New Polks Pic

jrausch
jrausch Posts: 510
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
For those die hard Polk fans who have yet to see the new generation. Check these out!
Found this one polking around on Audioreview's website.
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited October 2001
    Looking good. Does anyone have any idea about the price range?
  • jrausch
    edited October 2001
    Polk Audio used the recent Home Entertainment show to unveil a new six-model LSi speaker line. The series' most novel ingredient is a costly audiophile ring-radiator tweeter that also appears in other high-end speakers. Polk designed a new 5.25" mid/woofer with aerated polypropylene cone and cast aluminum basket for use in all LSi models, and the company borrowed the front-venting miniature Acoustic Resonance Control port and Power Port rear vent from its own RT speaker series, but adds a high-gloss black finish along with real cherry or ebony veneers over the new speakers' double-wall cabinets. Oxygen-free copper wiring, Mylar crossover capacitors, and pairs of gold-plated five-way binding posts are also used.

The LSi7 is a two-way bookshelf model that retails for $800 USD per pair. The larger LSi9 (shown right) is the d'Appolito-configured version of the LSi7 and retails for $1040 per pair. The two floorstanding models, the LSi25 ($3000/pair) and LSi15 ($1740/pair), differ only in their use of a 10" powered side-firing woofer versus 8" passive woofer respectively. Rounding out the line is the LSiC center-channel speaker, essentially a single LSi9 in a slightly larger cabinet ($579), and the trapezoid dipolar LSiFX rear-channel speaker that essentially combines two LSi7s into one cabinet and retails for $940/pair. The new series is expected to hit the dealer's shelves in November.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2001
    just tell me where to get them?...
  • eaadams
    eaadams Posts: 213
    edited October 2001
    Are those MSRP? What will out the door cost be?
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2001
    I just think it's sad that we spend all this time on the Polk website, but any information on new products comes from bits and pieces of other members. I just learned more form a new member than anything Polk has said.

What's up with that? How's about putting down the coffee and Krispy Kremes and post some pics, specs, descriptions, prices, and an ETA to show rooms.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • jrausch
    edited October 2001
    As a true die hard fan of Polk speakers. I understand your anxious to checkout their latest technology. The new speakers look very cool and they look like they could produce some killer imaging. I'm sure the folks at Polk are working very hard at ramping up production, while stores are working on clearing out the older stock in this slowing economy. Marketing a new line takes allot of research and the right timing. If they make it before Christmas, I would be a happy man. It's allot easier talking the better half into getting a new pair for me as a Christmas gift. At this point all we can do is complain, but we should be figuring out how to get our better halves to release the check book. I propose we start another thread on what the best excuse is to buy these new speakers. There seems to be allot of people ready to open their check books for these new beauties. We should also take a poll on how many people would be ready to buy and which models they would be interested in. I for one would love it if Polk gave us club members a special one time purchase deal on the LSi's. After all, we are some of their best sales people. I know I am. Until then.

Patience, young grasshopper.:cool:

P.S. Here's a pic of Paul DiComo with the new LS speakers.
  • gidrah
    edited October 2001
    They look sharp as hell. I'm sure the image well. I can't tell by a picture. MOST Polks do. Personally I just don't understand why there can be a picture of Paul standing next to a speaker that everyone on the Forum has expressed interest in, and yet be no information. I'm sure they are into full production. It's not like I expect trade secrets, I would just like to know what's on the horizon as I am refinancing my house and MAY come up with some extra scratch. I am looking at the possibility of spending some of this on new speakers. I won't wait around for long. For a financial decision that invovles thousands of dollars I usually consider it for a LONG time. Maybe I should get those Altec Model 19s I saw on E-bay. I know their reputation.

I may seem presumptious, but I think that we (Forum members) have shown our dedication to the Polk name. I also feel that if they are looking for people in marketing for a round-table discussion, they should look at what's in front of them and realize that there is no better advertisement than word of mouth and real-world reviews. I'm willing to bet Ken Pohlman already has a set (if not a set of each model), and yet all I get is a "They're coming soon".

Don't get me wrong. I love Polks. I just don't think they are acknowledging the hand that pets them. Even if we don't feed them.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited October 2001
    Geez, you guys gotta give Micah and Paul some credit here! They did post this Word document awhile ago clearly outlining the LSi series. Read and rejoice.

