Summary of RM7500 + RM7600?

fishferbrains
fishferbrains Posts: 5
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Hi all,

I want to put my mom into a surround sound system and am presented with the opportunity between the RM7200, 7500 and 7600.

Can someone explain in layman's terms what the difference between the 7500 and 7600 are? The local GoodGuys rep said "it's newer" <ack>; and I can't seem to distinguish where the enhancements are.

Thank you
Keith

keith_v_fischer@yahoo.com
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2001
    Hello Keith,
    Thanks for participating in the Forum. The differences between the RM7500 and the RM7600 mostly deal with the tweeters and drivers used in the satellites and the center channel speaker. The RM7500 used a 1" soft dome tweeter and an earlier version of the 5 1/4" driver. In the RM7600 we went to a 1" tri-laminate dome tweeter and the "blue" drivers, bringing improvements in treble transient response and mid-range definition. With the new components the speaker could be "re-voiced", this is a process where careful listening is done to tune the crossover network to take advantage of the changes. You could consider this as an example of "evolutionary" changes, not a dramatic break through, but step-by-step improvements to incorporate incremental increases in detail and clarity and realism.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Best regards, Ken Swauger
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited October 2001
    I just recently purchased the 7500's and the 650. I only paid $1100 for everything, and I'm rather pleased.

I, like yourself, considered going with the new 7600's instead, but couldn't quite see the $500 price difference ($1650 total for the 7600's and 650).

I was originally planning on getting the 6600's, but Circuit City actually gave me an deal on the 7500's (just $550). I took the deal right on the spot, and I couldn't be happier!

What it all comes down to, it what your ears tell you. I've got a friend who has some 55i's with the new blue cone, and he loves them. I, personally, can't tell much of a difference.

No matter what you go with, be sure to get the 650 for your sub. I traded in my 450 for one, and it completely blows everything else away... Good luck!
  • fishferbrains
    edited October 2001
    Hi Ken and MJK,

Ken - Thanks for the warm welcome and for the thoughtful explanations.

MJK - Looks like you got a tremedous deal...I hope to find something similar, although I'd clearly like to provide my mother the "latest and greatest" if possible.

A subjective question here...is there a receiver or brand that's "preferred" by a large majority of Polk surround customers that provides the source for the Polk imaging?

What do "the guys" internally at Polk like to use that's available to consumers at a reasonable price?

Thanks,
    Keith
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    That, again is pretty subjective. A lot of guys really like Onkyo, Denon, HK and Marantz to name a few.....

also depends on your budget, Accesories4less.com (or something like that) had the Marantz SR 5000 for like 297.00 not long ago. Which, I think, is a pretty sweet receiver. I have a Denon 1801 that I am pretty fond of.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • fishferbrains
    edited October 2001
    Thanks again for the suggestions..you guys rock!

I found the RM7500 series on closeout at GoodGuys for $599...now I'm contemplating whether the PSW650 is TOO big for the room (20x15).

Anyone have any opinions on using something other than the PSW650..or is it too well matched to even consider anything else?

Thanks,
    Keith
  • ncstatesman
    ncstatesman Posts: 145
    edited October 2001
    Guys, I'm new to all this hi-fi stuff, but yesterday I purchased the RM7600 with the PSW-650 for $1,275 - I jumped on that one. Today I ordered an Onkyo TX-DS898 dor $1,149 - I should get all the goodies by Monday - can't wait!!
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited October 2001
    ...sounds like you got a pretty good deal on your speakers/sub. Where did you purchase them from? I'm considering upgrading from the 7500's to the 7600's. I would like to hear what you think about your 76's.
  • eaadams
    eaadams Posts: 213
    edited October 2001
    does anyone have a webpage of a 7xxx setup? I'm intregued with how they might look in a real world enviroment./
  • ncstatesman
    edited October 2001
    mjk91383,

I got my RM7600 with 650 sub through an e-bay auction posted by an audio dealer in NJ - the speakers were advertised as factory brand new and sealed and I won the bid on Monday
    I also bought a factory sealed brand new Onkyo 898 to go with it yesterday through a different e-bay auctioner (my winning bid was $1,149) The equipment should arrive at my home no later than next Monday and it'll probably take me a week working part time to get the system tweaked the way I like it.

I found these deals out just by surfing through E-bay's home audio section. I rarely go to Ebay for anything, but I said, what the heck, maybe I can find something here and I was lucky because I had bid on this same unit late last week, but no one won because the minimum bid was not met, so the guy started a new auction which i won. If you are not in a hurry, just bide your time and another 7600 system will hopefully pop up - just go to the speaker section in E-bay and type "polk" and a list of all types of polk speakers will appear . . let me know how you do!

Good luck
  • ncstatesman
    edited October 2001
    over in the flea market section I thought I saw that phatjoker1 is selling 7500's w/2 sub woofers and an Onkyo recvr - you might want to check that out