high quality power as you can afford.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited October 2001
    Options
    ...I was driving my RT55's with 425W this summer with a Carver PM-1.5. What's up now, punk? :D

Aaron
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I apparently went to college in the wrong place and time. When I was in college I was pretty stoked because my Sony ghetto-blaster had a CD player.

Hell, I am still waiting to hook up my RT7's to a real power amp instead of (albeit one I like) a reciever...

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • I-SIG
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Ha, Aaron!

Mine are being driven, none of this were driven stuff!

Wes :cool: :cool: :cool:

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Well, well, I have some power amps laying around my room. I'm gonna biamp mine! Yeah, do the math baby. 120+120 = 240W > 200W! Sit down, punk! :D

Aaron

P.S. I never said they sounded better than a Carver, though....
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    Options
    ..... I got a fiver on Wes.

Troy
  • I-SIG
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Troy, I've been putting off getting another amp, but I don't want to let you down. I'll have to come up with something.

Aaron, I'll run a mono system and put the 55i's in parallel or series, either way I still win! (250W(16ohm) or 1000W(4ohm) per 55i) I'll lose the sound quality battle with this one though...

...At least I have the sound quality win (in stereo) with a Carver amp and Audio Alchemy pre. When my AQ cables and interconnects arrive, it'll be the cat's whiskers! (Thanks for that one, George.)

Now, what to do for a sub...

Wes

• TroyD
    edited October 2001
    Options
    ....would be a Paradigm Servo-15. That sub is soooooo cool. I go pay hommage to the one on display at Peachtree Acoustics every couple of weeks or so.

Troy
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2001
    Options
    ....but if you REALLY came to play...SVS, PERIOD.

These things are MONSTERS, you haven't felt a room vibrate in HT, and yet be VERY musical, until you hear these.

Just my thought, but I'm getting one, ASAP.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    Options
    There is just something about that Servo-15 that makes me drool.

Troy
  • eaadams
    edited October 2001
    Options
    For those of us not blessed with $$$ what happens when you under power a speaker like the 55i but with clean power? Say instead of 200W clean say 50W clean. Does it just play less loud? What happens when you switch to a 35i or lower with the same amout of power?
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Listen up all you hi-powered punks. I've got 75watts of high-current going into my RT55's and they hum.

eaadams, I have RT55's, a CS400 and RT25i's being fed by a Marantz SR5000. She puts out 75wpc of high-current and they sound and feel great. I have them all set to "large".

Someday I plan on adding amps, but there are more important upgrades, like my new Pregressive Scan Player. Note, that I do have a small HT room so a lot of power I do not need. I cannot even get the Marantz up to full power as it is too loud.

Good Luck:)

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Troy - Paradigm's Servo-15 makes me horny too, even though I've never heard it. There's something about "auditioning" a subwoofer that's just weird. Another sub I want to audition is the Sunfire sub. Anyway, enough drooling.

Ron -
    Being the home theater junkie that you are, I'm surprised you haven't invested in some nice amps. As I'm sure you know, it's not about loudness with an amp; it's about fullness, effortlessness, bass control and extension, etc. When I hooked a Carver up to my RT800's it was a telling experience. Receivers are nice, but amps are sexy.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I think a good analogy (courtesy of George) is kind of like have a 4 cylinder motor or a big ol V8. Sure, the 4 cyl will get you where you want to go quite nicely but the V8 will do it with power where the 4 cyl might start to fatigue.....I thought that was pretty good.

Ron,
    Right on man, I really dig Marantz power. Good stuff there.

I haven't hearned a Sunfire sub but, man, that Servo-15 just makes me weak in the knees....

Troy
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2001
    Options
    My RT-55s were powered by my Yamaha M-45 amp, I can't complaint, they sound @ their best.
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I have a Yamaha M-50 powering mine, but I could complain. How much power does your Yamaha have?

Aaron
  • PETERNG
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I believe it has 200wpc...,cool display...
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Mine's 120W, I believe. What do you think of the sound of yours? I find mine a little light on the bass, decent in the mids, and bright on the highs.

Aaron
  • PETERNG
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I have better bass response on this amp than when I using with the Sony ES receiver, mids and highs are the same as your describing. My cousin has the top of the line Yamaha amp (1000wpc) that she hooks it up with the MP special edition SDA speakers. I paid $300 for the amp, pre amp and the CD deck...
    I'm very happy to have them...
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Aaron, I am truely happy with my current sound conditions. But my video portion needed some work, so that is where the money is going first. I think, once all this progressive player stuff settles, amps will be my next investment. But they are expensive, so it may take some time.

Don't get me wrong, I want the power, but I must tend to the most needy first and that was getting a progressive player now that I have the 16:9 TV.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Makes sense, Ron. You can only spend so much money, unfortunately. Enjoy the progressive player, you trendy guy!

Aaron
  • PETERNG
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Aaron
    What did you use to drive the amp?
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Carver C-2 preamp and Sony CA80ES CD player.

Aaron
  • PETERNG
    edited October 2001
    Options
    cool... I wish I have the Carver, at this time I still used my receiver to drive the amp... thanx
  • eaadams
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Ok so if you underpower a big speaker then it'll just be less punchy? (takes more time to go from low to highs?)

So therefore the closer you can get to the max watts then you will have better sound.

Therefore if you can't get the ultra carver amp to power the 55i's 200W each then you are better off with 35i's that you can get close to their 125?
  • I-SIG
    edited October 2001
    Options
    The main thing is the quality of the power. High current power is the best. I would take 50W/ch if I had massive current to back it up. One way around super high current power is to use high voltage power. This should be as good. If you have quality power, get the 55's.

Wes

• PETERNG
    edited October 2001
    Options
    In checking my manual for the Yamaha M-45 amp last week, it listed @ 250wpc...
  • jim v.
    jim v. Posts: 25
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I tested my rt55's with 3 systems, first the Bryston 4bst 250wpc
    found the the upper range way to harsh and the bass way to
    boomy, next I hooked them up to a H/K avr80 less boomy but
    tweeter harshness was still there, next was the 45 wpc H/K 3250 integrated amp and I was suprised this worked well with the rt55's bass was nice and tight the upper end was bright but not to the point where it was fatiging I don't think it's a wattage thing I'd trust your ears of the sound.