Aaron
  • cable9
    cable9 Posts: 1
    edited October 2001
    Well Im on here checking out how not only are Polk spkrs incompetent but Polk audio reps are just as incompetent,Im glad I was smart enough to buy B&W spkrs for my home Polk only was able to scam me out of $520.00 I guess I should feel fortunate?! To the rest of you Polk victims I say give B&W a try you'll never go back.As for a decent pair of car spkrs(MM100's are junk) Im still looking.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited October 2001
    Perhaps you would like to add some support (and punctuation) to your statements. I will agree that 1) some Polk salesmen, such as the ones at CC, are poor, 2) B&W speakers are very good, and 3) Polk car speakers aren't the greatest. However, Polk makes an excellent home speaker for the money, and declaring them as "incompetent" without even giving some basis for such a statement is ridiculous. While you're entitled to your own opinion, next time you want to make a post like that, remember that this is, after all, a Polk forum. The tone of your post was rude and tasteless. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    Aaron has hit the nail on the head.

First, I would suggest if you are going to be insulting at least be able to do it on something higher than the third grade level.

Second, while B&W does make great speakers, I will put my RT7's up against just about any other bookshelf out there, to include B&W. The only bookshelf out there that I like almost as well is the Paradigm Studio Reference 20 and they are quite a bit more expensive.

Third,
    If you want to act like a complete moron and bash Polk at the same time, do it somewhere else.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • eaadams
    edited October 2001
    still .. if msrp what will be in store?

New question, will the LSi be made in TJ or in the USA?

Is there a question as to wether or not they will be out befor x-mass?!
  • jrausch
    edited October 2001
    Your final price can only be determined by your local dealer. You should call them and let them know which ones your interested in and maybe they can shoot you a guesstimate. I would think it would be in Polk's best interest to have them available for X-mas. I had never seen the new series until I found those pictures, just thought it would be nice to post them for those who had not seen them yet. I should have paid more attention to the caveat about swimming with the sharks. Now I'm just a piece of dangling chum. :rolleyes:
  • eaadams
    edited October 2001
    well the thing is as it is now you can't find any good prices on RT speakers because they are all price fixed between dealers. However, the LSi are supposed to be much more high end and I had heard were supposed to be in more high end stores. It is in those such stores that you can usually get a deal on speakers.
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited October 2001
    they said in the begining (like march or something when they first revealed them at an expo of some sort). that they would be out in nov.
  • gidrah
    edited October 2001
    To call Polk speakers incompetent only serves to verify your ignorance. While I was upset and possibly a little harsh I still think Polk makes quality speakers. I've heard alot about them, but not from the Polk. Thanks Aaron. I must have missed that one.

You compared them to B&W: Duh, did somebody tell you of that brand or something? Or do you just know they're expensive (I call it overpriced) and just concluded they MUST be the whip? B&W has NEVER (EVER) built a speaker with the sound quality of my Monitor 10Bs for anything less than 10X the price of what I paid. I could say B&W is incompetent and that you should get JMLabs.

Which speakers did Polk (scam) $520 out of you with? Which B&Ws did you get?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2001
    ...Don't get me started on B&W, I have them AND Polks all serving active duty. Not jumping down your throat gidrah, I like you alot...but there are plenty of B&W models, from the same time period (P series for ex) as the 10b's, priced within $100 or so of the 10's, that will go toe-to-toe with the 10's IMHO. (classic run-on sentence?)

Jm Lab? Good call, can't really go wrong with Focal drivers. I do however find the inverted ceramic domes somewhat fatiguing at higher levels.

Anyway, thats how my ears hear it.

Remember guys, this is a highly subjective and opinionated hobby we have here..... Polk, B&W, Jm Lab, Wilson, Pro AC..... etc etc etc.....noone is the 'last' word in speakers.

2 posts from this guy, I doubt he will show his face anymore....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    This is a VERY subjective hobby, it's funny how no 2 people hear things in quite the same way...I've got a buddy that bought a pair of Klipsch KG-4's in 1986 and think they are the cat's meow and I think they are painful to listen to. I also own some older big Pioneers and Sansuis (both hooked up to the garage rig) as well as Boston Acoustic A100's that I really dig. While they are all different, I can't say that I dislike any of them and I think it is hard to say that this brand is inherently better than another.

If I did have the cash, I would probably look at B&W as well. I also think that Paradigm makes damn good speakers. I really like the Studio Reference Series and I think the LSi's look a lot like them.

Troy
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2001
    You guys are great. We all love you. I wish I had all day to sit on this forum and hang out -- I love it.

Here's what I can tell: Scheduled to ship sometime in Nov. MSRP may or may not reflect dealer cost -- that's up to the dealer. Imaging is spectacular. Time to either buy discounted RTi product, or have a little patience and give LSi a listen when you can. I promise, either decision will be worth your while. New model RTi is a little ways off. Old model RTi is still great stuff (as I said, I love my 55i's).

I apologize for any rough treatment anyone got from a salesperson, we try to train adequately, provide sales forces with enough info (more than most other companies I know) but you know... The business is fluid and there's really no keeping up. Hopefully next time you're shopping you'll get a good salesperson.

As soon as I know more, I'll post it! I am here for you! Thanks for your support. Polk fans make this job great. I am thankful for you.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    ...are you bucking for a raise or something? That was pretty politically correct and smarmy, don't you think? "You guys are great. We all love you. I wish I had all day to sit on this forum and hang out -- I love it"....did you get some this weekend or what?

Troy
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited October 2001
    Troy, he is watching too many movies lately:cool:
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    OK, if the LSi's ship in November....you are coming dangerously close to missing out on some holiday sales. Namely, mine.

The lovely Wendi does not wait until the last minute to buy gifts which means I have to have my act togther and submitted for consideration NLT 1 October. This doesn't bode well for myself and Russ in that order. I guess I will have to take my chances with that fat, red pimp suit wearing ****.

Troy
  • eaadams
    edited October 2001
    That's big news that the RTi's are gona be replaced!
    That explaines the $400 55i's

Too bad Micah didn't adress the MSRP issue.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2001
    You guys... I'm starting to NOT love you.

I thought I mentioned the MSRP thing, how the dealer makes the price decision. Is there something else you need to know about MSRP?

Have patience for the LSi, I think it will be worth it. These things -- good things -- take time. I am so completely impressed and awe struck that you guys are onto this stuff, products that haven't even come out. You are loyal, and yes I love you for that. I pray (and I don't usually) that the LSi impresses you.

I didn't get ANYTHING this weekend. In fact, I'm overtired and stressed out. Who knows what the hell I'm writing?

;)

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • eaadams
    edited October 2001
    So it is just coincidence that every Polk speaker is the same price from store to store UNLESS they are clearing them out.

I know you can't acknowledge price fixing ... because it is a federal crime ... but I just want to know where the LSi's are going to be sold. I was under the impression that as High End speakers they would not be a Crutchfield / CC / Good Guys item.
  • jrausch
    edited October 2001
    ******************WARNING******************

KILLER SHARKS HAVE BEEN SPOTTED OFF OF THIS BEACH.
    ONE CASUALTY HAS DIED FROM A SEVERE ATTACK.
    SWIMMING IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED, VIOLATORS WILL BE
    PERSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW.

******************WARNING*******************
  • gidrah
    edited October 2001
    Aw shucks! Don't sweat it. I like you too. Now that I'm not pissed at Cable9, I am willing to admit that SOME B&Ws are reasonably priced. I picked up my 10Bs over 12yrs. ago for less than $300/pr. I just wasn't aware B&W made a full-range speaker in that ballpark.

I was mostly upset because I feel he used my reply to only further his stupidity. I feel used for something I disagree with.
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    dude....I didn't mean it like that bro, I am not saying that I won't get a pair, just probably not at the holiday season....I am with ya brother and I appreciate all that you do.

Troy
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited October 2001
    Getting in here a little late, but the LSi line looks pretty sweet, I am looking forward to giving them a demo in Nov. The only problem now is, should I hold off on getting the RT800i's???
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2001
    Dear Polk (Micah & Paul),

Please extend distribution of the LSI series to circuit city. Many polk fans have purchased speakers at cc within the past year and would like to use their speaker trade-up policy/opportunity to purchase ALL polk products from any authorized distributer.

Personally, I'd like to trade-in my vinyl-clad FX500i speakers for a set of LSI FX surrounds.
    Of course, I can't do that if you don't authorize circuit city to distribute the LSI speakers.

Here is your opportunity to make up for the fact that you sold me a vinyl (in lieu of advertised wood) FX500 speaker to begin with. Right now, I'm not too happy with you about this incident.

Thank you for listening.